SDD Chosen Language (1 Viewer)

sunny

meh.
HSC
If I had the choice...I'd choose not to sit the HSC but get a good UAI anyway. :p

ruey

yes hsc is very stupid,

teaching wrong info, in excess amounts expecting us to learn it all in a very short space of time,

then the actual process of getting marks is so screwed up, its the worst its ever been, and this is supposed to determine apart of our lives, nice work bos nice work.

del

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ruey
...seems to me its hard to find a software dev teacher,
because if you do know all that is required, why the fuck are you a teacher instead of a dev working for compaq?

I think I'm one of the lucky few who get a 'real' SDD teacher...

ruey

wana swap ???

:p

sif use java u bums,

.net interoperability and multiplatform capabilities shits on java,
actually no, it shits on java beats it with a stick then jumps on it then burns it, thats how much better it is

Last edited:
T

tactic

heh, i think one of my lecturers thinks along your lines of thinking ruey.

ruey

:D anyone with knowledge of new technologies is along my way of thinking, read up on .net ul see what i mean

sunny

meh.
HSC
I'm not sure about new technologies......

Microsoft tends to reinvent the wheel, but I gotta say sometimes they do a good job with it.

ruey

reinventing the wheel, obviously u havnt read anything about .net

up until vb6 they still had vb1 syntax function yadda yadda, for vb.net they erased the whole language and started again, now its a true oo language,

the whole dev environment all languages etc are seemless, everything shares the same ide, same debug engine and the list goes on,

sunny

meh.
HSC
hehe...you got me all wrong matie!

By reinventing the wheel, I mean they are taking ideas that have already been used or presented, but they almost present it like a new idea. Of course I know about the features etc etc of .net. I've been programming VB for 5 years, you think I didn't get my hands on a copy of the beta when it came? ;)

For example, IBM's OS/2 was developed in partnership with MS. But MS left the project and used what it learnt to develop NT. So why didn't OS/2 get the spotlight? Yes although OS/2 was abit bloated, but NT was presented as 'the thing' even though the ideas were already around in OS/2.

C#. MS's only reason to develop C# was to compete with Java. This was because it lost a court case with Sun because MS was accused of supply a JVM not meeting the specifications to kill the language.

Like you say before, .net has interoperability. Things like MyServices (aka HailStorm). Though such ideas were already around when Sun's motto was still "The network is the computer".

C# might run on alot of platforms, but Java2EE already runs on at least 26 platforms and already has a large population of programmers supporting it (all J2EE, SE, and ME). Yes I know Java is slow, I'm not big fan of Java either.

hys

auscentral.com|auspal.com
I dont think so, I think there learn a new language ... mainly C

maybe just how the structure of language works

sunny

meh.
HSC
Hmm...unless you've got a programming experience, I don't think there'll be much.

When it comes to practicals and actually programming, theres going to be abit of lead if you've got experience with the language you are using.

But when you learn theory, although it might come easier for you, other people can study just as hard, learn just as much, and do just as well in exams.

Gosh that happens in SDD already! Anyone can do just as well in an exam if they study hard enough, whether they can write good programs or not.

ruey

sunny, about the ibm ms thing, as usual its all about who is the doggiest company with the biggest "business" brain, who is smarter in terms of bussines,

the whole sun side of development will die off, .net with soap, and all non desktop related utilities and sdks is massive in comparison, mobile toolkit, ce mobile phones all the lil bitch devices u will lose within 2 months of buying because they r so small are supported,

suns technologies are going down the tube fast, when businessess start realising what .net can do, and as soon as the devs convince the big blokes upstairs that they should migrate to .net sun/java will die.

.net show off msdn is always interesting if u have broadband to dl it with, usually 200meg+ on high res

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yes thats right MS has a bigger marketing brain, which proves my point about MS's "new technologies".

Perhaps from another point of view....UltraSPARC machines have been for a while...they're 64 bit. So then why the fuss when Intel came up with Itanium?

But you're right too about Java dying off sooner or later, but there's still going to be supporters around (like those who still program in COBOL or still use OS/2). Considering J2EE already has made its way into infrastructures that run banks and the sort, it'll be a while before it gets phased out. But thats why companies evolve. When the "the computer is the network" idea didn't work out (mostly because of obessions with TCO), they went to "we put the dot in dot com" (ie, Java), and now its more like "take it to the nth" (not sure what thats supposed to be though).

There will always be a market that a product cannot target, no matter its level of interoperability. If that doesn't stop them, maybe some other anti trust case will! But hey don't get me wrong, I'm not some anti-Microsoft Linux freak, otherwise I wouldn't have programmed VB for so long.

So like you say, its who can market better - alot of the time its reinventing the wheel, not really to do so much with 'knowledge of new technolgies'.

ruey

yer true, but there is a certain point where the line is very faint between re-inventing the wheel and new technologies, u can re-invent something to the extreme, to the point almost where the unerlying features make it seem like a whole new concept,

i think that is where .net is.

fark u seem like u know alot, r u doing the hsc or are an admin/uni grad/someone older than hsc peeps

sunny

meh.
HSC
Once something gets nicely decorated enough I think thats true too!

....and I'm sitting the hsc this year.

I just happen to know alot of Java and Sun because I got chosen to do a Java programming scholarship from Sun last year, and you can probably guess you get fed a fair bit of 'propaganda' once there. But other than that I just read up alot, even the history things that most people don't read about ;)

But you gotta admit Sun comes up with some nice mottos.....'the network is the computer' for NC concept...'we put the dot in dot com' for Java and now this 'take it to the nth' thing.

If you ask me it sure beats 'where do you want to go today?' :D

Last edited:

hys

auscentral.com|auspal.com
Pascal has gotta be the worst language ...

I don't even know why text book would use it anymore

but i'm glad recent text books are steadly moving to VB...

Visual Basic is the way to go ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)