SDD Essay (1 Viewer)

village_idiot69

HSC
Well going by the emptiness of this forum i dunno if i'll get any replies, but right now i have to do the Essay on social and ethical issues, i dunno if every school does one but we are, and i need any recources cos i'm stuck, and ive got nothing, and it's due on friday...
The essay topic is...
"Decisions that are made by software developers can have a wide-ranging effect on the community"
Anybody who can link me to any information, or has done this or a similar essay and can help me please post, i have searched everywhere, this is my last hope...

sunny

meh.
HSC
Its quiet because the HSC is finished now.

There are many famous cases of software failures causing accidents and mishaps that are great discussion topics for social and ethical issues. Try researching for the Ariane V rocket, and the Therac 25 X ray machine.

Simpler issues you can look at may be the GUI, look and feel of software and the way it affects people.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Ah!

Napster is an excellent social and ethical case. The development of software that (un)intentionally caused billions of dollars of piracy over it's operational period.

Also, look into the Microsoft 'Antitrust' case, which is an interesting topic about the ethical responsibilties of corporate monopolies.

And the only other thing I can suggest is to research 'Palladium' - the new generation of User-Control being developed for the next Microsoft MS, theoretically allowing remote MS Operators to delete illegal files etc - lots more ethical issues in that topic.

Best of luck =)

Med

PimpMyNoob

HSC
sry lol im not sure if this has anything to do with it - i just woke up, but wouldnt the GUI case be good for it?

Loriden

HSC
This may be out on a limb, but an error made by a developer in World of Warcraft caused an epidemic. I would strong advise against going into details of it, but rather discuss teh effects of errros on clients.

the link is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_blood

Good luck.

Loriden

HSC
Holy hell i need to lrn2read .... how long has this forum been dead?

crammy90

HSC
Knurlanheim said:
This may be out on a limb, but an error made by a developer in World of Warcraft caused an epidemic. I would strong advise against going into details of it, but rather discuss teh effects of errros on clients.

the link is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_blood

Good luck.
that was the funniest thing i have read in ages lol i was actually laughing ahaha
just imagine all those addicted people just seeing dead people around them and then their life going down ahaha
like they were loosing their soul ahaha

thenuker6

HSC
N/A
For social and ethical issues, it would be good to discuss the developer's rights and responsibilities

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)