sdd help required for evolution of prog languages (1 Viewer)

xlr9

HSC
N/A
sdd help needed (via forum OR tutoring arrangement)

can any1 possible help me out here. I particularly need some help understanding some of the content (particularly algorithms) in "evolution proprogramming languages". my teacher chose the teach the other option topic (but i hate it) and i need some quality tuition to bring me up to speed. i live on the south coast, but i'll be in syd for a few days kinda soon.... if i could meet up with some1 that can talk me thru the option topic stuff, i'd be happy 2 pay etc :)

please keep this thread in the sdd forum. sdd tutoring is a niche area and the thread wont get the required views in the buy/sell tuition forum

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
hmmm... i dont find being tutored for 1/2 theory subject is worth it, u can study on ur own and ask people on the forums, if u want u can add me to MSN, and bother me, i wouldnt mind...

xlr9

HSC
N/A
I ended up doing pathways (hsc over 2 years)

hornetfig

HSC
well it's not as though any of the teachers could have taught you Evolution either - just read the content of the three texts (Heinmann, PDC, Excel)

Last edited:

xlr9

HSC
N/A
hornetfig said:
well it's not as though any of the teachers could have taught you Evolution either - just read the content of the three texts (Heinmann, PDC, Excel)
thanks for the advice. I have read through all the texts and understand each of the concepts (paradaigms, inheritance etc etc) but I don't understand algorithms (in the evolution chapter). I think what i really need is some hands on tuition with some1 who knows what they're talking about (ie NOT my teacher :p)

funniboi

HSC
Try the Buy/Sell Tutition section in the General Forum.

xlr9

HSC
N/A
funniboi said:
Try the Buy/Sell Tutition section in the General Forum.
dang! can a mod plz move this back to the software design forum. it isn't going to get enough coverage here. sdd tuition is a pretty niche area. thx :)

xlr9

HSC
N/A
does ne1 have the solutions 2 the indep trial (esp Q24b). This is the kinda stuff im having trouble with:

artfaggette

dongs
HSC
xlr9 said:
does ne1 have the solutions 2 the indep trial (esp Q24b). This is the kinda stuff im having trouble with:

I second this request, I'm completely stuck, as is my teacher, my friends and the remainder of the class.
:mad:
Thankee

sunny

meh.
HSC
I will do the first two, see if it helps.

i) Identify the paradigm supported by the above programming language. Justify your response
I would say this is a functional language. It has features of a functional paradigm
1) There are only functions
2) It uses recursion
3) There are no variables
4) Values in the parameters do not change

ii) Describe the processing that occurs during the evaluation of the expression (this 4)
I will re-write the code here to make it more readable:
Code:
this n
  if n = 0
    return 0
  else
    return n + this(n-1)

f1 a b
  if b > a
    return 0
  else
    return b + f1(a,b++)

that n
  f1 n 1
If you call (this 4)
this will execute, where n = 4.

This sequence of steps would follow:
Code:
this 4
return (4 + this 3)
return (4 + return 3 + this 2)
return (4 + return 3 + return 2 + this 1)
return (4 + return 3 + return 2 + return 1 + this 0)
return (4 + return 3 + return 2 + return 1 + return 0)
Therefore, this 4 calculates 4+3+2+1+0.

xlr9

HSC
N/A
i have the official solutions. (although i dont understand them) will post them 2nite

artfaggette

dongs
HSC
Much appreciated. It actually makes sense now!
Thankyou so much sunny and also xlr9 (in advance).

xlr9

HSC
N/A
24b

here is the official answers (typed out) for indep 24b. I still don't totally understand parts i/ii/iii/iv. If some1 could please shed some light I'm sure we would all be very greatful.

http://port80.fastmail.fm/24b.html

edited: changed URL

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
xlr9 said:
here is the official answers (typed out) for indep 24b. I still don't totally understand parts i/ii/iii/iv. If some1 could please shed some light I'm sure we would all be very greatful.

http://www.vbux.com/24b.html
What don't you understand about i and ii? If you have a good understanding of the different paradigms, you should be able to answer part i fairly easily.

As for part ii, try and follow what I have written above. The first time this 4 is executed, it will perform:
4 + this 3

When you execute this 3, it will perform:
3 + this 2

This brings the current solution to 4 + (3 + this 2)

Then this 2 executes........and so on, until this 0 is called, at which point this returns 0 instead of calling this again.

This particular behaviour of a functional repetitively invoking itself (this calling this calling this....) is called recursion. Although recursion can also be done in other paradigms, it is a distinct feature in functional languages, in that it relies on recursion to work properly.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)