sdd scaling (1 Viewer)

andy jay

i was speaking to my teacher the other day about why sdd doesn't get scaled that well despite it being a 'harder' subject. He said that some computer teacher conference raised this issue with BOS and that we should expect higher marks, higher scaling and more band 6's.

Is this true, or is my teacher just talking shit?

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Yeah they did change the band descriptors this year so we should hopefully be seeing higher ALIGNED marks and more band 6's.

As for scaling, there's a whole section of the forum devoted to it. Go read it.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
I hope that is true, and like aligned marks, scaled marks are bumped up :D

The main reason for SDD to have inferior scaling is because a lot of people do the subject because of the 'practical' application side of it, and also the fact of arrogance "omg i can code mannnn!" brings the overall candidature down.

Winston

HSC
The sole reason previous yrs saw so low candidates fitting in the Band 6 level was because if they answered about 80 - 85% they'll only be able to hit a Band 5, previous yrs papers had the fewestr Band 6 type questions, which not many people got correct as well as getting 85% of the exam correct, this yr the band descripters are changed a bit so that the questions written may fit in the band descriptors.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Scaling can't be 'bumped up' by an administrative decision. :)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
One minute I'm told it scales well (by my teacher, no less), the next I'm told it scales badly...

I really don't know what to believe anymore

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
According to 2002, it scales averagely.

Don't get confused by what the BOS does and what the UAC does.

The BOS aligns it very well as what most past years students believe.

The UAC scales it down, to the same extent of what another subject with similar scaling would of scaled if they achieved similar raw marks.

leeraff

HSC
(straight from my teacher) ok the course band descriptors were changed last year (2002), but not in time for the 2002 test. So we are lucky in a sense that the band descriptors have become easier and are being used this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)