• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

sdd scaling (1 Viewer)

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Originally posted by Da Monstar
"...even uni students doing computing find it hard to do some of the algorithms asked."
There's a whole bunch of them here that haven't seemed to have touched a keyboard in their lives. *Sigh*

Don't use Uni as a comparison (first-years, anyway. :p ).

(Edit - I do believe those I refer to spend all their time combing their hair and "goin' shoppin' like".)

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
I think generally people who do SDD are pretty smart. I mean half the people in my class are the 4 unit maths, chess club, computer programming competition kinda people. I swear there's a bunch of guys in my class who completly fit the geek stereotype you see on television, the whole nerd laugh, "let's spend all our free time talking about maths", "argue with the teacher about some minor technality of a concept in the textbook until the teacher breaks down."
well for me its the stupid teacher who is the problem, i mean the students know more that her. You rather put a dummy in our class instead of her and it wouldn't make a difference (well maybe there will be a difference in the oxygen levels of the room:p) and plus for out half yearlies she gave us a trial paper with question from the topics that we haven't done!!!!!:mad: maybe thats why software gets scaled down...

edit: did i tell you...we (our class) are all gonna fail so thats a blow to the scaling...;)

Last edited:

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by Bon
I think most SDD classes consists of fuckwits that don't give 2 shis and just wanna spend their time playing q2 over the network and other useless shit.

Most of them can't even understand the concept of an array, let alone code anything.
Too fucken true, sdd is hard yet so many dumb shit do it and they make it so boring now!!! bloogy subject makes me so angry!!!
And the scalling arnt that good either !!!:mad:

enter~space~cap

{Enter-Space-Capsule}
in our sdd class, half of the guys in there just play flash games and spam other peoples folders with these text docs for the whole lesson, and the teachers looks like a boatperson and shes always half asleep.

she just tells us to summarise stuff off the book and thats why we're all gonna fail the sdd half yearly exam tomorrow.

And thats why im gonna drop it when i get to yr12

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Snapwizard

Too fucken true, sdd is hard yet so many dumb shit do it and they make it so boring now!!! bloogy subject makes me so angry!!!
And the scalling arnt that good either !!!:mad:
in yr 11 we had that problem. we had around 45 people doing it. now in yr12 all the bludgers dropped it and theres 14 people. so much better now.

Fiona

At my school the average for SDD is pretty low. I was top of the grade last year (although there were only about 20 of us at the time, and now are only about 15) and my mark was only in the high 80s...

Like other people have mentioned about their classes, most of the people in my class really shouldn't be doing SDD. They spend most of their time taking advantage of our broadband connection, so they watch their movies or TV episodes or whatever (I can't tell, they're not in English so I don't recognise what it could be), while those of us who do actually want to learn something suffer, because we don't have a real teacher.

So far during SDD in years 11 and 12 we have had 5 teachers. As a last resort, one of our deputy principals has to be our teacher because there isn't a single other qualified SDD teacher in the entire state. Great. :rolleyes:

Ja. Stupid SDD, I really don't see the point of it as a subject at the moment. Pointless, much? :apig:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
when i went and complained, my principle assures me that she is "qualified and accredited teacher" well if thats so why can't she even program a single program???

maybe they should test sdd teachers to see if they know how to program or not.........that will deal with all the problem!:D

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
although it would be helpful for the teacher to know to program, its not that important. for us it isnt at least. to teach most of the crap in the course involves hardly any programming skills.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
approximately how many ppl in the state get band 6 for sdd?
like percentage wise?

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
in 2001 it was 0.24% and i think it went up slightly for 2002.

Actuarial Boy
HSC
woahh.. *prays ill get that high*

the practical component is marked by ur skool yea?

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i think so...im not exactly sure how it all works

Actuarial Boy
HSC
ok thankyou

thats gud news for me since my teachers r all so stupid T.T

Winston

HSC
i mean the whole course rigged
honestly the board of studies do have errors in courses here and there and it's just the qualifications within teachers
i'm finding most teachers in many school slacking off, or being taught by a student
isn't that a bit weird...

Actuarial Boy
HSC
yes it is weird
we have to teach our sdd teacher every freaken thing ...

sshh

HSC
N/A
scaling

scaling is a very complex thing. I have only ever met one person who knows "everything" about it - not me I',m afraid :).
I know that scaling is a horizontal as well as a vertical thing. i.e horizontal where each person is compared with themself compared to their other subjects (so you have to perform equally well in all subjects or you cause yourself to "scale" - I guess is one way to put it) and vertical where each person is compared with every other person (if your school as a group performs better than the rest of the state then you will likely feel that subject scaled well for you).
I don't think it is valid to say a "subject" scales (up or down) - however, the more things change the more they stay the same and I do believe there are a couple of subjects that traditionally attract the most able candidates ... . Apart from this scaling is done on the basis of those subjects that are deemed good preparation for uni level of study and to form a rank order list of those ppl who are most likely to succeed at uni - so they can be offered the places first...

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I reckon UAI scaling is more mysterious than the Universe...
I guess that makes Lazarus, Stephen-Hawking

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
Apart from this scaling is done on the basis of those subjects that are deemed good preparation for uni level of study and to form a rank order list of those ppl who are most likely to succeed at uni - so they can be offered the places first...

This is absolute rubbish.
Well, yes and no. You've got the link backwards. That's not really why scaling is done. But it is the very reason why UAIs are calculated. A UAI is the best single indicator of a student's performance in their first year of university. Ergo, it must be calculated fairly and accurately; hence the need for scaling. Minor distinction.

I would only dispute the first part - "scaling is done on the basis of those subjects that are deemed good preparation for uni level of study".

He seems to have a better grasp of the system than a lot of people. :) Always good to see and hear a different point of view.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)