• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

SDD scaling (1 Viewer)

How do u take SDD?

• Seriously

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Not seriously

Votes: 13 28.3%

• Total voters

Kulazzi

HSC
theres currently 9 ppl in my prelim class.

Me and only two other girls are keeping it, the other six are dropping it cos the teacher hardly teaches us anything, so we'll probably have to combine with the boys' school across the road ;) :p

I'm just keeping it as a backup subject just in case I stuff up one of my HSC exams

HSC
if u look at the syallabus there isnt much init like for those people who said they dont get taught much do u programme alot or more than have thoery

Cotlone

It wasn't offered at my school so i do it through Distance Education. Its based at Karabar High School in Quenbyan [near Canberra]. It think there is around 30 people in the 'class' from around the state.
I find it pretty hard to get motivated into doing the work if i stop - i really enjoy the subject though. Is it a hell of a lot of work - though i managed to top the assessments[96% on the last one :)] and the exam .

Cotlone

Thanks,
I'm in Year 12.
85 is a pretty good average - I'd be happy with that. I dunno what my ave is, cant be bothered to work it out - it would involve searching - ie getting out of my chair:D.

HSC
no i dont actually think now its my ave i think its my overall assessment mark(so far) i think.... either way if i keep it at that im like top 20 or something in da state but top in my class...lol...

this_guy

i'm also top of my class out of 7 ppl, but its only me and another guy that pass, no-one else takes it seriously

raymes

HSC
same pretty much -- theres a couple of guys who try though
still i dont feel great cause im top of this class
lol

I

Iota

My teacher doesn't teach anything. Is this normal? Is it OK for year 11? What happens if he still won't teach us anything in year 12?

Last lesson he taught us how to bypass basic SQL password checks - something I already knew, and something completely irrelevant.

HSC
yeh most teachers dont teach teach until the tion topic in year 12....

the rest of it u learn by doing practical programming like the design process and stuff like that but there are a view things like EBNF that are easier to get someone to help with that but nah not really that much teaching involved

HSC
yeh most teachers dont teach teach until the tion topic in year 12....

the rest of it u learn by doing practical programming like the design process and stuff like that but there are a view things like EBNF that are easier to get someone to help with that but nah not really that much teaching involved

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Software doesnt get the difficulty rating it deserves. Compared to software the sciences are so easy. Relatively few people can understand software and even fewer can do very well in it.

raymes

HSC
acmilan1987 said:
Software doesnt get the difficulty rating it deserves. Compared to software the sciences are so easy. Relatively few people can understand software and even fewer can do very well in it.
you got that right

and theres so much crap you have to remember about the ethics of it all and project management on top of the skills that you must develop

id say the majority of candidates believe they have the algorithm writing and interpreting skills they need but are far from it

Mithoric

HSC
Wish it scaled better. The gap between me and everyone else is pretty damn big lol.. About 50%, maybe more.

Mithoric

HSC
raymes said:
you got that right

and theres so much crap you have to remember about the ethics of it all and project management on top of the skills that you must develop
I disagree, economics leaves SDD for dead in the amount of crap you have to remember. I can remember pretty much everything we've learnt straight of the top of my head for SDD, economics on the other hand is quite different in that respect. Perhaps it's just that my interest lies with SDD more so I don't forget anything. SDD is essentially common sense.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think thats the main problem with alot of people that do SDD (not you necessarily), especially those in my class. Just memorising the content doesn't necessarily mean that you will go good. For other subjects that contain 10 times more theory than SDD, memorising the notes works for me, but for SDD you are often asked to apply your knowledge to situations that can completely catch you off guard.

Mithoric

HSC
Yeah I agree with that, I've been forced to think a few times.. The one thing that really ticks me off with SDD exams is how the damn people who make them can't write the EBNF/BNF questions correctly. They're usually M/C and none of the answers are correct so you have to pick the best answer, why can't they just do it right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)