SDD study thread (1 Viewer)

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
I'm gonna try this one without text book reference, so sorry if I fail:

Translation is the process of converting low level source code into machine-executable object code ready to be executed. It involves three stages:
1- Lexical analaysis - breaking up the code using delimiters to be analysed as single commands
2 - syntactical analysis - checking if the code is syntactically correct
3 - type-checking - ensures that the data types are valid
4 - production of object code - produces the final machine-executable code

What are the different types of abstract data?

Snoople

HSC
studying for software is really dull imo
i might do some past papers..but i usually die at the algorithms

anyways know approx raw marks to hsc marks?

greatgreeks2

HSC
I came across a question that said:

represent the CASEWHERE statement in EBNF format

I just wrote:
casewhere = < case1 > | < case 2 > | < case 3 > ENDCASE

Is that correct????

Last edited:

lolrofllol

HSC
I came across a question that said:

represent the CASEWHERE statement in EBNF format

I just wrote <CASEWHERE>= case1 | case 2 | case 3 ENDCASE

Is that correct????
Hmm, I would've done something like this:

Variable = string{string}
Relational Operator = | = | != | < | > | etc.
string = a|b...|z
digit = 0|1...|9

Multiway selection = (CASEWHERE < variable >){case < relational operator >< variable >|< digit >|< string > (< statement >)}(OTHERWISE < statement >) ENDCASE

If it was 3+ marks I would add the top bit, otherwise waste of time.

Last edited:

greatgreeks2

HSC
hmm i see where ur comming at but y would you make it so complex.

oh and it is worth 2 marks

HailSatan

HSC
Yeah I uh, never learnt EBNF because I thought it was completely useless outside of SDD, what do all the symbols mean lol?

ibrian

HSC
in simple language
- < do something >
- | option to choose what to do |
- { repetition }
- [option]

and u mix them up and combine them to form statements

might brush up on railroad diagrams as well cuz they're usually linked together. usually a one marker in multi choice anyway

robm

HSC
in simple language
- < do something >
- | option to choose what to do |
- { repetition }
- [option]

and u mix them up and combine them to form statements

might brush up on railroad diagrams as well cuz they're usually linked together. usually a one marker in multi choice anyway

i know that anything inside these brackets <> is a terminal symbol (something defined elsewhere) but can someone further explain this?

lolrofllol

HSC
i know that anything inside these brackets <> is a terminal symbol (something defined elsewhere) but can someone further explain this?
Yeah, like you said, a terminal symbol is defined elsewhere, so for example:

word = < letter >{< letter >}

letter is a terminal symbol because it is defined elsewhere as:

letter = a | b | c | ... | z

If you then used

sentence = {< word >< space >}

word and space will be terminal symbols, i.e. defined elsewhere

lolrofllol

HSC
What are the different types of abstract data?
Hmm, is abstract data the OOP characteristics? Like classes and whatnot?

Outline how a bubble sort works and show how each element is moved in the array = 4,3,6,2

e.g.
[4,3],6,2
3,[4,6],2

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
Hmm, is abstract data the OOP characteristics? Like classes and whatnot?

Outline how a bubble sort works and show how each element is moved in the array = 4,3,6,2

e.g.
[4,3],6,2
3,[4,6],2

Abstract data as in simple data...sorry I knew it was worded ambiguously...

I'll just answer my question and yours..

Simple/abstract data types=
Boolean, string, character, integer, real.... I think thats all of them?

Your question:

A bubble sort works by comparing data by pairs and letting the higher number 'bubble' to the top of the list
For example:

1st pass = [3,4],[2,6]
2nd pass = 3,[2,4],6
3rd pass = [2,3],4,6

DONE
:D

Question:
What is live test data and what different paths does it test? (e.g. mix of transaction types)

Handmedown

HSC
Question:
What is live test data and what different paths does it test? (e.g. mix of transaction types)
Live test data is a range of inputs used to simulate inputs that might occur in an operational setting. They are entered directly into the program.

Paths such as mix of transaction types, volume data, large file size, response time and interface between modules. Also outputs should be compared with test data and expected results.

Question:
What factors will influence the programming language used?

Bonus Elective Question!
Explain the historial reason behind Object Oriented Programming and its main concepts.

Interdrama

#wang
HSC
Explain the historial reason behind Object Oriented Programming and its main concepts.
The Object Oriented Paradigm (OOP) was developed as programmers began to realise the increasingly repetitive nature of programming in standard paradigms. Therefore, the OOP was developed with significant consideration in the fields of Encapsulation and Polymorphism, as these were able to greatly simplify repetitive tasks. The use of Polymorphism allows for a more modular solution, allowing the same methods to be applied to different inputs, greatly reducing the time required to code a solution. Where, in the past, a programmer had to rewrite code for each element in a solution, an OOP programmer is able to just add a subclass to a class, with that subclass inheriting all of the parent class' characteristics. Encapsulation allows data to be manipulated seperately from the rest of the program without affecting it, allowing for more security in programming.

OOP development was also fueled by a desire to solve a new range of problems present in the context of the paradigm's development, including artificial intelligence. It was seen that OOP could aid AI development.

OOP also arouse from a recognition of different building blocks of programs, and a recognition that programming may be more efficient if code and data were grouped together, as in methods, in the OOP.

How have emerging technologies affected the development of a named paradigm?

lolrofllol

HSC
Hmm for those not doing the Programming Languages option:

Explain how fractions can be represented in binary

ibrian

HSC
floating point ieee standard shit LOL

you for lolrofllol:
covert 18.125 to binary

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
floating point ieee standard shit LOL

you for lolrofllol:
covert 18.125 to binary

so do you want 18.125 converted to fixed point?

Well either way:

Fixed point = 10010.001

LETS NOT ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT OPTION TOPICS....its unfair :p

what are the different types of documentation?

Last edited:

Interdrama

#wang
HSC
what are the different types of documentation?
Documentation is good:

There are two types of documentation.
Product Documentation, and Process Documentation

Process Documentation
Process Documentation refers to documentation created during the Software Development Cycle purely for the use of the developer or maintainers of the software solution. Process Documentation includes data dictionary, initial and final gantt charts, IPO chart, log book, system flowcharts, structure charts, testing documentation, algorithm/flowchart, source code, flow charts context diagrams and data flow diagrams.

Data Dictionary - A data dictionary is a table that holds the identifiers of various variables and constants for use within the system. The use of a data dictionary can help the programmer to see the data types involved and serves as reference during the Implementation process.

Initial/Final Gantt Charts - Gantt charts are used for timing and scheduling events and milestones to be reached within the Software Development Cycle. A gantt chart can be referred to after development to analyse the efficiency of the development process.

IPO Chart - An IPO chart is a chart that allows the programmer to visualise inputs, processes, and outputs of the system.

Log Book/Process Diary - A process diary is something kept by the development team to list and describe actions performed during the development process in a chronological order. The reviewing of this document after development can lead to streamlining of the development process in further projects.

System Flowchart - The system flowchart is an old form of documentation that allows programmers to visualise the entire system, including manual processes and computer processes. As it is old, it contains some outdated forms of computer hardware, including Magnetic Tape.

Structure Charts - A structure chart allows programmers to visualise the interface between modules. It depicts modules of the program, and parameters and flags passed from one another.

Testing Documentation - Testing documentation is needed as all tests must be stated in the documentation for further use and for evaluation purposes. Testing documentation includes test data (both artificially generated and live) used in testing, and the results of testing. It may also include a description of processes such as stress testing, performance testing and security testing. The documents produced when the software is benchmarked is also part of process documentation.

Algorithm/Flowchart - The algorithm and flow chart help to describe the processes of a system. Flowchart is more visual and helps with understanding logic. If you don't know this you will fail the HSC.

Source Code - Code that is in the programming language. Contains comments and intrinsic and internal documentation.

Context Diagrams - Context diagrams are diagrams that are used to further help the programmer visualise the system, and involve External entities (square things), data (lines), and processes (circles).

Data Flow Diagrams - Data Flow Diagrams are similar to Context diagrams but are tested more often in the HSC, and involve Data stores (open ended rectangles)

Product Documentation

Product documentation is documentation given to the user. Product documentation includes things like user manual, online help, help screens, tutorials, screen dumps and troubleshooting guides.

User Manual - States the functions of the program in depth.

Online Help - Balloons and help things that are within the program. Short and succinct.

Help Screens - May take up a whole page or part of the page. On the computer, and can be updated easily.

Tutorials - Guides the user through the common functions of the system.

Screen Dumps - Shows the screen at various stages of the program.

Troubleshooting guides - Helps the user to self diagnose problems with their use of the program.

Question - Explain the different types of errors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)