Searching for practice papers and resources for new syllabus Year 12 Maths Advance and Ext 1 (1 Viewer)

cocobean

HSC
N/A
I am lost!!

I spent so many hours preparing for end of Year 11 Advanced Maths and Ext 1.
Did all the exercises, chapter reviews etc from Cambridge, Maths In Focus, New Senior Maths- I thought I was as ready, walked into the exam nervous, but confident. Then I started the Advance paper and got head spinso_O. The questions were nothing like anything I had come across:eek: Ext1 paper was equally as ambiguous 🤯 - I am in the top maths class and people were crying during that paper.
Now I am 3 weeks away from my Year 12 exam and I am lost as to how to prepare. :confused2:

Does anyone have any advice about how to prepare or know where to find practice questions for the new syllabus maths????

Any help truly appreciated 😨

integral95

HSC
I am lost!!

Did all the exercises, chapter reviews etc from Cambridge, Maths In Focus, New Senior Maths- I thought I was as ready, walked into the exam nervous, but confident. Then I started the Advance paper and got head spinso_O. The questions were nothing like anything I had come across:eek: Ext1 paper was equally as ambiguous 🤯 - I am in the top maths class and people were crying during that paper.
Now I am 3 weeks away from my Year 12 exam and I am lost as to how to prepare. :confused2:

Does anyone have any advice about how to prepare or know where to find practice questions for the new syllabus maths????

You are the part unluckiest cohort for this reason, no past materials to practice with since you're studying under the new syllabus.
My best advice is that you should ask your teachers for some exam materials to learn from.

vinlatte

HSC
I am lost!!

Hi there, fellow 2020 math student here too. I was also in a similar situation which is why I couldn't study effectively towards the prelim exams. But I discovered that there are some similarities between the topics of the the new syllabus to previous years. I checked an old version of the New Senior textbook and they still had the topics of this year's syllabus.

Check the NESA site since they usually put links to practice exams under the subject info. You could also use old papers but choose the questions that are relevant to the the new syllabus topics.

Personally, I prefer studying by understanding the ins and outs of the topic than practicing every question endlessly. It's because formulating your own understanding of the topic helps you recognise what to apply to an unknown question, than memorising what to do from practicing a similar question.

Not sure if that makes sense but if in doubt, write a summary page of the topics for the exam. It helps you to find the key ideas and write it out concisely so you can remember it easily. Use images, graphs, arrows, mnemonics, whatever makes it easier to retain your knowledge. For example, I think of Beetroots, pairs of Caroots and proDucts of roots to remember how to calculate the sum and product of roots.

Also, reading the summary pages at the back of the textbook is always great for last minute cramming.

Last edited:

HeroWise

HSC
damn when did Vieta's become Beetroots caroots and proDucts.

vinlatte

HSC
damn when did Vieta's become Beetroots caroots and proDucts.
For cubic equations, the roots are α , β, γ so that (x - α)(x - β)(x - γ) = 0.

sum of roots: α + β + γ = -b/a [negative Beetroots]
sum of products of pairs of roots: αβ + αγ + βγ= c/a [pairs of Caroots]
product of roots: αβγ = -d/a [negative proDucts]

I made up this word association thing to help me remember the formulas since they are not on the formula sheet. Since all of the denominators are a, I used root vegetables to memorise the numerator letters. It sounds bizzare but it helps in exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)