Second Triumvirate (1 Viewer)

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
Wondering if any of you historians could tell me more about this second triumvirate.

I've looked in books and asked teachers and would relly like some more. Need info on the formation and breakdown of the second triumvirate particularly.

I've been going through past papers and the second triumvirate has popped up in the 2001 and 2003 ancient exam for the essay section.

We've been taught mainly about the first triumvirate with pompey,crassus and caesar. Really would like your help.

Thanks.

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
basically, octavian was angry at the senate for taking advantage of his power (he inherited it from caesar) and they didn't really take him seriously so he got together with marc antony and lepidus (lepidus is sort of like crassus in the first triumvirate - he has money and doesn't really DO much). instead of a secret amicitia like the first triumvirate, the second was formed as a result of a tribune's law.

the triumvirate pretty much had the powers of a dictator, without the title. throughout the duration the men took on separate commands to further their own military gloria. when antony became involved with cleopatra it sort of started to ruin his relationship with octavian because he saw it as antony turning his back on rome. lepidus was disposed from the triumvirate early (i forget why).

the absence of lepidus weakened the triumvirate and antony's treatment of octavia (his wife, octavian's sister) severed the alliance. there was a propaganda war and octavian read antony's will to the senate. then he declared war on cleopatra (although it was really on both of them) and this resulted in the battle at actium.

sorry if that's really basic and brief it's all i can remember off the top of my head.

Aimz- Lou.

The second triumvirate consisted of Octavian, Lepidus, and Antony. Lepidus was "disposed of" early on because he was older and less politically astute, and the other two men had their own political agendas. So Lepidus was shunted to the position of pontifex maximus.
Octavian and Antony shared the power of a dictator for a while, although this was not a particularly good arrangement, as each man had his own ambition and they were hindering each other. Antony was spending a lot of time in the provinces at this time- which was a silly move on his part, because it allowed Octavian to have free reign in Rome. Antony's treatment of Octavia angered Octavian, and so he accused Antony and Cleo of Oriental despotism. The Romans thus started a war against them, and Antony committed suicide.

if you combine what I remember with what waterbottle remembers, that should be nearly accurate. Hope that helps. :)

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
the reason lepidus was disposed of in the second triumvirate was that he attempted to revolt against octavian in sicily with his 22 legions. But octavian appealed to Lepidus's troops and they mutineed. Lepidus was then exiled with all but his office of pontifex maximus stripped. Thus the second triumvirate was greatly weakened as the balancing member was gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)