Second Year Math (1 Viewer)

danjw

HSC
I'm someone who did 12 units at normal level, distinctions all around, I enjoy math although tbh I'm not 100% confident in my abilities as normal is fairly easy.
So I'm interested in some opinions, partial DE's, number theory and cryptography and financial maths (the second year second sem courses). Order of how hard and how interesting if you don't mind me asking?
Also, are math lectures recorded?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm someone who did 12 units at normal level, distinctions all around, I enjoy math although tbh I'm not 100% confident in my abilities as normal is fairly easy.
So I'm interested in some opinions, partial DE's, number theory and cryptography and financial maths (the second year second sem courses). Order of how hard and how interesting if you don't mind me asking?
Also, are math lectures recorded?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
If you're managing distinctions so far, then you'll be fine for the second year subjects. The Mathematics only ever strays away from computations and calculations at around 3rd year level for normal units.

Partial DE's is very much like Integral Calculus, except as the name suggests there are partial derivatives in it. Fairly straightforward if you do the tutes etc properly and don't cram.

Number Theory may be a little bit more difficult for you not because of the actual difficulty, but moreso because of the lack of familiarity (if you did the HSC, then this would be your first exposure to number theory). There is a lot of coding (using MAGMA) involved, which I personally found to be a bit boring. However, the actual theoretical content was pretty interesting.

I cannot comment on Financial Mathematics because I didn't do it.

The lectures I had were not recorded, but I did advanced so I cannot be sure that the same applies to normal.

danjw

HSC
Thanks for the reply!
I actually think I'm looking towards number theory to be honest! Seems pretty interesting but I may give financial a crack to, not sure.

Also, how much more difficult are the advanced units really? Would I stand a chance?

Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)