Second Year STAT (1 Viewer)

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
for those who've done stats second year:

How crap is it? Is it worse than first year stats?

Physics people recomend students majoring in physics to do stats...But I hate stats. I have chosen 'Real and Complex Analysis' and 'Algebra' instead of the 2 stats subjects in second year.

What do u think?....about the relevnce of the 2 subjects I have already chosen to physics and whether I should follow their recomendation and do stats?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
very pure maths both are...... analysis at the end was alryte... this yr (05) was taught by daners.. algebra's boring as (and i expect to get around a cr'ish)

unless u like prove stuff heaps lot, and are up for challenge, i'd recommend you to turn away...

that being said, real/complex analysis is like fundamental to alot of 3rd math subjects...
algebra is very pure... so yeh... go figure...

stat's way better in 2nd year than 1st yr... alot more interesting... tho i didn't get too good marks in it... guess i am just not a good stat person... u do alot of modelling, poisson, normal... alot of algebra involved, but ultimately quite fun... 2nd sem financial maths is 1/2 stat... so walk in the park for us stat students ...

nit

HSC
how difficult is 2nd year stats? I've pre-enrolled in both stats courses, but may change over to something else...I need my dose of maths, and dont want to screw around with matrices and vector calculus...plus stats is useful for any type of research i suppose.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
thnx duckie.

I knew Algebra was pure but thought real and complex analysis was applied!!!?

I might change to Stats...as nit said...it's useful. Although I hate it............but I have to come to notice that I don't really hate stats all together...I have singled out probability....I hate that! :vcross:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
stat's fun and boring, if u know wut i mean... u derive heaps of shit, that's the funest part... aprt form from... u can figure...

ok i have to admit, twas alryte... kinda fun...

analysis's alryte too... 20% recommend it...
make that 50%

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Should do vector calculus and linear mathematics if you are still carrying on with physics. Analysis is absolutely pure stuff, everyone knows Daners' style. As for stats, the useful bit for physics is stochastic processes, which will be covered in third year. So at least take its prerequisite in second year (presumably the one in sem 1). Highly recommend it, stats in 3rd year is even better :) Overall stats is easier than both pure and applied.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
STAT'S EASIER?! u cannot be serz super pig...

oh well... maybe just me... it is definitely alot more interesting in 2nd year comparing to first yr, but i got crappy result in it... *shruggs

and in 2nd sem i have to drop it due to tt clashes

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Hehe that's unfortunate for you xiao. But seriously, compared to pure analysis and applied mathematical methods, stats is quite straight forward. Although it can get very tough sometimes, I still think the assessments are not as difficult as pure and applied in most cases.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Super Pig said:
Hehe that's unfortunate for you xiao. But seriously, compared to pure analysis and applied mathematical methods, stats is quite straight forward. Although it can get very tough sometimes, I still think the assessments are not as difficult as pure and applied in most cases.
tell me about it... i just majorly f*cked my algebra final exam... 80%!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)