Secondary Science Teaching/Education (1 Viewer)

Dylanamali

HSC
Hi there,

This year I will be undertaking either a Bachelor of Science (Advanced) or a Bachelor of Medical Science, with aspirations of gaining entry into Medicine.

However, my main question is: Having done one of these undergraduate degrees and then adding on a 1year Masters of Teaching, would I be qualified to teach secondary science (biology and chemistry)?

I know that this should be the case for the Bachelor of Science (Advanced), but this question is mainly if I chose to do the Med Science course.

Thanks, and will rep for answer :)!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure a prereq for a Masters of Teaching is a Bachelor degree (regardless of topic), so yes.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
For a B Science, a major in maths or a major in physics, chemistry or biology and a minor in 1 other of those things will almost certainly satisfy requirements

For Med Sci, it depends very much on whether the you do required number of units at each year level for the Institute of Teachers' standards, presumably in either Chemistry or Biology

from memory, it's something like at least 3 units at 2nd year level and at least 4 units at 3rd year level (or maybe it was 4 and then 5), but, you should look up the NSW Institute of Teachers website and check for yourself, they specify clearly what minimum units you must do... that's for a major, I think for a minor it's at least 3 units at 2nd year level.

Another thing is, if your uni has a separate course code for "medical science" units as distinct from Biology or Chemistry, those units might not be able to be counted.

Also just out of curiosity, where is this 1 year Masters of Teaching (I thought they were usually 2 years), don't be surprised if it is 2 years by the time you finish your undergrad degree

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
For a B Science, a major in maths or a major in physics, chemistry or biology and a minor in 1 other of those things will almost certainly satisfy requirements

For Med Sci, it depends very much on whether the you do required number of units at each year level for the Institute of Teachers' standards, presumably in either Chemistry or Biology

from memory, it's something like at least 3 units at 2nd year level and at least 4 units at 3rd year level (or maybe it was 4 and then 5), but, you should look up the NSW Institute of Teachers website and check for yourself, they specify clearly what minimum units you must do... that's for a major, I think for a minor it's at least 3 units at 2nd year level.

Another thing is, if your uni has a separate course code for "medical science" units as distinct from Biology or Chemistry, those units might not be able to be counted.

Also just out of curiosity, where is this 1 year Masters of Teaching (I thought they were usually 2 years), don't be surprised if it is 2 years by the time you finish your undergrad degree

Firstly, after doing some research the Masters of Teaching is 1 year (accelerated) at UWS, 1 year at UNSW, but 2 years at USYD.

Secondly, I looked on the NSW Institute of Teachers website and this is what it says: "Chemistry – 3-year sequence (6 units) in science, with at least 4 units at level 2 or above. Studies must include 4 units in chemistry and 2 units in one of physics, biology, or earth and environmental science."

Do you know what this means? These are the units I will be looking to do next year: http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/unitset.aspx?unitset=M3064.1
How do I know if they satisfy the requirements? Because, the units aren't just plain biology or chemistry.. they are physiology etc..

Thank you though, definitely repped :)

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Ok, let's suppose you wanted to be a biology teacher with a minor in chemistry

You need a bio major with at least 6 subjects, at least 4 of which must be 2nd year level or higher, and in chemistry at least 2 units at any level.

In that UWS program, you will do 2 units of chemistry (or biology) in 1st year already so that's the minor covered.

"Biodiversity" and "Cell Biology" are general 1st year bio, so that's 2 units at 1st year level and now you need 4 at 2nd year or highter

The units "Functional Proteins and Genes", "Metabolism", "Topics in Physiology" and the elective "Molecular Biology" are all listed in their descriptions as eligible to count towards a B Science (Biology) Major, which would give you at least 4 units at 2nd year or 3rd year level

Note that some other units you do such as "Anatomy of the Thorax and Abdomen" cannot count as part of a Biology major in a regular science degree, so the Institute wouldn't recognize them. Fortunately it seems like you're pretty much guaranteed to do enough biology to cover the requirements. You could check those subjects in the same way to see if you could make a Chemistry major.

Dylanamali

HSC
Ok, let's suppose you wanted to be a biology teacher with a minor in chemistry

You need a bio major with at least 6 subjects, at least 4 of which must be 2nd year level or higher, and in chemistry at least 2 units at any level.

In that UWS program, you will do 2 units of chemistry (or biology) in 1st year already so that's the minor covered.

"Biodiversity" and "Cell Biology" are general 1st year bio, so that's 2 units at 1st year level and now you need 4 at 2nd year or highter

The units "Functional Proteins and Genes", "Metabolism", "Topics in Physiology" and the elective "Molecular Biology" are all listed in their descriptions as eligible to count towards a B Science (Biology) Major, which would give you at least 4 units at 2nd year or 3rd year level

Note that some other units you do such as "Anatomy of the Thorax and Abdomen" cannot count as part of a Biology major in a regular science degree, so the Institute wouldn't recognize them. Fortunately it seems like you're pretty much guaranteed to do enough biology to cover the requirements. You could check those subjects in the same way to see if you could make a Chemistry major.

Thank you immensely for that!
How did you "check the subjects", where in the description does it say that it will be eligible to count towards a B Science (biology or chemistry)?

Dylanamali

HSC
Oh okay looking over it.. did you just look at the units and the courses they corresponded to?

If so, does that mean as long as the units correspond to the course: B Science (Biological Science) or B Science (Chemistry), that they will be counted and allow me to teach secondary?

If so, many of the units correspond to both courses.. does that mean that I will have a major in both biology and chemistry? =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)