• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

secondhand vs new laptop (1 Viewer)

touma88

HSC
secondhand vs brand-new laptop

IM considering buying a laptop for uni purposes but I couldnt be bothered selling my pc and buying a brand new laptop which will be then used for everyday purposes.

How much should I be looking for a second hand laptop roughly about 1-2 years old.

Or should I be looking at buying an entry level laptop brand new.

Last edited:

justCARLA

HSC
From experience, buying a second hand laptop isn't the best idea.
I've had about 4 laptops in 6 years... I've found there's no point getting a second hand one when you generally need to upgrade to a new one every 3 years.... so if you get a 2nd hand one thats 1 or 2 years old... that only leaves you with 2 years max left of use

touma88

HSC
so your suggesting to me to get a new one.. boah thats like a grand to fork out, I guess I could sell my pc on ebay.

justCARLA

HSC
touma88 said:
so your suggesting to me to get a new one.. boah thats like a grand to fork out, I guess I could sell my pc on ebay.
I'm just saying get a new one because if you get a 2nd hand one.. from experience, you wont get much use out of it.. and it wont necessarily be worth it in the long run.. just my opinion though,
you could find a decent 2nd hand one that's worth it though if you have the time to really look around..

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
laptops aernt that expoensive these days so yes i suggest you get a new one as well
itll probably last way longer than a 2nd hand one, and you get more up to date specifications

pete_mate

HSC
buy a new one, get a good brand, spend 1200 and get a dual core, dont cheap out and get a $900 celeron and itll last a good 4 years.

if the 2nd hand one shits itself you arent covered by warranty at all, new ones have a one year warranty

goosiegoo

HSC
I'd suggest getting a new one also, theyre not too expensive and my experience with second-hand computers is that they seem to stuff up a considerably large amount.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Yeah brand new, in the box, with a warranty is the way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)