Section 1 - comprehnsion- answers- Discuss (1 Viewer)

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
k.middlebrook said:
does anyone have a scanner who has the test paper who could scan the whole thing in because I left early and was not alond to take the test paper and I was going to go back to get one back forget to. Please some scan it in so I have the pics and everything
Why do you need it so urgently?

It'll be on the BOS site eventually. I can't help you though sorry, cause I didn't take the paper.

Gosford

HSC
hmmmm... i used quotes to back it up,
and to skynet89- that would get me 1 mark (if not... gulp)
i guess wat i was questioning was whether i had a chance at 2...but probs not!
but that now means...
maybe for out of 15
Text1= 3/3 max., 2/3 min(i hope)
Text 2= 1/3
Text 3= 2/4
f) ... 2/5 max. 1/5 min.
total= 9, or maybe 7!
hmmm... i would be happy with that (the 9)
just english has been one of my better subjects pulling up maths and chemistry... now i may have to ace modules + chemistry!!! (scary!!!)
thanx for ideas/tehories/criticisms (skynet89) :p jk

EnterThe Circus

HSC
FARRRR..........i completely forgot to use techniques, crappp
ahhhhhh im stirred, i was too busy freaking out

that whole section was screwed

Last edited:

roosterman57

HSC
It didnt ask for techniques??? It didnt really ask "how" contrats is expressed???

EDIT : My teacher even said afterwards that it was an easy exam as there were hardly any technique questions therefore technique answers needed

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
roosterman57 said:
It didnt ask for techniques??? It didnt really ask "how" contrats is expressed???

EDIT : My teacher even said afterwards that it was an easy exam as there were hardly any technique questions therefore technique answers needed
You're analysing the text. In order to break it down and discuss the points the text is trying to make, you need techniques which support your arguement/analysis.

Seriously though, you should have practiced this section of the paper enough to know you should always have techniques for questions work more than one mark. :S

Armenikum

HSC
skynet89 said:
i did ok. heres a guide i guess

a) -wilson gathered many new perspectives and his insight about the world and its people broadened due to his encounters with many people in the city - thus he now has lots of anecdotes or "stories" to tell.

b) - salience or framing of wilson - acknowleding that HE is the one on this journey to discovery
- vector - the posters in front of him. reading path from his head down to the headlines of "stories" " NEW stories" etc etc
- background - its opaque and blurred symbolising the constant movement of the city bustle and that everywhere we go there is a journey.

c) contrast
-metapor "my writing desk is a tavern table" - stating that she envisages her world through the 18th century
- contextualisation "for most of 1999 i tried to live in 1666". and other dates that you can see and other references to that time period like bubonic plague
-juxtaposition between the depressing urban environment of those cities to the calm tranquil one of the english village with 250 people. also the contrasting views. like in the city you can dislike someone and can expect not to see them again but in a village you see eachother everyday. this has built tolerance etc

there are more techniques but they dont really fit the question well.

d) attitude = perspective
"horizon seemed the most persuasive home" - suggesting that he sees the future with many opportunities and rewards and that he wishes to seek them.
e) explain what rothwell comes to realise about his journey = what concept of journey is in this text.
- That physical journeys particularly this one that he has embarked on for 5 years has led to great change and has further enriched his knowledge about the world and its people. ---> "time of great transformations in my life " - can use superlatives as a technique.
- the learning aspect of journey can be supported by the simile "the centre were like schoolrooms to me"
- it can be a healing process or redemptive one. personification "offering its redemptive silence". shit like that the whole text is pretty clear its just about him going on a journey in australia and realising the true beauty of embarking on one like this as he notices the small things that make Australia great. like the human presence, landscape etc

f) use any of the above and combine. focus more on the differing perspectives though and backup with evidence/techniques.

eg. text 2 is an imaginary journey. - the strength of it even though its not real. "its human nature to imagine..". how this has taught her lessons about rage/passion/tolerance onces shes imagined herself in other peoples shoes (in this case 200 years ago in Eyam's body)
text 3 is a physical journey - life offers us with a continual cycle of journeys and that journeys can lead to change, growth, greater knowledge and lastly that he can truely appreciate the beauty of a country once hes seen all these little things come into piece "a mosaic, a dance of gleaming fragments"

hope that helps

C) Hmm, I took a more conceptual approach to the question in that she contrasts time, setting, and tolerance/perspective of people. I guess my answer was intermittent with a few other technqiues you mentioned.

E) Again, instead of the learning approach you took, I wrote that he came to realise a change in perspective when undertaking the journey...it's evident in the middle of the body where he says BUT...and then talks about how linear thinking doesnt help hsi journey through remote Australia

F) My weakest of them all, didnt include a conclusion, and had very little contrasts, as well as very little technqiues - but again, it was more a broader conceptual argument, rather than of techniques.

Overall, Section 1 was not hard or easy - my only complaint would be the amount of reading and density of the texts - I had to read text 3 about 3 times before understanding what he meant.

samuel slack

HSC
Armenikum said:
C) Hmm, I took a more conceptual approach to the question in that she contrasts time, setting, and tolerance/perspective of people. I guess my answer was intermittent with a few other technqiues you mentioned.

E) Again, instead of the learning approach you took, I wrote that he came to realise a change in perspective when undertaking the journey...it's evident in the middle of the body where he says BUT...and then talks about how linear thinking doesnt help hsi journey through remote Australia

F) My weakest of them all, didnt include a conclusion, and had very little contrasts, as well as very little technqiues - but again, it was more a broader conceptual argument, rather than of techniques.

Overall, Section 1 was not hard or easy - my only complaint would be the amount of reading and density of the texts - I had to read text 3 about 3 times before understanding what he meant.
Those are my exact thoughts on this paper. I came at it from a very conceptual angle (mainly because the questions were not technique based, onle one "analyse" and one"how"). With the contrasts I talked about contrast of time, setting, technology, city-country. Used words like juxtaposition... etc. But really there, are they looking for techniques, or are you just supposed to talk about the contrast?

Gosford

HSC
i think for 3 marks... maybe a technique or two... juxtaposition is awesome!!! (i used that for my essay, but balnked in section 1, aaargghh!!!)
i sed everyhting wonderfully almopst (just like sed by others)
except didnt use word juxtaposition, contextualisation etc.

doofyduck01

HSC
skynet89 said:
d) attitude = perspective

shit like that the whole text is pretty clear its just about him going on a journey in australia and realising the true beauty of embarking on one like this as he notices the small things that make Australia great. like the human presence, landscape etc
yeah it was pretty clear, but i saw something heaps deeper in it, as a journey for him as a writer. The landscape was basically a metaphor for the "unending, subtle rhythms" which basically is the constant changing nature of reality that causes the conflicting parts of his ideas in writing, and how it eventually becomes an interwoven mesh "spread out beneath the splendour of the sky" for himself, and a journey of self and contemplation.

starrysky

HSC
samuel slack said:
Those are my exact thoughts on this paper. I came at it from a very conceptual angle (mainly because the questions were not technique based, onle one "analyse" and one"how"). With the contrasts I talked about contrast of time, setting, technology, city-country. Used words like juxtaposition... etc. But really there, are they looking for techniques, or are you just supposed to talk about the contrast?
My thoughts also.

I think that the best of both worlds would earn a full three marks. So, discuss the instances of contrast presented in the text, and extract techniques to back things up. I just used the word juxtaposition with each example and whatever. Talked about the personal tone of the article etc. etc.

I'll be glad to see the back of English Advanced, honestly. *shanks it*

Gosford

HSC
...for d) i just sed something about admiration and appreciation for the journey???
how benfeicial he found it?
for question c)
i reckon i may have 2/3 hopefully coz i sed everyhting u guys sed except juxtaposition (i'm sooo banging my head against desk)

Last edited:

skynet89

HSC
my post was a a summarised guide for all the people going WTF TEXT 3??? etc etc. It's not maths so as long as you made some reference to journeys i'm sure you'd get some marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)