Section 1 (1 Viewer)

sashmackinnon

HSC
jazzmuzik said:
i think i got it... (text 3)

i said something along the lines of,

Rothwell realises that in order to achieve "the dream of total coverage" (ie. be able to effectively record and capture the essence of everyone and every places's stories) you must reject a "linear way of thinking" and a calculated approach to discoverying and instead rely on the notion of "chance". it is only when you let chance and all the "erasures and forgettings" this brings with it, that you can finally gain broader appreciation of the richness of a place...

(apologies for weird grammar, englishly brain dead)

thoughts? am i anywhere near it?
Yea i think so. My view was letting the journey control you instead of trying to control the journey was the only way of experiencing it. Fleshed out ofcourse.

skynet89

HSC
ok i think i did ok in this section if its any consolation..

a) -wilson gathered many new perspectives and his insight about the world and its people broadened due to his encounters with many people in the city - thus he now has lots of anecdotes or "stories" to tell.

b) - salience or framing of wilson - acknowleding that HE is the one on this journey to discovery
- vector - the posters in front of him. reading path from his head down to the headlines of "stories" " NEW stories" etc etc
- background - its opaque and blurred symbolising the constant movement of the city bustle and that everywhere we go there is a journey.

c) contrast
-metapor "my writing desk is a tavern table" - stating that she envisages her world through the 18th century
- contextualisation "for most of 1999 i tried to live in 1666". and other dates that you can see and other references to that time period like bubonic plague
-juxtaposition between the depressing urban environment of those cities to the calm tranquil one of the english village with 250 people. also the contrasting views. like in the city you can dislike someone and can expect not to see them again but in a village you see eachother everyday. this has built tolerance etc

there are more techniques but they dont really fit the question well.

d) attitude = perspective
"horizon seemed the most persuasive home" - suggesting that he sees the future with many opportunities and rewards and that he wishes to seek them.
e) explain what rothwell comes to realise about his journey = what concept of journey is in this text.
- That physical journeys particularly this one that he has embarked on for 5 years has led to great change and has further enriched his knowledge about the world and its people. ---> "time of great transformations in my life " - can use superlatives as a technique.
- the learning aspect of journey can be supported by the simile "the centre were like schoolrooms to me"
- it can be a healing process or redemptive one. personification "offering its redemptive silence". shit like that the whole text is pretty clear its just about him going on a journey in australia and realising the true beauty of embarking on one like this as he notices the small things that make Australia great. like the human presence, landscape etc

f) use any of the above and combine. focus more on the differing perspectives though and backup with evidence/techniques.

eg. text 2 is an imaginary journey. - the strength of it even though its not real. "its human nature to imagine..". how this has taught her lessons about rage/passion/tolerance onces shes imagined herself in other peoples shoes (in this case 200 years ago in Eyam's body)
text 3 is a physical journey - life offers us with a continual cycle of journeys and that journeys can lead to change, growth, greater knowledge and lastly that he can truely appreciate the beauty of a country once hes seen all these little things come into piece "a mosaic, a dance of gleaming fragments"

hope thats helped.

HSC
argh!
section one wasnt too bad...cept for text 3!!! argh! it was so hard! i didnt understand any of it...which obviously effected by answers...my other answers were so detailed in comparision...damn it.

Boostie

HSC
Did section III then II then I, had one hour to do section I and DIDN'T EVEN FINISH IT! What the hell were those texts abt? Esp text 3, omg, worst part of the test ever. I was like decoding an encrypted message. Far out. Be happy if i even scrape a 6.

Niksta123

HSC
gaoOO said:
I ran out of time having attempted this section last. The texts were really hard this year for section 1. By far the hardest, but the fairest part of the paper.

Comments on the other sections will be in the various threads.
What do you mean by fairest?

treb0r

MCP007-treborial
HSC
SECTION 1 WAS DISGUSTING WOT THE FISH IS ANAL EYES WRITERS USE OF CONTRAST... That author of the feature article was off her head wen writing that... Text 3.. WTF ill give a journey to my foot.. definitely failed that section

jimv

HSC
I think i failed that section because i did it last in the last 20 mins of the exam. I dont even know myself what the hell i was writing, how on earth is the marker going to understand?

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
Okay, so i thought the paper in general was good
Namingly Sections 2 and 3.
But Section One
=[
I've never gotten lower than 14/15 before.
Looks like it Happened yesterday lol.
I onyl left myself with 30 minutes to do it
But text Three was a load of crap.
what was that guy smoking?
i bullshitted the whole thing.
=]
Results-wise i guess we'll have to wait and see.
I mean if the marks are terrible across the state,
then they'll scale it accordingly.
[Hopefully]

Niksta123

HSC
did anyone see on the news last night - sydney girls high thought the paper was good...does any1 go to sydney girls high in this thread? ...i mean pretty much everyone who has commented on this thread has found section 1 hard, inclcuding myself....do you reckon they actually found it good/easy...or do you reckon they just said so because they were on national tv?

I guess also = it was only 2 or 3 ppl who commented...maybe the rest of the grade felt differently?....

mortisflux

HSC
Section 1 was alright, I thought. I didn't find the 3rd comprehension hard ... I actually found the 1st one a lot worse, because there wasn't much text to it. And that picture wasn't much either.

lilgriffo

HSC
I think I went fairly well, it was just odd that there wern't specific about using techniques. So that scared me
I intergrated them anyway
Normally the trials are harder then the HSC. I disagree,:wave:

luv.bubble

HSC
I am shocked at the depth of some of the responses to that 3rd text.
all I saw was the symbolism of the mosaic.
im glad im not the only person who found section 1 so bloody hard

bmwz4

HSC
zaqwerty said:
Am I the only person that understood text three?

What I gathered from it was that it was about some guy travelling through the landscape (or something to that extent). The whole "horizon" comparison was suggesting that the journey never ends. The rest was going on about all the different obstacles you come across - the journey is not linear, and how, in the end, with hindsight, it all makes sense.
i like it. i got it after reading it 3 times. he was talking about how the ur journey can only begin when u appreciate the physical landscape..the alliteration 's' in splendour or whatever when he talks about the land becoming coherent fabric shows how this realisation brings about spiritual enlightenment ....thats what i thought text 3 was about anyways but i found text 1 weird...that 2 marker which asked about the visual and the language....what did ppl hav? i put the blurred image of the bus says something bout him living in suburban sydney i dno wat i wrote it was crap! arghhh and the contrast in the feature article which i also dno what i wrote about lolol

bmwz4

HSC
skynet89 said:
ok i think i did ok in this section if its any consolation..

a) -wilson gathered many new perspectives and his insight about the world and its people broadened due to his encounters with many people in the city - thus he now has lots of anecdotes or "stories" to tell.

b) - salience or framing of wilson - acknowleding that HE is the one on this journey to discovery
- vector - the posters in front of him. reading path from his head down to the headlines of "stories" " NEW stories" etc etc
- background - its opaque and blurred symbolising the constant movement of the city bustle and that everywhere we go there is a journey.

c) contrast
-metapor "my writing desk is a tavern table" - stating that she envisages her world through the 18th century
- contextualisation "for most of 1999 i tried to live in 1666". and other dates that you can see and other references to that time period like bubonic plague
-juxtaposition between the depressing urban environment of those cities to the calm tranquil one of the english village with 250 people. also the contrasting views. like in the city you can dislike someone and can expect not to see them again but in a village you see eachother everyday. this has built tolerance etc

there are more techniques but they dont really fit the question well.

d) attitude = perspective
"horizon seemed the most persuasive home" - suggesting that he sees the future with many opportunities and rewards and that he wishes to seek them.
e) explain what rothwell comes to realise about his journey = what concept of journey is in this text.
- That physical journeys particularly this one that he has embarked on for 5 years has led to great change and has further enriched his knowledge about the world and its people. ---> "time of great transformations in my life " - can use superlatives as a technique.
- the learning aspect of journey can be supported by the simile "the centre were like schoolrooms to me"
- it can be a healing process or redemptive one. personification "offering its redemptive silence". shit like that the whole text is pretty clear its just about him going on a journey in australia and realising the true beauty of embarking on one like this as he notices the small things that make Australia great. like the human presence, landscape etc

f) use any of the above and combine. focus more on the differing perspectives though and backup with evidence/techniques.

eg. text 2 is an imaginary journey. - the strength of it even though its not real. "its human nature to imagine..". how this has taught her lessons about rage/passion/tolerance onces shes imagined herself in other peoples shoes (in this case 200 years ago in Eyam's body)
text 3 is a physical journey - life offers us with a continual cycle of journeys and that journeys can lead to change, growth, greater knowledge and lastly that he can truely appreciate the beauty of a country once hes seen all these little things come into piece "a mosaic, a dance of gleaming fragments"

hope thats helped.
yay i had what u had (mostly) like the blurred bus i thought i made that up of the hustle and bustle...did u just have to write about 2 visual techns causei just mentioned the blurred bus and the centred image of him selling his stories...will tht get 2 marks?

-pari-

HSC
N/A
a) -wilson achieved "imense success" and "media attention". but he also gained greater understanding and insight by learning about the stories of other people "quote"

b) -[screwd this] central alignment complements the written text in emphasising the immensity of his success yet the simplicity of what he's doing to get it.
visual editing of the bus to create an effect of speed --> something on the lines of it supports the idea that he travels from busy city to busy city.

c) contrast
- imagery "unfurled oak leaves" vs "slash of electric wires"
- time "199" "1666"
- negative/positive connotations of visual imagery associated with city/village

there are more techniques but they dont really fit the question well. (same)

d) positive connotations of the metaphor highlight the positive attitude he has towards physically journeying and that he would like to embark on a physical journey (or something on those lines)

answers for e) f) too long to write up/remember

i dnno why ppl keep saying it was hard? :( now i'm scared i didsomething majorly wrong!

hscbec101

HSC
What is wrong with u people. Section I was by far the easiest. Text three was about a man and how he had journeyed and what he had learnt. If u had used quotes from his text for the question on Text three you would have been fine. Text two was the easiest. Compare what it was like in 1666 and 1999. And Text One was about a man u made journeys from meeting others. Simple people Simple

mado89

HSC
THAT SECTION WAS SO STUPID!!!
WHAT WERE THOSE QUESTIONS???!!
ANYBODY ELSE GET FRUSTRATED WITH THAT SECTION???

Last edited by a moderator:

Sloth -

HSC
I thought that section I was mostly easy except for part f), I got lost in my answer and started rambling...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)