Section 3 - Extended Response (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your thoughts on Section 3 here. (Extended Response)

whatdoitypehere

HSC
I did get, in a word, "rekt".

I spent far too much time on the other two sections, only ~8 minutes left for the essay. Dumb, I know. I wrote the introduction and a paragraph on the tempest. I'll be surprised if I get as much as 3 for the whole section. But its OK, I'm a chemistry student, so I know how to capture prussic acid gas evolved from KCN and HCl, so I have a pretty quick, reliable and painless way out if it comes to it.

All the best in paper 2 tomorrow, everyone!

Purgie

HSC
I did get, in a word, "rekt".

I spent far too much time on the other two sections, only ~8 minutes left for the essay. Dumb, I know. I wrote the introduction and a paragraph on the tempest. I'll be surprised if I get as much as 3 for the whole section. But its OK, I'm a chemistry student, so I know how to capture prussic acid gas evolved from KCN and HCl, so I have a pretty quick, reliable and painless way out if it comes to it.

All the best in paper 2 tomorrow, everyone!
I heard somewhere if you are out of time, just to write dot points and the markers would have to mark what's on the paper.

The question was "The process of discovery involves uncovering the hidden and reconsidering the known" from another thread.

I started this section off first then went short answer and proceeded to get screwed in creative. I thought it was alright. Pretty unexpected that they wouldn't take it just out of the rubric. But ah well.

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
I had really bad time management. spent like 60 minutes doing Reading section! Yeah I know, but I am really slow with reading and I wrote a lot so I'm hoping for at least a 14/15 because, seriously I sacrificed the other sections. :(
Just wondering, I was only able to get one point for both texts for the extended response. So I only talked about one character in my prescribed text and then talked about related and that was it, didn't even have any time to go for a second point. I'm pretty disappointed and hopefully will be better on time for Paper 2.
So does anyone know what the cut-off for a band 6 is in English Advanced because I know it's out of 105 so does that mean we have to get a raw mark of at least 95/ 105 or can we get less and it gets moderated to have a good chance of getting in this band?? I
THANKS!!

whatdoitypehere

HSC
I know it's out of 105 so does that mean we have to get a raw mark of at least 95/ 105 or can we get less and it gets moderated to have a good chance of getting in this band?? I
THANKS!!

YOUR MARK/45 in section one is compressed down to COMPRESSED MARK/40, then added to YOUR MARK/60 for paper 2. So no, not quite. Think of it this way, one mark in paper one isn't worth as much as one mark in paper 2, just ever so slightly less.

Last edited:

camdaman12

HSC
do you think i will lose many marks for doing this:
im doing poetry and have to talk about 2 poems and 1 RM (3 paragraphs)

i divided essay into two parts of the question;
so like poem1 and my RM i talked about how discovery is uncovering hidden shit
and poem2 i talked about how it can redefine shit

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
do you think i will lose many marks for doing this:
im doing poetry and have to talk about 2 poems and 1 RM (3 paragraphs)

i divided essay into two parts of the question;
so like poem1 and my RM i talked about how discovery is uncovering hidden shit
and poem2 i talked about how it can redefine shit
me 2 i ranout of time for second related, figured it would be better to skip that and fix my short answer for extra marks

leehuan

HSC
Ideas adapted perfectly

Unprecedented nature of discovery -> Revealing the hidden (x2 paragraphs)
Provocative discovery -> consider what was known
Transformative discovery -> consider what was known

FlameLash

HSC
YOUR MARK/45 in section one is compressed down to COMPRESSED MARK/40, then added to YOUR MARK/60 for paper 2. So no, not quite. Think of it this way, one mark in paper one isn't worth as much as one mark in paper 2, just ever so slightly less.
I don't think that's how it works buddy. If you look at people's actual past raw marks, you'd find its taken out of 105 and then simplified to a mark out of 100 after a couple of simple calculations.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
I don't think that's how it works buddy. If you look at people's actual past raw marks, you'd find its taken out of 105 and then simplified to a mark out of 100 after a couple of simply calculations.
Agreed. The total mark out of 105 is simplified to 100. Otherwise paper 1 is 'far too invaluable compared to paper 2'

natrat1997

HSC
It was great as it suited my prescribed very well . However essays are my strong point , creatives are my demise

FlameLash

HSC
Surely that's new then, because if you were to look at past raw marks you would find the rounded percentages for either whole or half marks out of 105 align with them quite nicely.

EDIT: The link is just a 2:3 ratio in terms of assessments. If you scroll down the bottom, you will see that it states, "The English (Advanced) examination will be marked out of 105 marks, and the mark will be converted to a mark out of 100." Actually I don't even know anymore after reading it again.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Surely that's new then, because if you were to look at past raw marks you would find the rounded percentages for either whole or half marks out of 105 align with them quite nicely.

EDIT: The link is just a 2:3 ratio in terms of assessments. If you scroll down the bottom, you will see that it states, "The English (Advanced) examination will be marked out of 105 marks, and the mark will be converted to a mark out of 100." Actually I don't even know anymore after reading it again.
According to that PDF, it seems that the mark out of 45 for Paper 1 is converted to a mark out of 40. The mark out of 60 for Paper 2 would be unchanged then and so Paper 1 would make up 40% of the marks. (According to Page 7: "Paper 1 will be marked out of 45 marks and the mark for each candidate will be converted to a mark out of 40.")

Love2learnn

HSC
I think that many students were unable to finish the exam. They have to either cut down the exam or make the exam longer. Many students are unable to show the knowledge they have due to time. They tell you don't memorise your essays, but it takes longer to write a paragraph off the top of your head than it is to regurgitate. You can tell me that 'with enough practice you should be able to finish the exam.' NO. the stress that a normal student feels (who hasn't been mentally programmed by their parents to force study down their throats from a young age) is IMMENSE and that should seriously be considered with the increasing frequency of incomplete exams.

also, if the 2 hours given is on the basis of marks. Why is a 60 mark exam the same length as a 45 mark exam???

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
I think that many students were unable to finish the exam. They have to either cut down the exam or make the exam longer. Many students are unable to show the knowledge they have due to time. They tell you don't memorise your essays, but it takes longer to write a paragraph off the top of your head than it is to regurgitate. You can tell me that 'with enough practice you should be able to finish the exam.' NO. the stress that a normal student feels (who hasn't been mentally programmed by their parents to force study down their throats from a young age) is IMMENSE and that should seriously be considered with the increasing frequency of incomplete exams.

also, if the 2 hours given is on the basis of marks. Why is a 60 mark exam the same length as a 45 mark exam???
I think both papers should be 3 hours instead of 2 hours. Because it becomes a race of time than a show of skill. But then I suppose the standard of amount of words would raise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)