Section I: Short Answers (2 Viewers)

f(sex)

HSC
danz90 said:
We'll i'd imagine that the salt bridge wouldn't allow that.
... the salt bridge's function is to allow the movement of charges

Kearnzo

HSC
f(sex) said:
... the salt bridge's function is to allow the movement of charges
True.. but which ions?

Hm, yeh the catchment was a bit different.

I forgot completly what a buffer in nature was. So i said "assuming acetic acid is a buffer in nature".

What did everyone get for the basic, acidic, neutral salts??

Also what equation did you use for one of the basic or acidic salts?

f(sex)

HSC
Kearnzo said:
True.. but which ions?

Hm, yeh the catchment was a bit different.

I forgot completly what a buffer in nature was. So i said "assuming acetic acid is a buffer in nature".

What did everyone get for the basic, acidic, neutral salts??

Also what equation did you use for one of the basic or acidic salts?
cations and anions of course
by that we mean all ions including chloride and nickel ions

and the ammonium salts were acidic, sodium chloride was neutral and the acetate was basic

also buffers in nature included blood and natural water ways, and to the best of my knowledge the acetate/acetic acid buffer isnt very common, but its not wrong

Kearnzo

HSC
f(sex) said:
cations and anions of course
by that we mean all ions including chloride and nickel ions

also buffers in nature included blood and natural water ways, and to the best of my knowledge the acetate/acetic acid buffer isnt very common, but its not wrong
Never really read anything that said some didn't cross over. I was vague in my answer by not specifying which beaker, so hopefully...

Yeh, I knew they occured there, just never learnt what chemicals took part in those buffers.

I guessed it was CH3COO- + H2O --> CH3COOH + OH- ??

And ammonium? NH4 + H2O --> NH3 + H3O+ ?

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC
The electron flow of the galvanic cell was from Nickle to Cl- (the platinum acts as a catalyst for the reaction)
So, wouldnt Cl gas form?

Kearnzo

HSC
Darrow said:
The electron flow of the galvanic cell was from Nickle to Cl- (the platinum acts as a catalyst for the reaction)
So, wouldnt Cl gas form?
Possibly, I think if you look at your potentials sheet chlorine gas is more easily reduced than aqueous chlorine.

Also, why would they put the chlorine gas there? They don't usually try and trick people in such a way.

Harkaraj

HSC
Uni Grad
For the galvanic cell both beakers had to turn green as due to the cathode reaction the Right hand beaker developed a negative charge so the silver ions from the silver nitrate solution migrated via the salt bridge to enable electrical neutrality?!?

friction

HSC
danz90 said:
I got 0.16mg of Zinc.

Once you drew your graph with a line of best fit, you used the average absorbance, and then saw that 1.6mg/L was the average concentration.

then, since the sample was 100mL in volume, you multiply the concentration by volume, to get the mass.

1.6mg/L x 0.100L = 0.16mg
Froth i got that.

wLym

HSC
danz90 said:
I got 0.16mg of Zinc.

Once you drew your graph with a line of best fit, you used the average absorbance, and then saw that 1.6mg/L was the average concentration.

then, since the sample was 100mL in volume, you multiply the concentration by volume, to get the mass.

1.6mg/L x 0.100L = 0.16mg
i sat there the whole exam and left that question just sitting there cause it just looked too scary. Then i actually read the question properly in the last 2 minutes and im like easy omg so easy so i got it in the last minute literally then pens down im like fuck im so pleased :) But then when i got outta the exam im like oh man i screwed so much stuff up besides that xD

rajeenth

HSC
for the zinc q isnt 4 tablets 0.16mg/L. so 1 should be 0.04mg/L

tasmina

HSC
the platinum isnt the cathode since its just a medium that accepts the electrons as the chlorine gas can't do that
reduction: Cl2 + 2e- --> 2Cl-
its just like the standard hydrogen half cell potential
prob in thicket i remember reading about it the night before the exam..

danz90

HSC
tasmina said:
the platinum isnt the cathode since its just a medium that accepts the electrons as the chlorine gas can't do that
reduction: Cl2 + 2e- --> 2Cl-
its just like the standard hydrogen half cell potential
prob in thicket i remember reading about it the night before the exam..
By definition, that's wat an electrode is - a site where electrons are accepted. You guys surely learnt about inert electrodes...

friction

HSC
rajeenth said:
for the zinc q isnt 4 tablets 0.16mg/L. so 1 should be 0.04mg/L
Nope mate that was already the average. No need to devide by 4.

danz90

HSC
Hey, friction...

Now I realised why I screwed up the titration question with HCl...

Originally, when the primary standard solution was made... that was in 250mL right??

Then STUPID STUPID me forgot to divide number of moles of Sodium carbonate by 10, since only 25.00mL aliquots were used, thats why I got 10 times the actual number..
FUCK!

You reckon they'll only take one mark off for that?

So it should've been 0.1057 right?

Muchi

HSC
umm so what was the voltage. i got like 0.16 or something but i think i got it wrong as i 4gt that its inert! idiot me!

adnan91

HSC
U know for the AAS graph question. For the average mass of zinc tablet. I read 1.7 mg/L off the graph not 1.6 mg/L like most ppl. You think they'll take a mark for that. Im sure they'll accept that?

HSC
adnan91 said:
U know for the AAS graph question. For the average mass of zinc tablet. I read 1.7 mg/L off the graph not 1.6 mg/L like most ppl. You think they'll take a mark for that. Im sure they'll accept that?
yeah you would expect so
might lose a mark off your graph though if it isn't accurate??

Muchi

HSC
my mate got 0.24 volts and she claims shes right for the galvanic cell. what were the voltages you guys got?

Aaron.Judd

HSC
1.6 I think or something like that. Fairly sure its right. I think Mrs Pooviah agreed when we went throguh the paper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)