Section I- Text 3- "The poem" (1 Viewer)

Did you think the poem is about a dog?

• Hm yes (d'oh)

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • No way

Votes: 83 60.6%
  • I didn't understand the poem

Votes: 44 32.1%

• Total voters

smile=)

HSC
conics2008 said:
that poem was the shittest poem i have ever read, i read it like 9 times adn still didnt understand anyshit from it.. so i randomly picked some quotes to support some bull shit view.. lol.. hope i get a mark or 2 xD
haha.. pretty much the same as me.

Clever Chick

2008- Year 12
HSC
i dont like poems to start with so i just took it as straight forward

just talked about contrast from before to after Cyclone Tracey

I though it was bout Cyclone tracey now im not sure

i didnt really pick up on teh dog thing till i started reading post on here

only 3 marks

just hope that they are not like the most crucial marks i need!

falconhawk50

HSC
Pfft was definelty not a dog.... You had to talk about the olfactory sensory imagery (olfactory = smell) that reminded the man of his past. If you noticed, when talking about the present there was a lack of smell, and at the end he "wiped his nose clean", symbolising his acceptance of the past and moving foward into the here and now. Main point of the poem: reflects the importance of nostalgia in overcoming the uncertainties of the present and ambitions for the future.
My interpretation anyways... If you said it was a dog, you can not be market wrong as it is your personal interpretation, yet it woudl be EXTREMELY hard to link with the question and build an argument.

suchi29

HSC
so.. 10 mins reading time.. i flicked to this poem crap and i was like ok wtf.. this person has a tail..

but it never hit me it may have been a dog..

fk imdumb .. i hope i rote well on reflections.. thts the main thng rite?

gud luk fo paper2 guys!

sukij

HSC
u-borat said:
my understanding is that the dog is a metaphor?

btw nice principal!
i very much agree that dog was more of a metaphor than the poem being ABOUT a dog!
the tail stuff can be considered to be symbolic of the persona attempting to retrace the town/area/city place...
and overall as a dog is symbolic of sniffing around and just observing the changes in the town/ area etc

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
I thought it was a metaphor of a ship. And the map of Darwin shaped like a nose, where the ship snuggled in. Meh. I didn't write about a dog, I wrote about a person, who had a childhood there. Dogs' childhoods doesn't sound apt.

jennieTalia

HSC
To be honest I can't even remember what I wrote in the exam *goofy smile*.

I thought it was a person with a whole bunch of 'scent metaphors' which is sort of what I wrote... but I was a bit general and hoping I wasn't reading into it too much, as I tend to do.

Personally I can't see it mattering too much either way. If you talk about the persona as a 'dog' then as it is an extended metaphor, it doesn't really matter too much as you are just responsing slightly more literally or it may be to explain a point. If it was a passing comment and then you interpreted the entire poem to be about a dog, it might possibly be a different situation.

Doubtful I did well anyway... I feel sort of sick of the exams and only on 3/7 :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)