SECTION III is always a critical essay?! (1 Viewer)

ben

Hmmm...today we just got told (well strongly hinted) - that our Section III of our Paper 1 Trials won't be a critical essay - but imaginative.

No, he wasn't confusing it with with Section II.

The annoying thing is (after taking the advice from this forum :D ) I have been memorising a generic change critical essay. I've done this to be able to manipulate it to whatever question we get.

But now that we have been told that Section III probably won't be an essay, I'm a bit worried. I guess I still just have to learn them well.

BTW, I was positive before today that SIII was always a critical essay - oh well.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
This is the rubric for Q3 of the AOS paper:

In your answer you will be assessed on how well you:
 demonstrate understanding of the concept of change in the context of your study
 analyse, explain and assess the ways change is represented in a variety of texts
 organise, develop and express ideas using language appropriate to audience, purpose and context
Clearly, the mention of 'audience' and 'context' in this last point allows for the nature of the question to be anything from an essay to a radio program.

My advice would be not to memorise your essay, but to memorise significant points and/or paragraphs about those points - it is a simple matter to then work those points into the style of your response.

Nelly

Yeah, memorize the paragraphs, then you can just incorporate the points into whatever you have to write. I did that for my In the wild 'essay', when we got in it was an question about a book about the wild, and we had to right the introduction to the book. I used the same paragraphs for the essay in the introductionk, but different style of writing. It worked, it got 16/20 (which is very good for me :p)

Dario

HSC
Think about types of issues that are related to change :

Change is always happening.
Change can result in bad / good outcomes.
Different perspectives can show different truths.

etc, etc

With these topics in mind, write down quotes that support these ideas and that show techniques like emotive language, descriptive imagery, metaphor, etc.

The critical essay question always asks 'how' (language features and techniques) and relates it to an idea (like the 3 above) related to the change topic.

Y

yeh

oh right right right. well i better get started then. thanx.

Jenjen

MINE WAS A GAY RADIO THING TOO!!!!

so bad!

oh well.

Good luck for the rest of the trials everyone!!

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
what i do is i memorise the intro (markers usaully determine whether it is a good essay from the intro).
Once u get into the exam, all you have to do is modify your intro to suit the question, and it should all flow from there (thats if you know what you have to talk about)

mjor

if its not an essay its just a matter of adapting your essay to suit audience/purpose.
whats a speech? basically an essay with a "good morning" and a changed voice that you just have to do when u get in there... the content is the same

spice girl

magic mirror
Yup, my plan's sorta similar to Nelly's and mjor's

1) you do a standard essay from one of the past papers (say last year's HSC), and you hand it in to the teacher.

2) If she says it's crap, repeat (1).

3) Otherwise, study your essay:
a) It should be in an intro-body-conclusion structure, and the body should have paragraphs that begin in topic sentences (TS). Stuff the intro, conc, and TS, focus on the rest of the body paragraphs where your content is.
b) Condense these into point-form.
e.g. Sky High:
* tense slip from past to present: create sense of immediacy
etc.
c) Learn these dot points off by heart

4) Go in and do the exam:
If it's an essay, make up the intro and the TS's there, and churn the points you've memorised. The conc. should be a regurgitation of the intro.
If it's a radio program, speech, feature article, etc, change the intro and TS's to suit the form.
NB: You should also study these forms + more, and practice writing intros to as many questions as you can find.

I've tried that. I'm not sure what marks I got, so don't quote me.

bekstah

HSC
N/A
mjor said:
if its not an essay its just a matter of adapting your essay to suit audience/purpose.
whats a speech? basically an essay with a "good morning" and a changed voice that you just have to do when u get in there... the content is the same
there are alot more features to a speech than saying 'good morning' .... you disgust me.
you need continual audience engagement, direct address, anecdote/statistical fact - something that will attract attention, rhetorical questions, add formality, but don't be too colloquial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)