Seeking Some Advice (1 Viewer)

ameher

HSC
Hey guys,

i was seeking some advice regarding my commerce major. I am currently majoring in accounting however after working in an accounting firm as a cadet i have realised that accounting is not for me. I intend to pursue a career in the legal field after i graduate however i would like to keep my options open within the commerce field.

So with that, i have decided to go change my major to either economics or finance. I would like to know the level of mathematics involved in second and third year finance and economics? easier or harder then say 2-unit maths? what are the career opportunities when these are combined with law. I am currently doing introductory economics and finance subjects and enjoy economics but am unsure as to the career prospects.

Any advice would be appreciated.

randomguy777

HSC
N/A
stick with accounting, plenty of job opportunities available. although the work you may be doing now is boring, it is not representative of the work you do in your later years 30 yrs old +.

economics/finance math levels. > should be easy.
most ppl prolly do accounting/law maybe because of increasing their chances to get into investment banking or whatever tax/audit related areas.

not many job opportunities for other finance/econ though, unless you want to work in the public sector government departments?

besides if you work in accounting related area, job more stable etc and perhaps easier promotion in the private sector.

usually i tend to think econ as more involved with the government public sector, so pay rises are low but initial salaries could be a little bit higher on average than accounting(private sector jobs).

want better uncapped salary paychecks? stick with accounting.

Last edited:

ameher

HSC
thanks for that man. Yer everyone i've spoken to has reiterated the points you brought up especially about government sector work which is not what i wanna do. I'll just stick with accounting as im not to keen on working in the government sector.

louy

HSC
N/A
I would also recommend doing the accountancy. It seriously opens so many doors and acts as a very solid foundation to all areas of the business.

Most people I know, after graduating, done 3 years experience in big four, then moved too all sorts of industry, ranging from Banking and Investing, property development and Entertainment.

A financial brain is essential for anything business related. And also no business related.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)