Selective School application 2017 !! (1 Viewer)

Bri5573

HSC
N/A
Hey. So I am applying for year 9 entry to Hornsby girls, north Sydney girls and st George girls in 2017. They will be assessing us using the HAST by ACER. If any of you have previously done this test please give any tips you can !! Hornsby are only using the exam to test applicants whether as NSG and SGGHS and combing the results with academic merit. I'm not so confident with my report as I got
English - A
Maths - B
Science - A
Geography - C
So hopefully I can smash the entrance exam and get accepted into Hornsby (who aren't looking at reports)
So, please provide me with any available tips you have on the HAST exam if you've done it before. Oh, and also if you happen to go to HGHS, NSG or SGGHS approximately how many new kids get a place each year (in year 8,9 and 10)
Thanks !!

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
In my school (one of the three listed) approx 5 or so got in in year 9, less in year 10 and then a whole lot, like 9 or so in year 11.

bunnykun

HSC
Im pretty sure NSG gives priority entry to students who choose a language/VA as their elective for yr 9/10
For my grade, there were 2 transfers in yr 9, 3 in yr 10 i think and then 9-10 for yr 11?? Spots are really tight until year 11.
Good luck for NSG :)

Bri5573

HSC
N/A
Oh my gosh, thanks so much for your detailed response !! And may I ask, at SGGHS do they select applicants mainly based on report or the entrance exam ?

Shazzaaa

HSC
I believe the entrance exam will have more weighting because it's standardised; but reports and extracurriculars will have quite a bit of weighting too.

Bri5573

HSC
N/A
I believe the entrance exam will have more weighting because it's standardised; but reports and extracurriculars will have quite a bit of weighting too.
I hope the entrance exam will have more weighting as my reports aren't all that great :(
I got
English - A
Maths - B
Science - A
Geography- C
PDHPE - C

Do you think I could get anywhere with these results? For extra-curricular i have done debating (yr 7&8), yr 7 dance, vocal group. For volunteering I have volunteered at the animal shelter and my local library. Out of school I do gymnastics, drama and singing.
Hope that's enough for at least one of the schools to consider me..
Thoughts ??

Shazzaaa

HSC
You might have to smash the entrance exams to make the C's less significant. Your extracurriculars seem good though.

Bri5573

HSC
N/A
You might have to smash the entrance exams to make the C's less significant. Your extracurriculars seem good though.
Ugh I was worried about the C's as well. Hornsby isn't looking at reports, extra-curriculars etc, they are solely going off of the exam.
So hopefully I can smash it for a place at Hornsby. Any tips on the exam would be greatly appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)