Selective school scaling (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Don't enter in school assessment marks, especially preliminary marks. Every school marks at a different standard. Your school may mark harder than in the HSC. SAM is meant for submission of your actual HSC marks to estimate as UAI, not your raw school marks.

YuMchA

HSC
lol means nothing i had some boslo lady come and she said its based on ur skools marks and ranks not on other skool which the thing uses its like and average and normally a selective scores above average so normally expect a high uai... ummm that thing is for previous years as well and the uai scaling and stuff changes each year so that thingy really means nothing. ummm wat else the scores u get are from within ur skool so say u come second last ranking in ur skool u wont go to bad cos u will get the second lowest score for the hsc in that subject at ur skool since being a selective shouldnt be that bad so dont worry... thats y its better to be at selective cos the environment is more competitive so ur raw mark will be bumped up a bit ^^ hope that helps

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
selective skool internal exams are usually harder than other skools and marked bloody hard.... (coz one 'normal' skool tutor saw my essay, told me it is like good as... and i should expect around a 98%.... pfft... my skool teacher gave me.... 85%.... now there is a huge effing difference in dat....)

our teachers mark harder, have higher expectations, and give us harder tests and always manages to deduct marks off somewhere... they would neva hand u something back without comments such as 'u use too many commas,' (english staff..) maths staff always manages to miss read ur 6 and 0, science staff ALWAYS accuses u of not drawing a line of best fit coz it 'looked' relali straight.... and the list continues....

but sif we are advantaged in the UAI... coz our skool internal assesmments marks are so bloody low (our skool's internal marks are wat drags us all the way down, proof yr afta yr), and no matter how good u do in ur hsc.... u ain't gonna get all dat good.. though BOS does boot some marks up so at least it is fair for da poor souls who are stressed when their teachers tell them that their uai should be above 75 IF THEY TRIED HARD.... yes tat is wat our careers adviser said....

"if u try hard enough, i don't see why not u can't get a 75 or above..." *i thought our skool was good! (top 10 of states)

selective skool kids are just told they should try hard to get into the 90s, and work their ass for for the good marks, and then the teachers mark u hard, and makes u feel stupid coz ur 8/10 is a fail mark, 9/10 is pass, and 10/10 , well, that is a satisfactory?????? *see the crap??*

so they are designed to make u feel crap.... and then make u feel crap at career interviews, and then surprise u wif a better mark than u expected...

[ok, i just had one lil interview wif career teacha, and is feeling shit bout my skool and its systems.......]

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
~Sw33ti3~ said:
but sif we are advantaged in the UAI... coz our skool internal assesmments marks are so bloody low (our skool's internal marks are wat drags us all the way down, proof yr afta yr), and no matter how good u do in ur hsc.... u ain't gonna get all dat good.. though BOS does boot some marks up so at least it is fair for da poor souls who are stressed when their teachers tell them that their uai should be above 75 IF THEY TRIED HARD.... yes tat is wat our careers adviser said....
But your acctual mark in school doesn't matter. It is your relative rank in your school that is used in your UAI calculation.

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
But your acctual mark in school doesn't matter. It is your relative rank in your school that is used in your UAI calculation.
then tat is seriously unfair.... coz sometimes the difference between the top and bottom person can b 2 marks..... isn't that stupid then??

i mean, this girl dropped out of our skool to go 2 a normal one coz she was relatively middle - low ish... and now she is topping all her subjects... so isn't tat then quite unfair for selective instead of being fair and giving them advantages??

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
No, it's good to be in a competative environment. If the teachers are marking very strictly then that's adventagous as you will strive for better HSC marks. As it's your relative rank, if the difference between first and last in only two marks then that doesn't matter at all.
However, if you're all getting around 70% and some bright kid is getting a 95% then you're in trouble. But from what I can gather, that doesn't seem to be happening.

My maths teacher always sets really hard exams and marks like an unholy cow, but it's a good thing. The average mark is around 60% but we're already doing practice HSC paper's because it's so comparatively easy. Same thing happens in japanese.

A l

HSC
N/A
Not all selective schools set high standards and not all non-selective schools set low standards. Every school has a different standard of giving marks and there can be even more variation of standards across different courses in the same school which can often correlate to the school's performance in particular courses. For example, the school I attend, Sefton High School, is a semi-selective school. The standard set for English is ridiculously high and very few people get over 50% in their assessment tasks, whereas the standard set for Mathematics is only a bit higher than that of the HSC. Paradoxically, even though the standard expected is very high for English, there are very few band 6 or band E4 results in the end (~5% of total DA last year), while the standard expected for Mathematics isn't as high, yet there are plentiful band 6 or band E4 results in the end (~48% of total DA last year).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)