• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

selective schools maths package poll (1 Viewer)

should everyone have access to the selective schools package?

• yes

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • no

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
after the trials the selective school students are given access to a "selective schools package" with all the recent maths trials from selective schools, but access is denied to everyone else.

this doesn't seem fair nor equitable.

some may say well they are in a selective school, they have a right to exclusive access to such resources.

others may say to level the playing field (which is what the hsc is supposed to be about), everyone else should have equal access

many such trials come out over the place on the net and it is quite a mess, but last year i collated them here and more recently here for the 2024 trials.

so do you think everyone should have access to this?

Last edited:

mishtidoi101

HSC
omg wtf thats actually kinda messed up like if u look at it, the hsc is basically a competition between individuals and schools. to make it fair, each school should be given the same resources, they can't js gatekeep spcl resources and then always be at the top like come on (im not saying its anyones fault that they r in a selective school but am js saying nesa and the gov should rlly focus on equality- can't js expect ppl to do good without giving them opportunities and the required resources to do so)

Aeonium

zero sugar, zero ice
HSC
N/A
omg wtf thats actually kinda messed up like if u look at it, the hsc is basically a competition between individuals and schools. to make it fair, each school should be given the same resources, they can't js gatekeep spcl resources and then always be at the top like come on (im not saying its anyones fault that they r in a selective school but am js saying nesa and the gov should rlly focus on equality- can't js expect ppl to do good without giving them opportunities and the required resources to do so)
this argument could be extended to private/independent schools and also tutoring

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
after the trials the selective school students are given access to a "selective schools package" with all the recent maths trials from selective schools, but access is denied to everyone else.

some may say well they are in a selective school, they have a right to exclusive access to such resources.

others may say to level the playing field (which is what the hsc is supposed to be about), everyone else should have equal access

many such trials come out over the place on the net and it is quite a mess, but last year i collated them here and more recently here for the 2024 trials.

I don;t think that is particularly true, my school had received access to the package despite being a private school

mishtidoi101

HSC
this argument could be extended to private/independent schools and also tutoring
tru but ig hsc resources should be equal and the same for all students writing the hsc (regardless of school). also tutoring is external and u pay ur own money for it

Aeonium

zero sugar, zero ice
HSC
N/A
tru but ig hsc resources should be equal and the same for all students writing the hsc (regardless of school). also tutoring is external and u pay ur own money for it
i would argue tutoring has a larger impact than simply being given access to past papers; these past papers generally get released before hsc on several platforms as well. i also think that the educational environment people are in has way more of an impact than these papers. and there are, imo, way more advantageous resources compared to past papers, that schools provide to their own students (not just for maths)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
I don;t think that is particularly true, my school had received access to the package despite being a private school
yes i am aware that some others may have some access, but more to the point it would be far better if there were a central repository where schools can upload their resources, particularly for the trials, so that everyone else can have access in a timely fashion for the hsc.

it shouldn't be up to me to have to collate this stuff

there has often been the accusation of "gatekeeping"

but that isn't a universal phenomenon.

many would be quite happy for their resources to be shared

there is the thsc, but by the time it ends up there, the hsc is over.

Aeonium

zero sugar, zero ice
HSC
N/A
yes i am aware that some others may have some access, but more to the point it would be far better if there were a central repository where schools can upload their resources, particularly for the trials, so that everyone else can have access in a timely fashion for the hsc.

there is the thsc, but by the time it end up there, the hsc is over.
should probably give an monetary incentive cos these poor overworked teachers don't get paid extra for making the papers (from what i've heard)

mishtidoi101

HSC
i would argue tutoring has a larger impact than simply being given access to past papers; these past papers generally get released before hsc on several platforms as well. i also think that the educational environment people are in has way more of an impact than these papers. and there are, imo, way more advantageous resources compared to past papers, that schools provide to their own students (not just for maths)
i see am not sure what school u go to, but my school deprives us of the basic necessity of a teacher who can teach (not for all subjects but still) so any xtra resources is highly welcomed

SS173

HSC

there is the thsc, but by the time it ends up there, the hsc is over.
Very good point. I think Education Department should lead the way for a central depository of HSC resources which every NSW school/student can access.

SS173

HSC
Private schools can do their own way as they are there for profit. But the selective schools are owned by the public. The general public interest requires a fair and equitable access to the resources for everyone.

shoulfer

HSC
Private schools can do their own way as they are there for profit. But the selective schools are owned by the public. The general public interest requires a fair and equitable access to the resources for everyone.
nah majority are not for profit which is why they receive govt. funding

SS173

HSC
nah majority are not for profit which is why they receive govt. funding
They classified non-profit for the tax purposes. Private entities are for the exclusive members. It is debated many times so I will not enter into this argument. Public funding of the private schools is one of the biggest scams in this country.

femboys4life

HSC

doesnt scaling inherently benefit selective schools over comprehensive schools anyways? seems like thats a good enough benefit of the system and this is just widening the gap. if anything the state should as u said make such resources centralised so that at least access to resources is equal. this doesnt necessarily mean private school kids will actually put in the effort but the ability to is there. equality of opportunity vs equality of outcome type argument

iloveeggs

future cat lady <3
HSC

what is the package bro im in a selective school and we got nothing. we got a few 2024 trial papers but they were all already available online either on bos or elsewhere

shoulfer

HSC
They classified non-profit for the tax purposes. Private entities are for the exclusive members. It is debated many times so I will not enter into this argument. Public funding of the private schools is one of the biggest scams in this country.
hahah I doubt it will ever go away 🤣 since the very politicians that have the power to make the change send their kids to these schools.

ajdsklajskdl

HSC
theres so many free hsc resources everywhere, more trial papers than u can even possibly do. this bundle doesnt really create a large disparity, just go to ur local library and borrow some excel books, who gaf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)