self teach?? (1 Viewer)

humptydumpty5

HSC
N/A
hi people how are you I just wanted to ask a question. Does anyone know how to effectively self-teach and if so could anyone share some tips. I am falling behind in chemistry and physics majorly and I am having trouble teaching myself the content. I just want to be able to catch up asap since I know assignments are going to start coming up soon and don't want to fall behind anymore else pwease help

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
read textbook, make notes, and then consolidate whatever topic you've just learnt by watching the corresponding video on Edrolo

ngl i hate to do that a lot this year due to shit teachers

dasfas

HSC
Textbooks, KhanAcademy, The Organic Chemistry Tutor (YouTube), ConquerHSC etc...

There's basically unlimited free resources out there, you just need the motivation :) Good luck!

4321suomynona

HSC
So Im in the same year as you and i really wanted to go forward in chemistry because i have passion and interest in chem. So in the holidays between term 3 and term 4 i started studying module 5 chem. First i tried studying the content myself from an atar notes textbook. Didnt work the best so what i did is watched videos about chemistry. Specifically Col Harrison chemistry videos and made notes from his videos.
Heres the link for Col harriosons playlists.
Next what i did is apply my understanding to the concepts i have learnt. Then i did EVERY single question in module 5 chemistry from Pearson Year 12. right up to the end of module 5 chapter review. Make sure to check ur answers as you go along. And im sure u will have questions which ur unsure about. Skip them and come back to it later (unless ur understanding in a broader concept is weak --> if so try and watch videos about that concept and try clear it up) or ask ur teacher if you have a good relation with ur teacher at school and im sure they would be willing to help. ALSO. Make sure to note down those questions in a separate book and name it mistakes. This is the book u will look over right before ur exams. Next I opened up chemistry in focus and started doing all the questions again for module 5. But by this time year 12 had rolled over and i needed to dedicate more time to my others subjects and i felt that by doing ALL the questions there was too much repetiton and it would be a waste of time so i went to chem in focus module 5 review and did all those questions to see where my weak spots were. I realised I had a gap in knowldge in Ksp (solubility product) and so i went back to the notes for chem in focus on the chapter of Ksp. Then i read all the questions and wrote down all the examples and how to do them in my notes book. Now i have a much clearer and broader understanding of that topic and specially for Ksp i reckon the exmaples in pearson and in focus are slighltly different so check all of it out. And i can defintely say this works beause my teacher made us do a quiz for chem about a week ago. In that quiz of about 10-15 questions (all from past papers so those questions did require you to think a lot) i only got 1 wrong. And that question i got wrong only 1 person in the class (out of 24) got right, most likely because that question was very odd and tricked a lot of us. Finally after you have done all this i defintely recommend doing TONS of past papers for the previous reason. Like currently im trying many modue 5 questions from any trials papers or chem papers i can find because those unique questions requiring a lot of thinking and depth of knowledge in the subject mainly for high caliber students and they are only found in past papers. In textbooks its very route and like plug and chug of concepts especially in chemistry which requires less complicated calculations compared to physics. Typically papers from sydney grammar or any top selective school are good because they need to differentiate between great and good students through the difficulty of questions. And after this I'd say ur besically set ahaha. But all the above is great and all considering you have a passion and motivation in chemistry. DONT do any of what im saying if you dont like the subject and dont truly love learning it and have something that motivates you to continue because you wont be able to dedicate 100% of yourself into what ur studying. Also my teacher gave us these homework booklets which had a few questions from different textbooks and some really cool past paper questions at the end (total of about 43 pages). All in all just understand and practice. Thats it. Any questions try and see if you can solve urself or just ask ur teacher for help.

For physics i would recommend do a similar thing, although imo physics is much more difficult that chemistry and requires a lot more complex calculations and depth in understanding of the concepts.
Hope this helps. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)