Self teaching 4u in holidays (1 Viewer)

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, does anyone have any tips on self learning 4u in the upcoming summer holidays. Anyone that self studied for 4u have any tips/resources? Also how much of the course do you think would be a good idea to cover?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Grab a textbook and read it/do problems. That's really about as simple as it gets lol.

rohankk_

HSC
I did a bit of this in the holidays before Year 12.

Would definitely reccommend Eddie Woo's youtube channel for all his 4u topics, he covers them very well, used him alot to self teach integration & mechanics
Terry Lee is the bible for 4u questions and comes with worked solutions aswell. He's made a new edition for the new syllabus if im correct aswell.

Enjoy

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
I did a bit of this in the holidays before Year 12.

Would definitely reccommend Eddie Woo's youtube channel for all his 4u topics, he covers them very well, used him alot to self teach integration & mechanics
Terry Lee is the bible for 4u questions and comes with worked solutions aswell. He's made a new edition for the new syllabus if im correct aswell.

Enjoy
Thank you for your reply! Just wondering, do you recommend Terry Lee for 3U? I currently use MIF and Cambridge for 3U but I want to find harder questions, especially with the minimal past papers.

rohankk_

HSC
Thank you for your reply! Just wondering, do you recommend Terry Lee for 3U? I currently use MIF and Cambridge for 3U but I want to find harder questions, especially with the minimal past papers.
To be honest, I've never even seen one of the terry lee 3u textbooks in my life so would not be able to provide advice there. I've looked through the Nelson and Cambridge for the new syllabus as I am still tutoring the new syllabus and have found that Cambridge still has a lot of good questions from the old 3u textbook but the topics aren't organised as well. I believe schools prefer the nelson as this is what all my students use at school.
Sorry about the late reply, as you can see from my posting count I don't use this site often.

vinlatte

HSC
I'm planning to self-study MX2 over the holidays too.
I downloaded online textbooks (Maths in Focus, New Senior Mathematics) and found out there's a resource section. It has extra worksheets aside from the exercises and some have video tutorials and interactive worksheets too.

It's more convenient to use a tablet for reading the textbook, though I do prefer the pages of a physical book. And I think revising past content with chapter reviews would be helpful too.

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm planning to self-study MX2 over the holidays too.
I downloaded online textbooks (Maths in Focus, New Senior Mathematics) and found out there's a resource section. It has extra worksheets aside from the exercises and some have video tutorials and interactive worksheets too.

It's more convenient to use a tablet for reading the textbook, though I do prefer the pages of a physical book. And I think revising past content with chapter reviews would be helpful too.
Wow there are online resources available for New syllabus 2/3/4U already???

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with rohankk_, if you want more challenging questions than the standard Cambridge questions, Terry Lee is definitely the go-to textbook. From past editions I'd say it's not as challenging as his 4U textbook (obviously), but it's still a good textbook to get

Also it's a good idea to have minimum past exam questions & minimum overlap with what will be taught in school. That being said, it's better to choose a reliable yet different textbook than the school to study during the summer holidays =D

1-99

HSC
N/A
Cambridge Maths Textbook for new syllabus!

dumNerd

HSC
Hey just wondering how many textbooks you guys would be using for 3U/4U. I have the Cambridge and like 500 past papers (most out of syllabus)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey just wondering how many textbooks you guys would be using for 3U/4U. I have the Cambridge and like 500 past papers (most out of syllabus)
Personally I never ever used a textbook unless I was forced to by the teacher for homework and what not. Textbook problems are usually much easier than exam problems so imo a textbook should only be used if your trying to learn something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)