Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2006) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck. I knew I shouldn't have posted this if I wasn't ready for an argument with Justin.... *sigh*

withoutaface said:
I don't need to study structural mechanics to know that concrete and steel are better building matrials than cardboard and toothpicks. The fact that there's not a market for toothpick engineers tells me this.
But you still don't study the subject, or anything related to it. This doesn't place you in any position to be making sweeping generalisations about the subject matter. You keep on avoiding my points about the fact that there has been calls for political economists with the employers I mentioned earlier. This in itself proof that ECOP isn't as entirely useless as you say it is.

withoutaface said:
If nursing became endangered wages for nurses would go up to encourage more people to do it, as would teaching. Where are your sources on garbage collection ot being profitable.
Again, in your infinite blindness, you have failed to take into account the fact that wages for nursing and education are not market controlled. The wages for these sectors are government controlled and thus, the traditional supply and demand functions applicable in neo-classical economic thinking don't apply here - yet another fault of the paradigm.

The garbage collection thing is something I heard once, random bit of trivia. Considering the nature of the work though, I can't see how it could be profitable.

waf said:
Orthodox is not a perfect predictor of the market, but it does a lot better than anything else, and this is shown by the fact that companies are willing to hire economists.
Yes you are right. (see I am capable of agreeing with you!)

waf said:
HECS students are getting a service for cut price rate compared to full fee and international students, they're free to change to full fee places and end this "discrimination" if they so wish.
Again, thats Liberal rhetoric if I ever heard it. Not everyone has the option of just changing to full fee paying at the drop of a hat. Why don't we all sit around and start saying that the poor are poor because they choose to be? Or that recessions are explained by contagious laziness all round?

waf said:
There are socially oriented economics units at UNSW.
But its not specific Political Economy, and the Department at USyd as it is, is one of the only of its kind in the world.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

Yeah I had a look at mine too, and its shaping up well - another three day week, this time with Monday and Fridays off - huzzah!! :)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

ah shit, i just found out one of the subjects i want to do has lecture on a Tuesday, which would be the only subject to do a lecture on that day :(

HSC
N/A

Timetable unit thingy on MyUni. Mine's not looking too good.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC

looks like im gonna have a similar timetable to what i had this semester.

monday off, hopefully, it the tutes work out fine.

im dropping PHIL1010 next sem and picking up an intermediate sociology unit (SCLG2613 - sociology of childhood and youth...coz i have academic credit for 1002 and 1001 from my studies at uws) i wanted to do SCLG2614 or SCLG2612 but the lectures would clash with my ECOP. Ah well.

transcendent

HSC
N/A

thanks u-ju-pleez!

i'm going to have clashes next semester... IF they allow me to continue studying.

tennille

HSC

I have to much time on my hands. I just noticed on the usyd website that one of the stduents that pop up on the front page states "Sydney is a university that will stretch you past your "comfort zone", pushing you to think hard about issues that make a difference in our world." Lol.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC

Tennille said:
I have to much time on my hands. I just noticed on the usyd website that one of the stduents that pop up on the front page states "Sydney is a university that will stretch you past your "comfort zone", pushing you to think hard about issues that make a difference in our world." Lol.
uni definitely stretches you past your "comfort zones" that's for sure....loosens your morals a little bit too...

or maybe that was just me :eek:

On another note: I'm so sick of studying. It's only just begun!

tennille

HSC

True- i just never new sydney was a university. I thought it was funny. :(

Templar

P vs NP
HSC

withoutaface said:
I don't need to study structural mechanics to know that concrete and steel are better building matrials than cardboard and toothpicks. The fact that there's not a market for toothpick engineers tells me this.
One would think that there will be a great demand for composite and ceramic (which is itself a composite) engineers due to the ability to construct materials that satisfy almost every property we want. This should reflect back on uni intakes for composite/material engineering, and as such, these courses have higher UAI cut offs as a result. Yet UNSW material engineering has one of the lowest cut offs for engineering, and they have to resort to scholarships for people to enter.

And just because you're mechantronic does not mean you should overlook the properties of composites such as cardboard and wood (toothpick). By following the example of natural composites (cellulose in wood, to use toothpick), we can create material far stronger than any metallic alloy possible, with far better fatigue resistance and superior strength to weight ratio.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC

Tennille said:
I have to much time on my hands.
Not going through your biochem textbook? Oh that's right, you actually turned up to the lectures.

Now unless I get 80+, I'm not doing biochem next semester.

lala2

Banned
HSC

So demotivated...:( probably because I got an HD in my major assignment in pharmacy worth 40%, so I'm guaranteed a pass as the exam is only 20%. :D but chemistry is up first, and worth the most at 75%...:eek: and I still haven't started studying for it...Monday...dammit! :mad1:

Any tips on getting motivated guys? I just haven't been motivated since the HSC ended....:zzz:

Last edited:
J

jhakka

Tennille said:
You really need to get out more.
Bahaha. :D

Templar: Go to lectures, study less, get out more. In that order, and everything works out better.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Hmm just went to uni to get my claw1001 essay. Got a D i'm happy.
total mark for the subject so far is 82 D.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC

jhakka said:
Templar: Go to lectures, study less, get out more. In that order, and everything works out better.
I can't study any less than nothing. :p

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

lala2 said:
So demotivated...:( probably because I got an HD in my major assignment in pharmacy worth 40%, so I'm guaranteed a pass as the exam is only 20%. :D but chemistry is up first, and worth the most at 75%...:eek: and I still haven't started studying for it...Monday...dammit! :mad1:

Any tips on getting motivated guys? I just haven't been motivated since the HSC ended....:zzz:
I know how you feel. I rang a friend today and asked her how her "Stu"Vac was going, and she pertinently replied : "Well I'm doing a lot of the latter and not so much of the former..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)