Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2008) (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter Thread

nah, that's carlton draught. basically, it's a beer designed to steal market share from VB (and it's backed by Lion Nathan). It goes for 'bogans' and uni students for whom drinking beer is almost subconsciously a rite of passage to manhood. Plus it'll have humorous slogans like:
‘Cider: very fruity. Beer: very manly’
White wine: best served chilled. Beer: best served by a beer wench

and for kathelle: 'suck on a long, hard Man'

stazi

Nightman
HSC

nope, it's basically XXXX (four-ex) but with better branding

amber44

HSC

Stazi were you in the lecture today, have fun? LOL

stazi

Nightman
HSC

nah i didn't go. what happened during the lecture?

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
nah i didn't go. what happened during the lecture?
She handed out the take home exam.
One of the initial points she was making, atleast that's how I took it was, you weren't allowed to use your sources etc from your presentation, because she didn't want us regurgitating stuff we've already done.

THEN, she says that the only material we're allowed to use for the take home is stuff from the unit, so the course reader, further readings list, AND the stuff you used for your presentation. You are not allowed to use ANYTHING ELSE!

For you and me it's going to be relatively easy because your topic that you covered in your preso and mine, make up two of the three questions....

1. Critically discuss the ways in which Agenda Setting theories can be intergrated within Semiotic theories of media in contemporary society

2. Critically discuss the ways in which gender is represented within media in contemporary society

3. Critically discuss how the 'othering' of social groups in maintained within Australian media in contemporary society

Answer ONE of the above questions
1500 word limit, NOT including biblography
Due: 10:30am Friday 6th June

stazi

Nightman
HSC

oh yeah i got the exam from the tute, but thanks for typing the questions out :)

I'm pissed off we can't use external sources. Really stupid, imo. At least she didn't include the biblio this time, but wtf about having it due 10:30am on Friday 6th June??

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
oh yeah i got the exam from the tute, but thanks for typing the questions out :)

I'm pissed off we can't use external sources. Really stupid, imo. At least she didn't include the biblio this time, but wtf about having it due 10:30am on Friday 6th June??
Yeah, random!
Although I can sort of see her point about using only stuff from the course because that's what would be expected of us if we were to do a sit down exam.....although it still doesn't really make sense, for those people have done independent learning outside of the 'metal cage' we call Annette's Special Subject.

I'm going to talk to Jeff tomorrow about my preso mark, and see where I possibly could've gone wrong, will our marks be standardised across the two markers?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

I don't think Annette would know how to scale marks.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

amber44 said:
Yeah, random!
Although I can sort of see her point about using only stuff from the course because that's what would be expected of us if we were to do a sit down exam.....although it still doesn't really make sense, for those people have done independent learning outside of the 'metal cage' we call Annette's Special Subject.

I'm going to talk to Jeff tomorrow about my preso mark, and see where I possibly could've gone wrong, will our marks be standardised across the two markers?
oh and in an actual sit down exam, we'd still have the option to use other sources

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
oh and in an actual sit down exam, we'd still have the option to use other sources
I know...who know's what she's thinking. Bless her little soul and broken wrist.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

it's really annoying though. say i want to discuss an example from a magazine that I read showing that women are exploited somehow. i no longer have the option to do that. in fact, I think I can do a very interesting analysis by applying the topic of video games to one of the questions (particularly gender and sexuality in video games). For instance, I just read an article how a gay gamer was banned from Xbox Live because his nickname was 'GayerGamer' as this nickname was "offensive to families". Then there's the subject of women as heroines in video games. Really intersting stuff and unique to the discipline of sociology. However, I can no longer do this... gay. mer.

P.s. she has not published a single academic article. Wtf was she even hired?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC

I refuse to go to another one of Annette's lectures. I walked out after about an hour

stazi

Nightman
HSC

hm strange, the uni site doesn't attribute any articles to her.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

your fingers smell of lenin's anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)