Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2008) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter Thread

stazi said:
hahahahhahaha that was a DVD!!!!!! She obviously hasn't heard of scene selection. I wonder if she rewinds the DVDs back to the beginning after watching?

Went pretty well, I think, although it was quite fragmented. I basically took the Marxist paradigm and critiqued it.
Bourgeois scum.

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
Went pretty well, I think, although it was quite fragmented. I basically took the Marxist paradigm and critiqued it.
Oh ok, so you picked a view and critiqued it etc etc...? I've got mine first week back and am not sure how to attack it.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC

I dunno what happened to me SCLG tute this week lol
And only 4 people turned up to my cultural studies tute. Kinda awkward

stazi

Nightman
HSC

amber44 said:
Oh ok, so you picked a view and critiqued it etc etc...? I've got mine first week back and am not sure how to attack it.
Yeah, I was the only person doing it this week in my tute, so had quite a bit of freedom. Basically my structure was:

What are 'frames'?
The Marxist paradigm in agenda setting
The Public Sphere
Fox News under-reporting on Bush: an expression of state power?
Fox News audiences preferring pro-Bush stories: an expression of audience power?
Globalization, contemporary technology and media + censorship: a balanced world view?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

bazookajoe said:
I dunno what happened to me SCLG tute this week lol
And only 4 people turned up to my cultural studies tute. Kinda awkward
protest?

el gwapo

HSC

jayadore said:
My tutorial got cancelled today, so I didn't show up until 10 for Paul Ginns's education lecture. 30mins later, darling Paul still hasn't arrived and we are informed he won't grace us with his prescence at all.

So I go home in the filthy heat. Then, a few hours later as I got out of the car to go to work, I slammed the door on my thumb. It is currently blue.

I think I win for "who had the worst Thursday". :cool:
of course you could've gone to the repeat at 12 (which apparently went through smoothly)

anyone have english tutes with james? he always seem to take more than the usual 50 minutes

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

el gwapo said:
of course you could've gone to the repeat at 12 (which apparently went through smoothly)

anyone have english tutes with james? he always seem to take more than the usual 50 minutes
I know but, like my friend said, if he can't be bothered to turn up to our lecture, why should we turn up to his? Plus I had to work that day. Did you attend? Did I miss anything?

And James Marland? I have him. Horrid horrid horridddd.

HSC

stazi said:
furthermore, how shit is the SCLG2606 lecturer's bibliography guide. Firstly it's not an actual referencing style. She just makes up her own and says 'use it'. Secondly, she wants us to do this for books (which is ok), newspaper articles and online sources:

Smith, R., 2000, "I am a book", London, Cambridge Press

Sydney Morning Herald
1 June 2000, Spectrum Features, 'Have a Nice Riot', p.8

19 March 2008, "I am an online article" in the Age, www.theage.com.au

What the fuck. Why would you:
a) Not write the author's name (even though she says the newspaper owns the article, not the author)
b) Write the date you accessed it first, before anything else
c) Not bother with the date of publication at all. Isn't it important to look at the date, especially if someone is incorrectly using data from 100 years ago.

argh.

And who the hell italicises the newspaper of publication above the other details as a heading.
I think you have Annette Falahey?? She is taking one of my subjects as well...I wholeheartedly agree about the wtfness of her referencing scheme. I have never seen such retardedness appear in an academic journal or book.

I HATE IT WHEN LECTURERS STOP ME FROM USING FOOTNOTES. DIEDIEDIEDIE

stazi

Nightman
HSC

haha, yes that is the lecturer. I personally don't like using footnotes at all (have only used them once only because I had to). I would like to look up some of her works and see if she references as retardedly as what she puts in the uos outline

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

I hate in-text referencing. It breaks up the whole flow of the essay.

Footnoting FTW.

CurlyRuby

HSC

scarybunny said:

Footnoting FTW.
Agreed. But in all my subjects there's this "USE HARVARD IN TEXT REFERENING OR YOU WILL BURRNNNNNNNNNNN ON THE ALTAR OF FAIL" attitude going on.

KarmaKitten

HSC

scarybunny said:

Footnoting FTW.

I agree. Its what annoys me about my Government subjects insistence on in-text referencing. Footnoting is a lot smoother.

lala2

Banned
HSC

Let's just say I'm soooooooo glad midsem break's here! Caught the virus that's going around on MOnday I think, then trained it home with a sore throat and dehydrated (my water bottle had run out) on a tin can of a train in peak hour on Tuesday, sick by Wednesday, Thursday barely managed to pull through. So now spending the Easter break recovering when I have two group assignments and a whole lot of catching up to do!

I dunno if it's normal for people used to uni, but everytime I return to uni (especially first semesters!) I'm always so exhausted I just go home, eat and then sleep and no revision of any sort. So exhausted first years out there, you're not alone, I'm going into my third year of this stuff and still exhausted!

And omg I queued up in the copy centre queue for the first time ever...don't do it if you can help it. I wish they didn't put a surcharge on credit cards or at least force all courses to submit course readers by a certain deadline so they're all available for teh start of semester and not force me into this situation!

And *shakes fist* at the pharm faculty, why are they so lazy they cannot allocate us to externship placements? Every other uni in Australia does it! I'm just glad midsem break is now, if it were any later I think I would have collapsed! So hopefully next part of this semester is better.

amber44

HSC

Happy Easter everyone!

I was supervising yesterday at crappy Coles, we don't get penalty rates right, it was a normal Saturday trade?

CurlyRuby

HSC

Yeah so far as I know it was normal trade, no penalty rates. Tomorrow and Good Friday we got penalty rates.

KarmaKitten

HSC

You didnt get penaltyrates for saturday? I worked yesterday and I definately got rates. $60 an hour.

As if I would have given up my public holiday saturday if there were no penalty rates involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)