Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2008) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter Thread

jayadore said:
Plus, lately it's been so packed
yeah, they do need to increase the capacity in fisher. there are occasional plans to reorganise everything to create more desk space and increase the number of computers and areas for group work, but nothing ever seems to come of it.

solution: use any other library, they're all basically empty all the time, so there's always desks. burkitt-ford and schaeffer are good, although i don't think schaeffer has computers (other than the catalogue).

latvia

HSC
N/A

jayadore said:
No. I hate it. Fisher library is intimidating and everyone looks at you oddly, assuming I'm a first year straight away (which I am but still!). Plus, lately it's been so packed and I can't work with lots of people around me.

/rantwhingeetc.
hahaha maybe they think you look innocently cute? Hmmm yeah, I realise there are a lot of people these days..not just recently! Since like week 3..

latvia

HSC
N/A

Triangulum said:
yeah, they do need to increase the capacity in fisher. there are occasional plans to reorganise everything to create more desk space and increase the number of computers and areas for group work, but nothing ever seems to come of it.

solution: use any other library, they're all basically empty all the time, so there's always desks. burkitt-ford and schaeffer are good, although i don't think schaeffer has computers (other than the catalogue).
where is shaeffer?

CurlyRuby

HSC

Haha sorry guys, I was at my cousins house and I went on her comp...lol confusion much.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

latvia said:
where is shaeffer?
rc mills building. it's the art history and theory library, completely silent and filled with pretentious macbook-using ARHT students, but there's usually desks free to work at.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

Triangulum said:

Everything I need is in fisher though and I don't want to lug books around on campus.

Is Schaeffer the one in the Mills building? Or does my map lie?

@Latvia: Yeah, innocent and cute is me to a tee. ;)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Pretty much every single library apart from Fisher will be filled to capacity whenever you visit. That's the rule I follow. I've never been upstairs to the Carslaw library, but every other one is the same. The Badham library in particular is God awful.

And jayodore, don't be too put off. I was in the AV section looking at microfiche the other day and the attendant thought I was first year too. :eek:

neafoo

HSC

Theres usually a few spare seats in the stack

latvia

HSC
N/A

I really like the conservatorium library.. it makes me calm.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

I sit in the stacks, I've never had to search for seats in there.

Also, I do the majority of my work at home.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC

Computer labs is where i'm at nowadays, trying to leech net and printing off the IT dept...although they get pretty noisy nowadays with those group of guys playing dota and n64 games.

neafoo

HSC

I've never been in any other library than fisher. I do most of my work and reading and research at uni, i only type my assignments up at home.

HSC

scarybunny said:
I sit in the stacks, I've never had to search for seats in there.

Also, I do the majority of my work at home.
Where exactly is the Fisher Stack? I've probably been in it so many times yet not known it. Please enlighten me.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

Iheartpaulfrank said:
Where exactly is the Fisher Stack? I've probably been in it so many times yet not known it. Please enlighten me.
it's just the informal name for fisher research.

amber44

HSC

For SCLG2601, we've got a take home exam. One of the questions is as follows,

'What questions inspired the work of the ‘classical’ sociological theorists?'​

Seems straight forward enough, am I just suppose to answer that, or critically analyse it aswell, and if so, how?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

amber44 said:
Did you get one?
Oh Annette, I've never seen a bibliography included in the word count, but I guess there's a first for everything.
I actually really like Annette, she seems like a really nice person. I thought today's lecture was interesting although I wish Marlene? spoke up abit and actually answered the questions during the Q&A with abit more detail and insight.
And then in the tutorial, Annette denied that the Redfern Riots were a riot. Apparently there were only a small number of people in the street and only a few rocks were thrown. Conveniently she forgot the molotov cocktails present. Also, bricks and empty bottles were thrown, too.

amber44 said:
Stazi, you seem like a smart cookie, how should I attack the SCLG2606 essay question? It seems pretty straight forward, but is there anything 'extra' I should be bringing up? Apart from comparing it to other theories, and emphasising the negatives of agenda setting, what else am I suppose to do?
Not sure yet. Haven't really looked at it.

HSC

amber44 said:
For SCLG2601, we've got a take home exam. One of the questions is as follows,

'What questions inspired the work of the ‘classical’ sociological theorists?'​

Seems straight forward enough, am I just suppose to answer that, or critically analyse it aswell, and if so, how?
Blah. Do one of the other questions!

Read about the spirit of capitalism, class conflict and suicide. So much easier. :)

(I'm assuming the questions on the soc theory exam haven't changed)

KarmaKitten

HSC

I couldnt be bothered going to any library other than Fisher. I just hide in the fisher research tables if it gets too crowded. I always find a table, especially on levels 7-9

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Silver Persian said:
Blah. Do one of the other questions!

Read about the spirit of capitalism, class conflict and suicide. So much easier. :)

(I'm assuming the questions on the soc theory exam haven't changed)
Hahaha class conflict. I would have so much fun with one of these subjects :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)