Semester 2 Chatter Thread (2006) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Re: Semester 2 Chatter Thread

Could someone fill me in on todays PHIL1010 lecture? (Plato - Justice I'm guessing)

I slept through HSTY1044 and consequently/consecutively missed the 3pm lecture :(

transcendent

HSC
N/A

he's a neo-nazi and i'm his biggest fan cause he's my counterpart.

Libbster

HSC

hey hiphop when do u have ur psyc lectures? mine are tues @ 1 or 3, depending if i want to have lunch, 10 on thurs and 10 on fri :ninja:

i hate being sick, its always happens to me and then i take like 2 weeks to get over cos i have such a weak immune system :( pwned

lala2

Banned
HSC

oooo....stalking and romance abound on campus! ;)

P.S. please don't stalk me thanks! :)

tlodg

HSC
N/A

lala2 said:
oooo....stalking and romance abound on campus! ;)

P.S. please don't stalk me thanks! :)
:(

:rofl:

0+7=27?

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A

Malfoy said:
Ameh, can you please fill me in on today's ENGL1015 lecture (as well as tomorrow's?). I had a 9 til 5 day without a break and ENGL1015 was what got sacrificed in order for me to pop off to get lunch somewhere.

Sure. Today the lecturer detailed:

Walt Whitman's contextual background i.e. His start as a charismatic leftist Long Islander, travel within MA and back again. (Twas a cultured man, and immersed himself in literature)
popularity of 'Leaves of Grass' reflected in its first publication - 800 novels, prior to this Whitman published pieces of Temperance

the form of Leaves of Grass - Poetry as the prosaic form, i.e. Prose ---- Poetry

Umm what else, Yes - The lecturer added a few Emerson quotes on ppt. (You'll find it on WebCT) and basically went on about how Whitman imbibed Emersons challenge (Won't make sense until you read the slides btw)

On the second or third page the lecturer scanned was a sketch of a carpenter, fairly laid back (Again, you need to check webCT or get a copy of LOG to make sense of this drivel) and possibly in monochrome. Here, youcan draw a contrast between the manual labour of constructing a house and the art of writing (skilled) where both converge at the point of aesthetics and at times, practicality. (not sure ifI agree, but anyway)

The figurative significance of LOG's title - puns on ''leaves of a tree, and of a book''

Mentioned something about conversation routinelyimplied in text as a sexual encounter, also the text runs at a conversational ease, Whitman's verse is unrhymed.

Erm....That's all I can remember from the top of my head. I'll get back to you w. Lecture 4 next Tuesday during Renaissance. (Whenever I see you next)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

ameh said:
Could someone fill me in on todays PHIL1010 lecture? (Plato - Justice I'm guessing)

I slept through HSTY1044 and consequently/consecutively missed the 3pm lecture :(

We didn't do Plato in first year, we kinda skipped it. This isn't directly in relation to justice but drawing upon knowledge from second year though:

- Plato is a cynical bastard who believed that everyone was stupid
- Thus, they didn't know whats best for them, especially in matters pertaining to goverence
- Tyranny, oligarchy and democracy are not seperated by much
- In terms of equality, Plato doesn't have an idea of equality which suits our Western liberal democratic ideal of equal. This too extends into the information about justice.
- Plato was a student of Socrates, and as democracy was responsible for Socrates' execution, Platos' view of justice is fairly cynical.

HSTY 1004 - What was it supposed to be about?

emjayel

HSC
N/A

Malfoy said:
A good lecturer can make a boring subject good, but when you just don't see the point in the subject matter and the lecturer is really biased, it drives you up the wall. (Reminds me somewhat of HSC EE1 to be honest.)

And Comps in Ed... well, even the person taking it said they needed to update it because everybody would be able to do it. She said even with informal qualifications we could bring in a portfolio and just get exempt, which is what I'll do. I have a 9-6 day that day with basically no break (I tutor in my break) so it'd be nice to exempt myself from that hour!
The thing I've found most frustrating about ICE is that half of the things my tute leader (Neville) says are just... wrong. It's rather painful sitting there listening to the inaccuracies in his statements.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A

ujuphleg said:
We didn't do Plato in first year, we kinda skipped it. This isn't directly in relation to justice but drawing upon knowledge from second year though:

- Plato is a cynical bastard who believed that everyone was stupid
- Thus, they didn't know whats best for them, especially in matters pertaining to goverence
- Tyranny, oligarchy and democracy are not seperated by much
- In terms of equality, Plato doesn't have an idea of equality which suits our Western liberal democratic ideal of equal. This too extends into the information about justice.
- Plato was a student of Socrates, and as democracy was responsible for Socrates' execution, Platos' view of justice is fairly cynical.

HSTY 1004 - What was it supposed to be about?

Thanks Susan :)

Um, I don't know.... Dyou mean HSTY1044 - TwentiethC History and Politics?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

did anyone attend rio day? what'd you guys think?

Libbster

HSC

shit! i completely forgot, i heard noise from manning but my brain didn't connect. :(

in other news, i am class rep for math1004 lol

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

ameh!!

hullo

on PHIL1010 we talked about the Republic basically

main points were justice: Thrasymachus's argument against justice (justice is in the interests of the strong, or always in the interests of somebody else's good)

socrates argued that there is skill (techne) in politics and that injustice is ignorance, then he made a further 3 arguments that not being just leads to strugging, that justice helps society, and finally that

1. all things have functions
2. functions have an excellence
3. the souls function is to guide the body
4. the excellence of the soul is justice
5. good soulds are happy .:. justice pays

however, point 4 wasnt proved merley stated

in Bk 2 Glaucon wants to see justice argued for for it's own sake, Socarates argues this, but then Glaucon says that if ppl could be unjust they would either if they had a ring of invisibility, or comparing a just man who has no reward and an only seemily just man with great reward, we'd prefer to be the latter

Thats is, summarised

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

ameh said:
Thanks Susan :)

Um, I don't know.... Dyou mean HSTY1044 - TwentiethC History and Politics?
Oops, yes I did mean HSTY 1044 - I did that one last year I thought I might be able to help you if you told me what week/topic. :)

I just found out today that a) you guys have Nick Smith as a lecturer YOU POOR THINGS!!! and b) you have to buy all the books individually instead of a reader. Damn!! If you continue with 2nd year Political Philosphy thats fine, but to buy 5 x ~$9+ books stacks up...

stazi

Nightman
HSC

townie, you looked sad today :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)