Senior Business Students! (1 Viewer)

epsilon

HSC
Hey guys! I'm about to start B. Business this year and I have a few questions regarding it. Hope someone can help me out.

1. Is there a heavy Economics content in the course? I didn't take Eco or Business Studies in Year 12, so I think I would have a bit of a problem with it if I have to do it now. However, I only plan to (if 2 majors) major in Accounting and International Business/Banking, or (if 1 major and 2 sub-majors) major in Accounting plus sub-major in Business Law/Taxation Law and International Accounting.

2. I also did not take TAFE's Accounting in Year 12. Will that disadvantage me further?

3. How much is the full upfront HECS fees for the 1st year?

Thanx!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
1. There is only 1 compulsory introductory economics subject (Economics For Business) that you have to take in the BBus. It is basically the entire HSC Economics Year 11 and 12 course, plus a bit extra. I personally didn't do Economics either in the HSC, and I found the subject alright. If you read the textbook and attend the lectures and tutorials, then it'll be fine. Having done it in the HSC would probably help you, but don't worry too much if you didn't. Most of the students who do the BBus degree haven't done Economics in the HSC either. They start from the beginning. Having said that, you may have to do some more economics subjects depending on the major you take. There is none in the Accounting major/sub-majors, however there is 1 I believe in the Banking major, so that would be a continuation of the introductory subject. Besides that, probably no more than 2 subjects unless you do the Economics major. If you really want to focus on Accounting, then I'd go with your 2nd preference. There is another accounting sub-major available as well, with advanced accounting subjects, if you are interested in that too.

2. No that will not disadvantage you, as Certificate II in Accounting at TAFE (the one you do in Year 11 and 12) is only about 1/4 of what you will learn in the first year of the BBus. You will find the bookkeeping stuff in Accounting easier if you had done this, but besides that, there is a lot of other stuff they teach you at uni in your first year which you wouldn't have done. Again, they start from the beginning, so don't worry about this too much.

3. This depends on the subjects you do. Most of the BBus subjects are in Band 2, except for the Business Law ones which are in Band 3. If you look up each subject in the handbook (http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au) and at the bottom of each subject's description has the amount for that subject (around $800 for a Band 2 subject I think), so just add it all up and you'll get your total for the year. You pay upfront per semester though, not year.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
In a way, yes. There are 2 main semesters in 1 year, Autumn and Spring. Some unis don't use those terms, but most do; some just call them Session 1 and Session 2. Some unis also have summer school and winter school, which are sometimes classed as smaller semesters.

epsilon

HSC
But according to UTS's website at http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/bus/ug/c10026.html, in Year 1 we study:

Year 1

Autumn semester

22107 Accounting for Business 6cp
25115 Economics for Business 6cp
21129 Managing People and Organisations 6cp
24108 Marketing Foundations 6cp

Spring semester

26133 Business Information Analysis 6cp
79203 Business Law and Ethics 6cp

Select 12 credit points from the following options: 12cp

22207 Accounting Transactions and Business Decisions 6cp
25300 Fundamentals of Business Finance 6cp
21128 International Business 6cp
21193 Introduction to Corporate Strategy 6cp

Is that all the subjects I am gonna study for the first year? Because when I used the fees calculator to find the total fee, it amounts to $6493. This is because I'm a permanent resident and I'll have to pay my 1st year's HECS fees upfront, as I'm not entitled to the HECS-HELP loan. And btw, in that website, why didn't it show the 3rd Year subjects? Thanx heaps.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
In your first year, you will do 4 subjects per semester, which is 8 for the year, such as the list you pasted above. You have to choose 2 subjects from the list of 4 in Spring. The fee you calculated should be about right. Just remember that 79203 above is in Band 3 for HECS fees, while the rest are in Band 2.

The plan in the handbook won't show subjects for 2nd and 3rd year because thats when you do your major/s. It will be different depending on what you choose. Basically, if you look the the link you posted, there is a section on majors. If you do, say 2 majors, then you select 8 subjects from each major, a total of 16, to do over 2 years. You just choose when you want to do them (so you can be flexible), as long as you do them in an order that lets you meet prerequisites.

Hoppe that helps.

epsilon

HSC
Thanx jasee for the info. Just one last question, since I'ed have to pay my HECS fees full-upfront, when is the dateline for this? I've checked and the website said that it's on the 31st of March for the Autumn season, but I read someplace else that it's on the 23rd. Plus, I don't have to pay my fees during enrolment day right? Appreciate it!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
When you get your HECS invoice to pay your fees with, there is a deadline listed on there I think. Just wait until you get that.

As for enrolment fees, it says on the enrolment website that you will receive an invoice afterwards for those as well, so yes after your enrolment. The university fees are seperate to HECS, and they are around $200 per semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)