Sequences and Series Question (1 Viewer)

qldbulls

HSC
Sum of the first four terms of a geometric series is 468.
Sum of the next four terms (S8 - S4) is 292500 . Find first term and common ratio

Having trouble solving for r, thanks in advance

howcanibesmarter

HSC
r u talking abt it in regards to my solution? all i did was turn it into a quadratic im in y10 idk what’s the u rule lmao
i think he means the substitution when u let r^4=u? Cus that was the only u in ur working but that isnt a ruleπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

nsw..wollongong

HSC
my point was that only our ext class learned abt u subbing, the adv class doesn't use it.

howcanibesmarter

HSC
my point was that only our ext class learned abt u subbing, the adv class doesn't use it.
Isn't that for integration tho? The u-substituion. Advanced maths only uses reverse chain rule. As for factorising and solving quadratics, advanced students are expected to solve those types of questions (i.e. degree 4s like this case) since it's part of basic algebra

nsw..wollongong

HSC
no doubt that adv students should be able to solve basic algebra questions, I'm just speaking from personal exp that adv students opt for methods of solving these questions other than subbing for u (like it was done in the above question, 6 + r^4 = u). didn't think it was that big of a deal?

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
no doubt that adv students should be able to solve basic algebra questions, I'm just speaking from personal exp that adv students opt for methods of solving these questions other than subbing for u (like it was done in the above question, 6 + r^4 = u). didn't think it was that big of a deal?
so basically what ur saying is that you would've factorised that polynomial and solved from there? ( πŸ’€ )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)