Sequences Question (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So I'm doing some power solutions to DEs and I get expressions like this:

with

given.

And the solution at the 'back of the book' is:

And if we compare, we see that the two solutions match up (well, at least appear to do so after four terms)

My question is: How do I go from my power series above - to the neat summation at the bottom?

Is there a trick? Or is the solution provided just a quick way to summarise the series and I'm not actually required to do such a thing, because my expansion is equivalent anyway...

any and all help is appreciated

thanks in advance!

edit:

not sure if this is relevant, but the recurrence used to achieve the expansion is

for k = 0, 1, 2, ...

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
It is an easy recurrence to solve...

And I would recommend doing this (solving the recurrence) whenever possible in such questions.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
ohhhh... okay. i knew i was missing something.

my bad

Thanks seanieg!

note to self: don't do maffs late at night.

edit: then i realise i haven't done any work at all on recurrences of that nature

*sigh*

Yeah, so I looked through my lecture notes for Discrete Maths where we covered recurrences. We didn't learn what to do for non-constant coefficient recurrences. oh well

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
This is why mechanically learning things is not as important as being able to spot patterns. Just look at the product expression for A_2k when you unravel using the recurrence relation and express it in terms of factorials. This sort of thing is done in some hsc questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)