Series prerequisite for Proof by induction? (1 Viewer)

AKONS

HSC
Hi guys!

I'm very aware this sounds like a noob question but are series and sequences (such as arithmetic or geometric) required to be already learnt, for a student to be able to learn proof by induction?

cossine

HSC
Not really.

As such you should study series before induction.

Qeru

HSC
Nope no need for AP and GP, but you definitely need to understand what a 'sequence,' and what a 'series' is. It may also be wise to understand how the number of terms of a series and the last term of a series can both depend on a variable. For example the series: has n terms, whilsts the last term is so if we had 3 terms the last term would be 9 if we had 4 terms the last term would be 16 etc. You should also touch up on recursive series.

Time&moretime

HSC
Yes it is highly encouraged for students to be able to recognise patterns of numbers as taught in sequences and series as a means of being able to tackle proof by induction more easily. The range of methods of induction in the extension 2 course are wide, however to my knowledge I know that some of these methods require the ability to recognise number patterns quickly that come under the arithmetic and geometric category. These are taught in sequences and series. Hope this helps.

A1La5

HSC
It definitely can be a helpful prerequisite for mathematical induction but it's not completely necessary to understand series if you want to do induction. My school, for instance, covered induction first without going over series and sequences. I can do most induction problems to a decent standard despite me not having learned series yet.

vishnay

God
HSC
Just google the definition of 'series' and 'sequences' and you're good.

YonOra

HSC
It's the first chapter in every book in history for a reason...

vishnay

God
HSC
Either way, difficulty isn't even a factor that contributes to series and sequences not being a pre-requisite for induction. You simply need to understand what a series is to do the series induction part of induction. 95% of induction questions (3U and 4U) can be attempted with a half-assed knowledge of 2U series and sequences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)