Serious advice needed :) (1 Viewer)

HSC
So I've enrolled in B Arts at USYD as that was the first offer made to me but now in the late rounds I've been offered a place in B International Studies/Media and Communications and UNSW.

I have no idea which one to accept. I want to do media but I also really want to go to USYD. I'm 100% sure that I'm not going to get an offer for any more courses in the final rounds seeing as they're all full so I'm really confused.

What should I do?

ZachyBC

HSC
Uni Grad
Go to usyd. This isn't a superiority thing, but you should always prioritise your preference of uni to your preference of course. University is as much about meeting like-minded people, many of whom you'll end up working with and broadening your horizons as it is about getting a degree. Moreso even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lina3

HSC
I am so sorry, I really wish I could help but I am in the same boat :( Got Music/Arts at UNSW but am now offered Social Work/Arts at Usyd, both of these are something I want to do. However, I'd say if media is what you really like, choose what you want to do based on the course not the university. Besides, both UNSW and Usyd are top notch unis.

Edit: Haha awkward how its the exact opposite to what the previous poster just said.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Go to usyd. This isn't a superiority thing, but you should always prioritise your preference of uni to your preference of course. University is as much about meeting like-minded people, many of whom you'll end up working with and broadening your horizons as it is about getting a degree. Moreso even.

hahaha funny joke

you're kidding, right?

Because anyone who foregoes the course they really want to do, just for the sake of scenery (and provided it's not like UWS or something), is someone who fails to understand what university is actually about, or someone who probably needs to get assessed on whether they're intellectually capable for university. Really.

That advice is up there with: "Don't put the course you really want to do as your first uni preference, put something you'll probably get in as your first preference".

ZachyBC

HSC
Uni Grad
hahaha funny joke

you're kidding, right?

Because anyone who foregoes the course they really want to do, just for the sake of scenery (and provided it's not like UWS or something), is someone who fails to understand what university is actually about, or someone who probably needs to get assessed on whether they're intellectually capable for university. Really.
When you are deciding between B. Arts and B. Media/International Studies then yeah. Of course you should choose based on university. I wouldn't suggest someone do a science degree at USYD rather than the B. Laws they wanted to do somewhere else. When the degrees are very similar, university choice should play a massive role

Lina3

HSC
When you are deciding between B. Arts and B. Media/International Studies then yeah. Of course you should choose based on university. I wouldn't suggest someone do a science degree at USYD rather than the B. Laws they wanted to do somewhere else. When the degrees are very similar, university choice should play a massive role

But wouldn't there be a benifit in doing a sprecialized degree? I would suggest for the OP to look into the differences in units of study.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

But they're not similar. You can't major in media in the USyd standard Arts degree: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/future_students/courses/undergraduate/arts.shtml , from my understanding.

ZachyBC

HSC
Uni Grad
But wouldn't there be a benifit in doing a sprecialized degree? I would suggest for the OP to look into the differences in units of study.
But they're not similar. You can't major in media in the USyd standard Arts degree: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/future_students/courses/undergraduate/arts.shtml , from my understanding.
Do your first year pre-reqs, get a head start on International Relations (you can do all your junior units in first sem: GOVT1105 and GOVT1201 and then start second year subjects sem 2 of first year), do well and then transferring across to BA/BMC requires a credit average.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I am so sorry, I really wish I could help but I am in the same boat :( Got Music/Arts at UNSW but am now offered Social Work/Arts at Usyd, both of these are something I want to do. However, I'd say if media is what you really like, choose what you want to do based on the course not the university. Besides, both UNSW and Usyd are top notch unis.

Edit: Haha awkward how its the exact opposite to what the previous poster just said.
Is it true that for a con audition of admission, you must pay money?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do your first year pre-reqs, get a head start on International Relations (you can do all your junior units in first sem: GOVT1105 and GOVT1201 and then start second year subjects sem 2 of first year), do well and then transferring across to BA/BMC requires a credit average.

True, you can do that - but that's no guarantee.

So the trade-off that the OP must face is:

1. Stay at USyd and do well enough to get a transfer into Arts (Media & Comm.), or
2. Take an offer for UNSW Media & Comm and be there straight from the get-go

You never know how well exactly a person is going to go in uni due to the new learning style, so for me - as a risk-averse person - I'd take the guarantee, rather than take something that's not 100% guaranteed.

ZachyBC

HSC
Uni Grad
True, you can do that - but that's no guarantee.

So the trade-off that the OP must face is:

1. Stay at USyd and do well enough to get a transfer into Arts (Media & Comm.), or
2. Take an offer for UNSW Media & Comm and be there straight from the get-go

You never know how well exactly a person is going to go in uni due to the new learning style, so for me - as a risk-averse person - I'd take the guarantee, rather than take something that's not 100% guaranteed.
Yes. That's a good breakdown. But I'd also point out that getting a credit average is not difficult with a bit of effort. Especially in a BA

HSC
Is transferring into Media and Communications at USYD hard? I know it's pretty difficult for law because it's competitive and you need really good marks but is that the same for the media course?

Also the subjects I've chosen for Arts are Govt and International Relations, History, English and Sociology.

I'm just confused because I know there's this thing stopping me because I've always wanted to go to USYD but the UNSW course is right there in front of me even though I could potentially get into Media and Communications at USYD in the second year...idk whether to risk it.

ifrit112

HSC
hahaha funny joke

you're kidding, right?

That advice is up there with: "Don't put the course you really want to do as your first uni preference, put something you'll probably get in as your first preference".
Agree to some extent that your choice of uni matters in some cases (ie: Engineering / Sciences for UNSW) but ultimately that should not be the reason you choose one over the other.
For arts they are quite similar, and there isn't one that is much better than the other. Do consider the subjects in your degree as someone helpfully advised as this may show you some variance. That way, you can see which one suits you better.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes. That's a good breakdown. But I'd also point out that getting a credit average is not difficult with a bit of effort. Especially in a BA

Easy for us, maybe. I'm sitting on an HD average for my Arts subjects, but I know others who are scraping passes only - and they try too.

So... to the OP, if you can back yourself and think you have a shot at a credit average, then go for it. Moreover, I'm sure this is the same at USyd as it is at UNSW, just because the minimum requirement might be a credit average, doesn't mean that anyone with a credit average who applies will get in - you need to be competitive as well, so you need to maximise your marks.

Lina3

HSC
Is it true that for a con audition of admission, you must pay money?
Yeah its $50, I didn't bother auditioning for it for various reasons (not really the money though)

Agree to some extent that your choice of uni matters in some cases (ie: Engineering / Sciences for UNSW) but ultimately that should not be the reason you choose one over the other.
For arts they are quite similar, and there isn't one that is much better than the other. Do consider the subjects in your degree as someone helpfully advised as this may show you some variance. That way, you can see which one suits you better.
Well...Usyd is 20th in the world in Arts and Humanities (according to QS) while UNSW is 59th. Yes, they're both good but Usyd has the upper hand in this case....hence why its was higher in my preferences for a Social Work/Arts degree (also, less time taken for degree and easier to travel to). However that being said, the course I got in the main round I chose because of the course structure NOT the university.

OP: your dilemma is entirely understandable. Is Media and Communications something that you have a huge intreset and a passion in? If so, with a hard work and determination you should be able to do well in the Arts and transfer. However only you can give a truly accurate assesment of what you feel you are capable of. Like Shadowdude, I'm somewhat risk-averse and if I were you, I'd sacrifice the nice views, prestige and even the world rankings for a course that I really, really wanted to do. Besides, going from Usyd to UNSW is hardly a 'dowgrade' in fact, many would argue the reverse.

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
What uni you go to matters.. but not so much for you to base your choice purely on that like someone said above. Just look at the units offered by both course and see which one you enjoy the most and are more interested in.
Looking at career prospects is also really useful.

HSC
ok well i have a question?

for those of you who are at USYD now, do you like it?
I read heaps of posts on BOS like last year comparing both uni's and I felt like USYD was better.....

not that the uni is the only thing that matters of course (which I'm trying to make myself understand)

HSC
alright well I have till 21st feb to decide so i will do some serious thinking!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)