Serious Advice Only: Passing P Exam (1 Viewer)

cuppy

HSC
N/A
So do you indicate left to leave for all roundabouts or just the double laned ones? And does this mean you also have to remember to look over your left shoulder and check your blind spot when exiting a double laned roundabout (is this just if you are on the inside lane, or does it also apply if you are on the outside lane?)

And when doing a 3 point turn, after you reverse away from the kerb, I know you check your mirrors and both sides of the road to make sure there are no cars, but do you have to indicate or can you continue and just drive off?

Rabbitoh

HSC
- Be really obvious with your head checks and checking of mirrors.

- Look like you're aware of everything around you and react accordingly to hazards (slow down)

- Indicate left out of every roundabout

JB10

HSC
So do you indicate left to leave for all roundabouts or just the double laned ones? And does this mean you also have to remember to look over your left shoulder and check your blind spot when exiting a double laned roundabout (is this just if you are on the inside lane, or does it also apply if you are on the outside lane?)

And when doing a 3 point turn, after you reverse away from the kerb, I know you check your mirrors and both sides of the road to make sure there are no cars, but do you have to indicate or can you continue and just drive off?
Roundabouts:
Indicate left when you're exiting. You only have to look over your shoulder if it's a double laned one and you're on the inside lane.

3 Point Turn:
I'm pretty certain you don't need to indicate.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
So it says in the guide to the driving test that 'Before turning left you must check for bicycles and other vehicles that could be in your blind spots' and 'Before turning into a street or driveway you must have a head check for vehicles that may be overtaking you' and there are some diagrams...so is that essentially saying that you must turn your head each and every single time you turn?!

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
So it says in the guide to the driving test that 'Before turning left you must check for bicycles and other vehicles that could be in your blind spots' and 'Before turning into a street or driveway you must have a head check for vehicles that may be overtaking you' and there are some diagrams...so is that essentially saying that you must turn your head each and every single time you turn?!
yep. start practising as a learner and it'll become second nature in no time.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
cuppy said:
Nah brah u just check 4 pp in yr blind spots when u want

cuz checking 4 cyclists and other vehicles is dumb cuz they'll never be there

fuck off and wake up. you ought to be kept off a road for as long as possible if you ask questions like that.

toadcat

HSC
Don't forget if you go over any double unbroken lines for ANY reason you will fail.
If you are overtaking something that's sticking out, indicate to do so. If you're turning, make sure you don't go over a line as you will fail.

Eddykungfu

HSC
Hey, I got my P's 2nd time.. First time I got failed for not giving 3 second gap when entering traffic...

Here are some Tips I can give.

1. Unless there is a hazard, etc DO not go more than 5km/h under the speed limit. In both my P'S tests, I lost 2 points for going 7-8 Under in a highway....

2. If you see anyone on the curb side with a reverse light on, Brake light, indicator, slowdown (even if it looks like your going to hold up traffic), because this counts as a type of hazard, and if you don't slow down, you will get a circle (loss of one point).

3. Be watchful of the RTA Carparks >>> Stop Signs at the exits, and 10km/h speed limit).

4. With stop signs, testing officers actually want to feel the car come to a complete halt (perhaps a slight jerk). Even if there are cars behind you, come to a complete halt, and check for incoming traffic.

5. WATCH What time your test is. 8-9:30 = School zone. = 40 km/h LIMIT. or 2:30-4.

6. Speeed - If you don't know the speed limit in your area, DON"T assume its 50/60 until you see a sign. There are a few roads that look like 60, but are actually only 50. Remember, if you go under the limit, you loose a point. If you go 1km/h over, you automatically fail.

Thats the major pointers I have for now, good luck!

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
personally i wouldn't take advice from a failure

i got my p's, all those years ago, first try in a school zone in peak hour traffic on a 43C day

i'm an hero

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Hey, I got my P's 2nd time.. First time I got failed for not giving 3 second gap when entering traffic...

Here are some Tips I can give.

1. Unless there is a hazard, etc DO not go more than 5km/h under the speed limit. In both my P'S tests, I lost 2 points for going 7-8 Under in a highway....

2. If you see anyone on the curb side with a reverse light on, Brake light, indicator, slowdown (even if it looks like your going to hold up traffic), because this counts as a type of hazard, and if you don't slow down, you will get a circle (loss of one point).

3. Be watchful of the RTA Carparks >>> Stop Signs at the exits, and 10km/h speed limit).

4. With stop signs, testing officers actually want to feel the car come to a complete halt (perhaps a slight jerk). Even if there are cars behind you, come to a complete halt, and check for incoming traffic.

5. WATCH What time your test is. 8-9:30 = School zone. = 40 km/h LIMIT. or 2:30-4.

6. Speeed - If you don't know the speed limit in your area, DON"T assume its 50/60 until you see a sign. There are a few roads that look like 60, but are actually only 50. Remember, if you go under the limit, you loose a point. If you go 1km/h over, you automatically fail.

Thats the major pointers I have for now, good luck!
So wait, you're saying stop at STOP signs and don't speed?
Shit dawg, I wish I knew that!

Eddykungfu

HSC
So wait, you're saying stop at STOP signs and don't speed?
Shit dawg, I wish I knew that!
Most people I see on the roads, come very slow to a stop sign, but do not come to a complete halt...

if you don't completely stop you will fail.

astroe

HSC
I was just wondering, can anyone tell me how to reverse parallel park a sedan? LOL
I'm driving a station wagon now so its relatively easy, like the Getz I learned in.
I was told to make sure the back corner of the car you'll be behind should be visible - at the edge of the rear window, where it meets the boot/back door.

But sedans don't have a rear window. D:
By 'rear window' I mean the window you'd see if you turned your left over your shoulder, assuming you're a LHS back seat passenger.

Oh - they call it the "C Pillar", being in line with the back of the car you'll end up being behind.

Last edited:

Rabbitoh

HSC
Now I have my Ps I don't have any particular method. I just do what feels right and that usually results with me in the spot with no troubles at all. If I'm wrong, I just adjust myself until I'm in the spot properly.

sickk

HSC
depends on your car, give it a couple shots lining up where the back of the parked car should be in ur windows before you start hooking it in or whatever, some people i know put a little sticker on at that point so it all goes smooth in the driving test, remember u can reverse up to 7m (which is AT LEAST 2 car lengths!!) so you can reverse a hell of a long way, and u get 5 chances to get in the spot, so:
1. reverse
2. nose in a bit
3. reverse a bit more
4. nose to the curb a bit more
5. reverse to the right distance

should be in a PERFECT SPOT by then

OHHH and they never make u reverse park BETWEEN 2 cars, only ever behind one, so u can usea ll 7m, dont be afraid

AND if fuck it up its not instant fail, so who cares, you can be up to like 50cm from the curb too, so just relax and give it ur best shot, chances are u wont lose any marks, and if you do, it might only be one or 2 max

MzBiiBii

HSC
my friend stopped at a stop sign for 3 sec, and they failed her and said it was too short, so just incase, stop for a slow 3 sec = average 5 sec...so i did that.. and it was fine...just turn ur head a couple of times i guess

also if you're the first car at a traffic light, and it goes green, make sure you turn ur head left and right around you, so that they can see you're aware of any pedestrians that MIGHT be walking... my driver told me to do that, and the tester seemed please :)

anyway goodluck!:)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
everytime you turn left
everytime you switch lane
everytime you pull over
everytime you leave the kerb
everytime you merge lanes

what do ya do?

u check ur blind spot :)

ahh... watch ur speed! especially if ur test is during school zone times- make sure ur car clock is right

the big one that gets a lot of people- hand positioning on the steering wheel... make sure u hold the wheel at 10 o clock and 2 o clock :)

ahh... everytime u cross an intersection, including traffic lights, chek left n right 2 c if its safe. come to a TOTAL stop at stop sign

3 seconds following distance!

always indicate, even if ur not sure, just do it

the main thing, is to STAY CALM!!!!
if u get an asshole of an instructor like i had, he will probably try to make u nervous and make snide comments to crush ur confidence

dont listen 2 em

the dude who tested me... u shuda heard the disappointment in his voice when he said "congratulations, youve passed".... it was like he was announcing a death sentence or something.

but yeah... i think i passed with like 97% or something... i cant rele remember but i think i lost marks on a manouvre and when i pulled out of an intersection once??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)