• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

serious decision to make- drop a degree.. (2 Viewers)

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Huratio said:
Yeah. I agree with maka- sounds like you really don't want to do IT anymore- so it would be in the best interests of all parties for you to drop IT altogether.

Internal course transfer link as above:
http://www.sau.uts.edu.au/enrolment/continuing/internalcoursetransfers.html

There is no need to apply with UAC for the mid-year transfer from BBus/BScIT --> BBus.
I have considered the benefits of the double degree, so no dropping.:eek: that's right!

However, I would like to do three business and one It and reverse as I can give more attention to one field and in the next more attention to the other one...

I have seen the my mistakes in this semester , so from next semester I will study regularly. I am also planning to learn Unix and java during the break time.
I am back on track..

maka

HSC
I think that is a very poor way of dividing your degree.

You should follow the intended study program. It exists to help manage the study load in terms of hours at uni and the workload that needs to be completed. Doing 3:1 Business to IT (vice versa) is pretty silly in my opinion.

I will have to do something like that with Law and Business due to me transferring but I wouldnt advise what you re doing.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
samuraitor said:
I have considered the benefits of the double degree, so no dropping.:eek: that's right!

However, I would like to do three business and one It and reverse as I can give more attention to one field and in the next more attention to the other one...

I have seen the my mistakes in this semester , so from next semester I will study regularly. I am also planning to learn Unix and java during the break time.
I am back on track..
Yeah. I agree with maka again.

The reason why is that you will end up with doing subjects in a weird order- and you'll have a study plan like mine (which is extremely messy). Also there may be problems with pre-req subjects (subjects you have to do to undertake other subjects), and it will cause heaps of problems later on in your course.

I would recommend not doing 3:1 unless you really have to (like if subjects are only taught in one semester*- which is pretty typical for IT elective subjects).

Last edited:

maka

HSC
Learn from our mistakes.

I am trying my best to rectify the changes ASAP but I am always a subject or so different.

It makes it not harder but very awkward and sometimes with pre reqs it hurts not being able to do a subject because you missed another.

maka

HSC
Just one more comment on this issue.

You have performed a complete 360 in the process of a week. You have wanted this thread closed three times and then changed your mind.

If I were you I would figure out exactly what you want to do. You have till the end of July really to decide.

Think about what you want to do... where do you want to work?

I just dont think you have thought this through too well. Feel free to call me a dickhead.... just as long as you take our advice and do what is best for you.

Dont make any spur of the moment decisions because they can affect you.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
maka said:
Just one more comment on this issue.

You have performed a complete 360 in the process of a week. You have wanted this thread closed three times and then changed your mind.

If I were you I would figure out exactly what you want to do. You have till the end of July really to decide.

Think about what you want to do... where do you want to work?

I just dont think you have thought this through too well. Feel free to call me a dickhead.... just as long as you take our advice and do what is best for you.

Dont make any spur of the moment decisions because they can affect you.
Well , I was in the same boat at secondary school when I was doing natural science and specializing in computer science and maths... But somehow I just went with the flow and eventually graduated with 87%.... despite failing in half of my subjects in the first semester(took them again and got HD) . Sorta calm before the storm:uhoh:...

But I have made my final decision and will stick by it , just like I did at secondary school and actually I love this double degree , since I did not do well in the first semester I was impulsive enough to do the big mistake...

Huratio & Maka, really appreciate your help in guiding me with your experience, really mean that coz as an international student I dont know many peeps with experience to help me in uni related stuff and questions.

One last question, is there any good workshop in Sydney that teaches object oriented programming in Java? After my finals, I will be putting some time for java and Unix for Websystems.:read:

Once again, thank you guys for helping me out, oh yeah,Maka I believe we could shut this thread you guys have answered the question above:wave:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
samuraitor said:
Huratio & Maka, really appreciate your help in guiding me with your experience, really mean that coz as an international student I dont know many peeps with experience to help me in uni related stuff and questions.

One last question, is there any good workshop in Sydney that teaches object oriented programming in Java? After my finals, I will be putting some time for java and Unix for Websystems.:read:

Once again, thank you guys for helping me out, oh yeah,Maka I believe we could shut this thread you guys have answered the question above:wave:
So your doing Programming Fundamentals and Web Systems next semester?
I would say you wouldn't really need to do some fundamental subjects/workshops before these subjects because both of them assume you know nothing about unix and java. They will start from the basic building blocks and work towards the harder stuff.

Btw, I don't tend to close threads (unless there is a reason to); as another student may have a similar question and can post here instead of creating a new thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)