serious question (1 Viewer)

Roors

HSC
hey!!
just wondering if someone (*cough* HUY)
could give me a simple explaination of these things, i find hard to grasp.
First thing is (ALL IN TPS)
different types of files in a tps. -do we have to no them? (not in syllabus) but like....how do they relate bla bla
next is could someone explain to be updating in batch and the process of doing that
and updating in real time.

Thanks heaps

Huss

HSC
N/A
the steps in real-time updating involves sending the transaction data to the master file.
there are 2 steps in updating a batch:
1.the first stage is collecting and storage of the transaction data in a transaction file.
2.processing of data by updating the master file. this includes data additions updates abd deletions that need to happen in a certain order.

hope this helps :)...im no huy so..

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I only remember the following:

Master file - used to hold the operational database.
Transaction file - holds previous transactions and can be used for audit trails.
Report file - a formatted report used to present to users.
Work file - a temporary file used in processing.
Program file - set of instructions for data manipulation (e.g. C++ or Visual Basic).

I'm hoping you don't have to learn more than that.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Roors
hey!!
just wondering if someone (*cough* HUY)
could give me a simple explaination of these things, i find hard to grasp.
First thing is (ALL IN TPS)
different types of files in a tps. -do we have to no them? (not in syllabus) but like....how do they relate bla bla
(Better late than never, you can always email/PM me or IM me Roors, but I guess I was studying for the HSC :D).
The different types of files - you will have to have a general understanding of each, but not a thorough understanding. It wasn't in the HSC paper (2003), but I would have suggested you learn the basic ones, such as transaction and master files in a TPS. If you know the links between the files, that's a bonus. You would only have to touch on transaction and master files, rather than the other types (report, work, program).
next is could someone explain to be updating in batch and the process of doing that
and updating in real time.
Originally posted by Huss
the steps in real-time updating involves sending the transaction data to the master file.
there are 2 steps in updating a batch:
1.the first stage is collecting and storage of the transaction data in a transaction file.
2.processing of data by updating the master file. this includes data additions updates abd deletions that need to happen in a certain order.

hope this helps :)...im no huy so..
Forgot to talk about updating in real-time transaction processing systems, but essentially yes, what Huss said is true about batch transaction processing systems.

Updating in real-time transaction processing systems
* Data is sent (as transaction data) to the online DB (contained in a masterfile, as Huss said for batch TPS).
* The processing is undertaken and any error correction or confirmations are then completed in sequence, updating the master file (working off transactional data).

...............KEYBOARD/INPUT DEVICE (PC)
...............................|
...............................|
...................ONLINE DATABASE
............................./...............\
....DAILY TRANSACTIONS........\... TRANSACT. DATA
.........................../...................\
....TRANSACT. FILE.................MASTER FILE

Updating in batch transaction processing systems
* Collection of transaction data as a group/batch
* Storage on magnetic tape or paper (forms), where it is sorted and ordered by time of arrival (usually, based on prioritisation)
* Updating the master file, processing undertaken.
Originally posted by honky tonk
I only remember the following:

Master file - used to hold the operational database.
Transaction file - holds previous transactions and can be used for audit trails.
Report file - a formatted report used to present to users.
Work file - a temporary file used in processing.
Program file - set of instructions for data manipulation (e.g. C++ or Visual Basic).

I'm hoping you don't have to learn more than that.
Correct :)

Simple definitions, used and 'thrown around' in the exam will show the examiner that you know the definitions and what each term (types of files) mean.

rx72c

Well for TPS
its huge
Were do i start
Well there are 2 types of TPS
Real and Batch

Real Time transaction Processing system
*All transactions are processed individually and immediately
*A confirmation is immediately generated
Examples
*EFTPOS
*Ticket Reservation

Batch Transaction Processing System
*All transactions are grouped together over a period of time and then processed all together in a batch when appropiate
*This type of transaction can take some time and confirmation usually takes time.
Examples
*Cheque Clearencing
*Batch Credit Card

With TPS always make sure you know examples of a TPS for both real and batch and know all the data/information, participants, information technology, purpose of the system and all the information processes.

Im really tired now so ill continue my explanation of a TPS tomorrow when ive got some more energy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)