Session 3 (Summer School) (1 Viewer)

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
Haha yes I've heard about his tactics lol.... I have no problem contributing in tutorial discussions as long as I know what is going on! We'll see how that goes...

Btw, it looks like I might be doing Juris and Business Orgs in the same semester next year.... is this a death sentence in your opinion guys?

Re: Family Law and Advanced Torts, I might actually give them ago... I have been considering them quite a bit these last few days

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont think its a death sentence to do juris and bus orgs at once - its obviously going to be more challenging than taking juris with a less demanding core subject like law, lawyers and society but i think it can be done without too much stress. like atlas says its better to get these units out of your way sooner rather than later. i never studied advanced torts but i've done family law in sem2. it can get dry sometimes (e.g. stuff on spousal maintenance) but there are lots of interesting stuff like de facto relationship, shared parenting practice, divorce etc. francesca convened the unit this year and she integrated theories (e.g. feminism, father's rights movement) into the black letter law which made the unit interesting. she makes really detailed lecture notes so its also a plus :)

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
i dont think its a death sentence to do juris and bus orgs at once - its obviously going to be more challenging than taking juris with a less demanding core subject like law, lawyers and society but i think it can be done without too much stress. like atlas says its better to get these units out of your way sooner rather than later. i never studied advanced torts but i've done family law in sem2. it can get dry sometimes (e.g. stuff on spousal maintenance) but there are lots of interesting stuff like de facto relationship, shared parenting practice, divorce etc. francesca convened the unit this year and she integrated theories (e.g. feminism, father's rights movement) into the black letter law which made the unit interesting. she makes really detailed lecture notes so its also a plus :)
I'm going to try and see if I can get the pre-req's waived so I can do another elective this summer in addition to Equity, maybe Foundations of Commercial Law... If they let me then that will reduce my load for that semester (semester 2) that has Juris and Business Orgs down to 3 units instead of 4 (Business Orgs, Juris, Property instead of Business Orgs, Juris, Property and Foundations of Commercial). Hopefully that will make it easier to take in since I'll have more time.

I think Penelope is taking over Family Law now, I wonder how she'll run it... How did you find International Law with Rafiq?

Last edited:

Atlas

HSC
N/A
this. lol. he picks on some students more than others, and he moves some students that he thinks aren't contributing to the front row and picks on them all the time. it just puts students on more pressure than they need to.
Oh, and don't think being at the back of the room helps either he likes to call them the "bar flies".... and he has a brilliant memory with names :O

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I'm going to try and see if I can get the pre-req's waived so I can do another elective this summer in addition to Equity, maybe Foundations of Commercial Law... If they let me then that will reduce my load for that semester (semester 2) that has Juris and Business Orgs down to 3 units instead of 4 (Business Orgs, Juris, Property instead of Business Orgs, Juris, Property and Foundations of Commercial). Hopefully that will make it easier to take in since I'll have more time.

I think Penelope is taking over Family Law now, I wonder how she'll run it... How did you find International Law with Rafiq?
Only warning is that the 3 units you picked all have very heavy reading (heavy not in terms of quantity but in that it can be quite difficult) - equity can be quite complex and convoluted, jurisprudence - lol, you can re-read the same sentence over and over and still not understand what the author is trying to say (I wonder whether they still give you the black swan example in class nowadays...) and bus orgs - of the three, this will have the clearest reading, it's just a lot of content and different sections of the legislation that have to be read together.

Foundations is probably the easiest of the 4 named subjects.

Re international...beware.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
Only warning is that the 3 units you picked all have very heavy reading (heavy not in terms of quantity but in that it can be quite difficult) - equity can be quite complex and convoluted, jurisprudence - lol, you can re-read the same sentence over and over and still not understand what the author is trying to say (I wonder whether they still give you the black swan example in class nowadays...) and bus orgs - of the three, this will have the clearest reading, it's just a lot of content and different sections of the legislation that have to be read together.

Foundations is probably the easiest of the 4 named subjects.

Re international...beware.
Regarding international... beware? This is the second warning I've received but nobody has explained why... what is it that I must be aware of!?

Well I tried to get into foundations but its full... so I'm stuck with the four: Juris, Business, Constitutional Law and Admin 1 and I'll do foundations in that semester instead.

If the reading sin jurisprudence are anything like the ridiculous readings we had to do for foundations of law, I'm going to hate my life - again.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Regarding international... beware? This is the second warning I've received but nobody has explained why... what is it that I must be aware of!?

Well I tried to get into foundations but its full... so I'm stuck with the four: Juris, Business, Constitutional Law and Admin 1 and I'll do foundations in that semester instead.

If the reading sin jurisprudence are anything like the ridiculous readings we had to do for foundations of law, I'm going to hate my life - again.
Let's put it this way, to explain would lead to a potential defamation case. More importantly, the unit is compulsory, so you don't get a choice, one way or the other :)

Foundations with Shayne is great, the cases are pretty interesting and of the four subjects, you'll probably enjoy foundations the most. Constitutional Law isn't bad, Kelly provides excellent lecture notes. You may want to "shop around" for a tutor that can explain the constitutional powers to you though. If the assessment schedule is the same, it should just be essays which allow you to focus on a particular area.

I found the readings for Jurisprudence hard, many were written a long time ago so the authors write in this poetic and beautiful way where words are plentiful but trying to get the meaning is like interpreting abstract art. But the subject is actually quite interesting, and you will probably appreciate it a lot more afterwards.

ameher

HSC
Let's put it this way, to explain would lead to a potential defamation case. More importantly, the unit is compulsory, so you don't get a choice, one way or the other :)

Foundations with Shayne is great, the cases are pretty interesting and of the four subjects, you'll probably enjoy foundations the most. Constitutional Law isn't bad, Kelly provides excellent lecture notes. You may want to "shop around" for a tutor that can explain the constitutional powers to you though. If the assessment schedule is the same, it should just be essays which allow you to focus on a particular area.

I found the readings for Jurisprudence hard, many were written a long time ago so the authors write in this poetic and beautiful way where words are plentiful but trying to get the meaning is like interpreting abstract art. But the subject is actually quite interesting, and you will probably appreciate it a lot more afterwards.
Very True.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A

Thanks for the info Atlas :)

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Let's put it this way, to explain would lead to a potential defamation case.
im so curious about this now! from my memory rafiq was decent - assignments weren't too difficult and they weren't marked harshly. the only things i got annoyed were he didn't put lecture overheads available on blackboard and reading list sometimes included articles that couldn't be accessed through the library (and so students had to go to his office individually, since he thought its not his job to put materials on the blackboard).

Atlas

HSC
N/A
im so curious about this now! from my memory rafiq was decent - assignments weren't too difficult and they weren't marked harshly. the only things i got annoyed were he didn't put lecture overheads available on blackboard and reading list sometimes included articles that couldn't be accessed through the library (and so students had to go to his office individually, since he thought its not his job to put materials on the blackboard).
WOW... you really don't demand very much from your lecturer/tutor.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
PHP:
haha maybe what ticks many people off are different from what ticks me off. im happy as long as lecturers aren't harsh markers and they don't grill students in tutorials :haha: btw thanks so much for the electives guide Atlas! i was very curious to know what Access to Justice and War Law are like.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
haha to be fair, I think those things would piss me off too. I mean, putting up your slides on blackboard is pretty damn standard! It's the least you can do.

I'd love a copy of that Electives Guide also Atlas if you don't mind...

Edit: Thanks Atlas.. just saw your post in the other thread.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
No worries, I was surprised that I still had a copy of the guide :)

I agree with andyfg88 - uploading slides is pretty standard and using that as a means to blackmail students into going to the physical lecture is just plainly foolish considering the number of students that juggle their studies with work. Punishing students that do the iLectures but can't physically attend lectures is pretty harsh.

misericordia - I see what you mean, I'll generally be okay with lecturers who design "cruisey" units - but I didn't think that the lecture materials that he covered was useful or relevant, hence I wouldn't want to pick another unit with him again. Who's teaching remedies in 2012?

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
francesca is teaching remedies next year. i had her for family law - not the best lecturer but she provides really detailed lecture notes so hopefully it wont be too difficult (fingers crossed).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)