• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Session length (1 Viewer)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
What exactly are these? I tried searching the uni site as well as google with no real result. Are they like periods or something longer? If so how long. Thanks. E.g. 6 full time sessions a week, is a usual description.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Yeah, a session is a semester to me.

I guess for the use you're referring to above, they are speaking of face to face contact 'sessions, a total of all lectures/tutorials/labs for a course per week. 6 is an awfull lot for one subject though?

Normal full time load is 40 hours per week. 4 subjects per semester, 10 hours of work per subject/week, including contact and non-contact study.

X

xeuyrawp

Makro said:
What exactly are these? I tried searching the uni site as well as google with no real result. Are they like periods or something longer? If so how long. Thanks. E.g. 6 full time sessions a week, is a usual description.
That's bizarre. Usually a "session" means a semester, or its equivalent (eg a trimester).

Here it's obviously referring to periods in a day or something. Which uni is it? Pretty much every uni will have a key terms glossary or something along those lines.

HSC
in terms of 'periods' (as in classes at school), the actual times for classes at uni's depends on the subject and the uni. For example, most first year arts subjects have a two one hour lectures (at least at Melbourne Uni) and one one hour tutorial a week. Whereas science has 3 one hour lectures, one 1 hour tutorial each week and a 3 hour prac every second week, or for only half the weeks in a semester.
Other subjects have two 2 hour classes a week (some languages etc), other have a 1.5hour lecture and a 1 hour tutorial etc etc.

If this is what you were referring to, then the number (and length) of 'sessions' per week varies for every subject and at every uni.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Thanks for the help. IT wasn't supposed to be per week as I remembered correctly. It was going on about the course length. All the different uni sites confuse the shit out of me. It said 6 sessions for a 3 year course. Which means they're referring to semesters.

Thanks again.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Session length

Makro said:
UNSW

Session 1 = Semester 1 = 12 weeks not including exams
Session 2 = Semester 2 = 12 weeks not including exams
I don't know much about summer session.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)