Sexism in Big Brother (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Big reality issues
30 June 2005​

Big Brother's Geneva discusses the issues of sexism on the show and the public backlash towards this year's series.

____

After talking to most of the women I regularly talk to on this issue, they really seem non-plused over the media's beat-up of this issue. So, I was wondering if anyone here is particularly against the representation of women in BB05?

I feel that this is just one of the many Lorenzal outcomes of untapped, unfostered reality television. If you put people in an environment and tell them that this will be their noir reality for the next three months, they're not going to act morally; they'll be themselves.

As such, I feel this is just one of the many realities people are just going to have to deal with: a lot of men are like this. Whilst I'll not go to the extent of saying that all men rub their genitals up against their acquaintances, I believe the behaviour of the recently evicted Glenn is not only excusable but commonplace.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
The behaviour isn't excusable, but it is commonplace. You get a bunch of 20-something vacuous extroverts together and of course they're going to play up. And when you edit all that together into 30 minutes it's going to seem like they're all immoral and decadent. It's just been a big wake-up call to older people for how out of touch they are, thinking that stuff like this doesn't go on. Doesn't make it acceptable or something that should be encouraged, but really, who cares?

malkin86

HSC
I think reality TV belittles everyone involved.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Jesus christ its entertainment, not real life

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
It is 'real life' though....thats 'thats life'

Glenn was an asshole, as are MANY guys...but as he said, he was just being honest

rah rah rah rant rant rant

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The problem comes when those thus entertained come to believe the aforementioned unacceptable behaviour is in fact acceptable. Which would logically precipitate the downfall of civilisation.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i agree with monkey butler.. they are all VERY outgoing and attractive people. They're still young and some are probably still experimenting with sex and the opposite sex.. It's not as though they would go into the house, where they are expected to be themselves and act as though they were all brought up as "stuck ups" i suppose is what people would call them. The things they are doing in the house are things that are happening in the "real world" with all the youngsters. I think the older generations are just shocked by how much things have changed and how people are acting these days with their explicit language and how they express the need for their sexual needs to be met. It's not uncommon for this to be seen in society, people are just kicking up a stink because it's on tv and the audience are seeing what is going on.
if that makes any sense at all...

well thats my opinion anyway

Samie_Loo

quacktacular
HSC
its a fair point to say...perhaps channel 10 foresaw such controversy... = high ratings... australian big brother is very tame... and no such stereotypical images have been presented... it is the editing which belittles the housemates... channel 10 tries to fit the most interesting parts of 24 hrs into 30 mins... of course morality would be excluded to make room for 'attention grabbing' acts... lets face it... if we complain so much about the immoral levels television has sunken to... why do the 'moral' shows rate so slow...

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I was just wondering today why Geneva hasn't been seen as a slag. She's come between Hotdogs and Geneva, Michelle and Glenn and she gave bisexual Rachael the run around - not to mention her slutty ways with the girls on the dancefloor.

Not that I'm a moralist - people should be alowed to what/who/where they want, but is it a sign of the times that a man is being seen as a slag over a woman?

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
srsly,

big brother is the most overrated crappiest shiettest reality TV show ever created. Bloody hell, how sad is it to go watch someone elses life on TV. Tsk Tsk, its just some stupid propaganda to attract youths in being 'cool' or something.

Oh wow, I watch big brother, i am kool now and can relate to those cool people...
What a stupid filming industry!! Come on, its making people become seperated. like i dont watch this pathetic show, so i cant relate to heaps of others watching this crap.

Bloody hell, filmers / directors of series/shows should really consider the social side. The makers of the OC included, big bruther, sopranos...etc, law n order, blah blah. really all the material they have made is completely boring. ppl prolly just watch it to relate with their frnz

done!

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Vangineer said:
srsly,

big brother is the most overrated crappiest shiettest reality TV show ever created. Bloody hell, how sad is it to go watch someone elses life on TV. Tsk Tsk, its just some stupid propaganda to attract youths in being 'cool' or something.

Oh wow, I watch big brother, i am kool now and can relate to those cool people...
What a stupid filming industry!! Come on, its making people become seperated. like i dont watch this pathetic show, so i cant relate to heaps of others watching this crap.

Bloody hell, filmers / directors of series/shows should really consider the social side. The makers of the OC included, big bruther, sopranos...etc, law n order, blah blah. really all the material they have made is completely boring. ppl prolly just watch it to relate with their frnz

done!

tell me about your life child

Mumma

HSC
And how many different law and orders are there anyway, like fucking 20 different subtitles.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Minai said:
Jesus christ its entertainment, not real life
I wonder why they're called "reality" shows then.

My opinion is that they're being themselves and noone in the house is offended, so leave it be.

so called 'reality tv' is an insult to people's intelligence - what really annoys me is that tv stations play on their audience's gullibility by milking the shows as much as they can - australian idol, inside idol, australian idol verdict, australian idol extra; big brother, big brother up late, big brother uncut, big brother live verdict, its absolutely ridiculous!

0Jade0

HSC
And you know the button you pressed to turn the TV on? It also works as an off button....

RingerINC

BBoy OG Loc Gangsta
HSC
addymac said:
The problem comes when those thus entertained come to believe the aforementioned unacceptable behaviour is in fact acceptable. Which would logically precipitate the downfall of civilisation.
meh... you gotta die of something.

0Jade0 said:
And you know the button you pressed to turn the TV on? It also works as an off button....
ooh catty!! settle down lol - just because people dont watch it doesnt mean its not garbage anyway

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)