• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

SH: The Speckled Band (themes) (1 Viewer)

epicFAILx

HSC
So I am new to reading Sherlock Holmes short-stories but I reckon the themes in his short story are..

- Death
- Greed
- Speckled Band
- Sherlock Holmes
- Good vs Evil (though i wouldnt know how to tabulate that!)

is there anything else I have missed?

much appreciated!

EDIT: I am sure I am not the only one who has read Sherlock Holmes before....

GirlGotSwag

HSC
Hey, you're not doing SH for english are you???? lol, I've LOVED SH since i was about 11 or something :D themes...definately like you said good vs. evil, byronic heroism? - sherlock's amazing, but he's got flaws like the drugs and stuff, at the beginning Conan Doyle wasn't very spiritualistic, that sorta comes through with a science/mind/logic over nature/feelings?? , friendship/loyalty. Hope this helps :D , lol though im not sure if they're all themes

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
If they made it into the tv series... then i'd be able to help you :p

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I think the complete Sherlock Collection by Doyle are probably my favourite books and I've read them numerous times ever since year 6. Now, in regards to the Speckled Band, the plot is quite simple and please correct me if I'm wrong. Helen Stoner discovers her sister being killed but strangely, her accounts are of hearing a strange noise inside the house and Sherlock is called to discover who the perpetrator is. Now, the most simple theme is already mentioned which is good vs evil but I believe it is a little too broad.

However, the short story also has elements (themes) of social status and insanity because the father is proved to be a person who will by any means, stop her daughters from getting married in the hope of not losing any money and his large house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)