Share your 2013 HSC results here (2 Viewers)

Lina3

HSC
He meant languages with small, abnormally strong cohorts.
Really? My careers adviser gave us one example where in one year, 8 people did Swedish or something and since the lowest mark was 94, they scaled it DOWN. Don't they need to create a bell curve (ie they can't just have everyone at the top, but need some at the bottom and most in the middle)? Gosh, the more I try to understand this system the more confused I get.

Last edited:
HSC
Really? My careers adviser gave us one example where in one year, 8 people did Swedish or something and since the lowest mark was 94, they scaled it DOWN. Don't they need to create a bell curve (ie they can't just have everyone at the top, but need some at the bottom and most in the middle)? Gosh, the more I try to understand this system the more confused I get.
You're mixing up alignment and scaling again.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I got the same speech but with Dutch! I think he meant the languages like Classical Greek extension which seem like something no one would ever do and then they go ahead and outscale 4U maths, I just pointing out that there are other languages which aren't so obscure that are doing pretty well for themselves in terms of scaling, like French.

Samir97

HSC
Mathematics 98/100 (20th in state)
Mathematics X1 48/50
Biology 92

Santaisfake96

HSC
Hey guys,
Im a year 11 student who did the HSC 2 unit maths course as part of an accelerated maths program. Unfortunately i found 4 unit too time consuming so dropped back to 3 u maths. Now my 2u HSC mark comes into play. I got band. 6 with HSC mark of 92 in 2u maths which has an atar equivalent of 97.1 according to coaching school atar calculators. Im worried that next year's 2 unit will be easier and hence it might be lower than 97.1, or will this 97.1 be fixed in along with my other atar equivalents for other subjects for my averaged ATAR next year no matter wtf goes on next year?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
the test cannot be much easier than any other, BOS can't make tests easier than others, all are equally the same in difficulty. (most cases)

Santaisfake96

HSC
Ok, but will that 97.1 atar equivalent be fixed in no matter what, i.e, my ATAR average will have included 97.1?

Randox

HSC
N/A
the test cannot be much easier than any other, BOS can't make tests easier than others, all are equally the same in difficulty. (most cases)
Not exactly true... This years 2 unit test was the hardest since 2003 imo and is reflected by the aligning. Last years 2 unit test was one of the easiest ones and needed a much higher raw to get a band 6. The cut off for this year looks like 75/100 while last years was 84/100.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
what was band 6 cutoff for 2013 and 2012?

Randox

HSC
N/A
Ok, but will that 97.1 atar equivalent be fixed in no matter what, i.e, my ATAR average will have included 97.1?
You are using last years data to get to that number (unless you used an atar calc which used the very recently produced tables bu UAC). Anyway you should keep that atar equivalent but I'm not 100% sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)