Shawshank Redemption as a Related Text (1 Viewer)

acevipa

HSC
I just wanted to find out whether the film, 'The Shawshank Redemption' related to any of the Immigrant Chronicle poems and which one. I actually haven't seen the film yet and would like to know whether its suitable as a related text for Skrzynecki.

Also, would anyone have any other suggestions for related texts to Immigrant Chronicles.

bored of sc

HSC
Films? 'The Craic' starring Jimeoin. It's a comedy. It's about the journey of two illegal immigrants. Perfect related text for the whole 'cultural' dilemma of being immigrant, issues of racism/stereotypes, government control etc.

jurlz

HSC
Yes it seems to be a good film to do for the Related text for Imm Chr.
however i havnt seen it recently and need some aspects of belonging to base my trial arguement

jurlz

HSC
ok so after watching it and 2 - 4 mins of thinking and writing i got this as a couple of points

Shawshank Belonging aspects:

Roof Scene: work for beer for his friends, earns him the respect of his peers and Hadley. He does this even though he is nearly thrown off the roof. This is done so that he and his workmates all feel like they belong outside of the prison and as if they are normal people.
As a result for his work to Hadley, Hadley beats “Bogs” (leader of the sisters) to the extent where he is permanently incapacitated.

Walk in:
The prisoners fist walk into the main holding area totally naked, their nudity representing a uniform. Because of their nudity they don't belong with the guards, prisoners or society. They only belong with the naked man standing next to them

Sisters:
considered sick minded people whom thrive on raping other inmates, they take a liking to Andy. They are so detached from the other inmates that Red doesn't look at them as human beings.

if i can pull this in 2 mins of thinking it is easy to say that this is an easy text to use, it is full of aspects of belonging that are relivant to your exams

EASY!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)