Shift work, Uni Balance (1 Viewer)

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Recently applied for a job as Trainee Dealer at Crown and got the job. So firstly, does anyone else do or has done this? Would love your opinions on it.

But my main question, even though I applied for a "Part-Time" position, I've been told that I must work anywhere from 64-128 hours a week. I'll only be given 8 or 10 hour shifts which go from ~8pm-~4am.

I'll be trying to manage this whilst going to University next year (plain Arts degree). Has anyone else done shift work like this whilst attending Uni? How'd you get the uni-work-social life balance sorted out? Did it work for you? etc. etc.

Would appreciate any advice.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Haha, type on the slideshow they gave us, not my mistake <_< Or maybe it was per month...

In that case I don't know what the total is, but I'd guess it'd be around 3-5 8 hour shifts a week.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
128 hours a week means 18 hours a day. I m pretty sure its month

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
Unless you really need that amount of money each week (I.e you have rent to pay..?) there's really no point. However, you are doing an arts degree so you may as well get used to being a lowly shift worker.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
You could probably manage 2-3 days of work around uni, especially if you get an awesome 3 day timetable like what I got this year. I worked 2-3 days a week throughout the year even during exams and am so far sitting on straight HDs, mind you, I've been used to it since I worked around 16-20 hours a week all throughout VCE (excluding exam time), so it's definitely managable. It really depends on how you prioritise your tasks and manage your time in the end.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
I'm not too concerned about time management. What I'm really worried about is how working 8pm-4am will fuck me up. It'd be fine if I did it all the time, but I'll be constantly shifting from that cycle to going to Uni in the day :O

Such good pay and bonuses for this job though, it's very tempting...

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not too concerned about time management. What I'm really worried about is how working 8pm-4am will fuck me up. It'd be fine if I did it all the time, but I'll be constantly shifting from that cycle to going to Uni in the day :O

Such good pay and bonuses for this job though, it's very tempting...
good point, yeah those hours would suck hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)