Shifting courses...(for psychology)..??? (1 Viewer)

sm16

HSC
i just wanted to enquire! I am pretty interested in the course but failed to make it to the UAI cutoff! I got 91 which is enough for me to enroll into a science course and then maybe shift to Psychology later. But i dont know if thats possible. I mean can someone enroll into a random science course and then move into Psychology? Or what other course can be done to move into Psychology later on!

Please...any kind of information will be apreciated.........

EdmondDW

HSC
I think it depends on ur first yr's WAM...If it is high enough...
But I duno too much...u can email to science student office or go there directly... They will be on work after 04/01/09...Hmm

deadfishlol

HSC
N/A
Qualification wise, B Psych is exactly the same as BSc(Hon) or B Adv science.

All B Psych is a B Science that automatically locks you into a Psych major, requires you to maintain a 65+ WAM to "stay in or get demoted to BSc", and gets you a guaranteed honours year as long you've maintained the marks. Keep in mind with B Science all you need to do is maintain a credit average (i.e. 65 WAM) to get into honours.

EDIT: I guess there is that one course in 1st year that only B Psych students can get into, no idea how much of a difference it makes lol

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yah there is bascially no difference. Go for Adv science majoring in Psychology.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Qualification wise, B Psych is exactly the same as BSc(Hon) or B Adv science.

All B Psych is a B Science that automatically locks you into a Psych major, requires you to maintain a 65+ WAM to "stay in or get demoted to BSc", and gets you a guaranteed honours year as long you've maintained the marks. Keep in mind with B Science all you need to do is maintain a credit average (i.e. 65 WAM) to get into honours.

EDIT: I guess there is that one course in 1st year that only B Psych students can get into, no idea how much of a difference it makes lol
No, I've read otherwise. B Psych students are not guaranteed places in fourth year. They'd still need to compete with B Science and B Advanced Science students at the end of third year.

For 2007 and 2008 anyway, yes, B Psych and B Advanced Science students did need a 65+ average to stay in their program. However, they needed a 70+ to progress to honours, as do B Science students.

B Science entry in the 2009 UNSW Handbook said:
For entry to Honours a student must complete the following Level I, II and III Psychology courses with an average of at least 70%.
In 2009 though, B Psych, B Advanced Science and B Science students all need a 70+ average.

To OP, I suppose as long as you do all the subjects stated here with an average of 70+, you'll be fine to do Psych. Though, I am unsure if the 70 average applies to level one courses too.

Also, I'm not sure if everything I've posted is 100% correct. But it sounds right, if that helps.

Linear

HSC
From what I read, if you're doing B Science then you need to pass the level I courses in order to get into the level II and III courses. The level II and III courses you need to achieve a WAM of 70+ in order to get into honours. I think this is the same for B Adv Science and B Psyc.

I was wondering, is there an available percentage for the number of students who are able to get into honours?

(EDIT: Actually, I just had a look in the handbook and it says you need an average of 70 for level I, II and III psyc courses)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)