Shipwrecks, Corrosion and Conservation (2 Viewers)

mithril1337

HSC
I thought i'd make this thread since theres a few people wanting to talk about shipwrecks.

What did you write for:

Write two half equations to explain the presence of the blue and pink colours in
dish
B.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
You scared me for a moment I thought you were referring to which nail would be protected from corrosion which was dish C.

For the blue colour due to the ferricyanide ion combining with the iron(II) ion I wrote: Fe(s) --> Fe2+ + 2e-

For the pink colour due to the phenolphthalein reacting with the hydroxide ion I wrote:
0.5O2(g) + H2O + 2e- --> 2OH-

EDIT:
I used the Standard Potentials table so I didn't include extra states.

Last edited:

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
Forbidden. said:
For the blue colour due to the ferricyanide ion combining with the iron(II) ion I wrote: Fe(s) --> Fe2+ + 2e-

For the pink colour due to the phenolphthalein reacting with the hydroxide ion I wrote:
0.5O2(g) + H2O + 2e- --> 2OH-
Thats what i got =]

this section was easy,
though i would of liked the 'role of scientist' question to be more than 4marks, as i knew so much about them =/

Fair test ^^

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Unwant3d said:
Thats what i got =]

this section was easy,
though i would of liked the 'role of scientist' question to be more than 4marks, as i knew so much about them =/

Fair test ^^
Me too !
I expected the role of chemists question to make a majestic appearance with 4 or more marks as it hasn't been seen in previous years.

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
Same here,
i knew it'd be in the exam
but i was expecting 6 or 7 marker thus preparing for it rather thourghly
but it was 4 i was like! omg! thats one mark per scientist lol

and i knew the 'corrosion protection' and restoration long response wouldnt be in it and i was right =]

mithril1337

HSC
Ummm

the question on early scientists wasn't focusing on theirachievments but more importantly the implications thereof ?

whaddayathnk

mithril1337

HSC
Forbidden. said:
Haha, I didn't listen to my Chemistry teacher that we should research two Australian maritime wrecks (was it?) and that point wasn't very significant in the exam.
Damnit i spent soo much time studing the SS Xantho and Trottmans Anchor

Lol's you got lucky :)

Autumn_Rain

HSC
I can't believe I wasted about 5 hours of my life memorising all the restoration stuff... Stupid BOS examiners.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
mithril1337 said:
Damnit i spent soo much time studing the SS Xantho and Trottmans Anchor

Lol's you got lucky :)
I bet you got that from the Maquarie study guide, hooray for those who use textbooks/study guides rather than proper reliable research :D.

Plus, my Chemistry teacher may have contradicted himself.
He gave us material to research but he said in the HSC they will not specifically ask the name of the wreck and how it was restored but instead the methods on restoration.

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
mithril1337 said:
Ummm

the question on early scientists wasn't focusing on theirachievments but more importantly the implications thereof ?

whaddayathnk
well you couldnt talk about the implications of their findings without talking about their findings first.

Its like saying, yeah i won, but without sayin what i won.

As for the research two australian wrecks thing, yeah completely disregarded that
haha, has it been thoughrly asked?

don't worry i wasted several hours getting my restoration response just right haha.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Unwant3d said:
well you couldnt talk about the implications of their findings without talking about their findings first.

Its like saying, yeah i won, but without sayin what i won.

As for the research two australian wrecks thing, yeah completely disregarded that
haha, has it been thoughrly asked?

don't worry i wasted several hours getting my restoration response just right haha.
Just like the role of a chemist question, anyone who didn't research at all would say something like,
"Ben Dover's wooden yacht called the SS Smoke crashed among the reef and had to be restored with PEG.".
They won't be bothered verifying hundreds of different names, so they will go for something more generic such as asking for the methods of restoration.

In this year's exam I think they had more Shiprecks and Corrosion than Conservation.

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
Forbidden. said:
In this year's exam I think they had more Shiprecks and Corrosion than Conservation.
well they would wouldnt they?
they asked like a full page on how you would restore 3 different types of metals last year, so they couldnt really ask it again. =/

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Unwant3d said:
well they would wouldnt they?
they asked like a full page on how you would restore 3 different types of metals last year, so they couldnt really ask it again. =/
They can come in different variants.
The Haber process made its way into our exam this year with only one question, if I got that wrong (like I did with the dilution equation) then those multiple lessons our class spent on researching the Haber Process is wasted.

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
i know what you mean, i was dissappointed that "CFC's, Acid rain Estirification or the Haber Process" didnt get asked as a long response, as they are my best topics =/

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Unwant3d said:
i know what you mean, i was dissappointed that "CFC's, Acid rain Estirification or the Haber Process" didnt get asked as a long response, as they are my best topics =/
In the HSC they will slip in variants of a certain topic that they know students (or should I say candidates) have struggled over for years.

k4t5UM0t0

HSC
What sort of things should I have written for the 6 mark question? It was so badly worded, I didn't know whether to write about the history of shipwrecks or not.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
k4t5UM0t0 said:
What sort of things should I have written for the 6 mark question? It was so badly worded, I didn't know whether to write about the history of shipwrecks or not.
How different metals must be developed to prevent corrosion over the years.

sickdog12

HSC
k4t5UM0t0 said:
yeah i found that a little tricky to begin with but worked around it...

all in all.....shipwrecks = good! could of been heaps worse

codyjh

HSC
Forbidden. said:
The Haber process made its way into our exam this year with only one question, if I got that wrong (like I did with the dilution equation).
wat question was the haber process, i cant remember lol. abit of a blur

i fucked the concentration one to, realisted it was diprotic lik 3 mins before the end and didnt hav enough time to change all my answers for the 3 questions. sigh. if u used the 0.005 mol/L concentration for the first question (the colour of the solution) will they take more marks off if u use that same concentration in the next two questions?? i hope not =[ cause ill lose lik 5-6 marks =[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)