Shit class and weird tereacher for ancient! any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey so as you know, i have a shit class for ancient.
They are disruptive rude and intolerable, the teacher doesn't really control them and even jokes around with them><'.
Unfortunately for me, I have the shittiest class out of all three,
he hands put sheets and I do them, and If we have topic he will explain them but i just believe that if i had another teacher my knowledge and source of information will be far greater.

In saying so, I do have a textbook at home and can study from them, I can also ask him any private questions. (he is a hsc marker)

What do you think I should do, ask to move classes, or stay in the same one.
I also wish to maintain my ranking of last year which was 1st in history.

Thanks,

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Talk to your parents and any other non disruptive kids in your class and see if you can get them and their parents to complain to the school.

Personally I would fight to move classes. It will affect you and you will have to do extra work to keep up yet alone stay on top. Try to move classes, talk to the head of the HSIE dept or your deputy prinicpal.

Are all the anicent history classes on the same subject line?

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
You can't really talk to the teacher without hurting him. If you complain about the disruptive students to him your basically telling him hes incompetent and if you ask to leave because of them its the same thing.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If there's another ancient on the line, you should probably switch. If there are none on the line, either complain, pick another subject or gear up for some self study.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
If you approached the relevant cordinator at my old school he would have laughed you out of his office and told you to get over it to be honest. Regardless, I would fight like Jaundice said very hard to be moved.

I'm not sure how timetabling is done at your school, but I think as a last resort you could wait until Year 12 (which doesn't sound ideal considering your situation and I don't recommend relying on this) in the hope that if you drop a subject your timetable will change. Atleast mine completely rearranged itself except for extension english.

Just explain the situation to who ever is in charge (hopefully they aren't like the bloke at my old school) and I'm sure they'll understand and will help you work something out.

HSC
Yea, I talked to the head teacher of HSIE,
He was quite nice though told me to approach the teacher and tell him about it,
But like i dont want to be insulting him on his methods of teaching,
And he suggested me to tell on the disruptive people to him, so he can have a little "chat" with them,
but like I don't wanna cause any trouble,

There is another line like at the exact same periods that i have for ancient history but I have to attempt those stages beofre i can change,
Sighs. Thanks for the advice guys!

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
And he suggested me to tell on the disruptive people to him, so he can have a little "chat" with them,

There is another line like at the exact same periods that i have for ancient history but I have to attempt those stages beofre i can change,
Okay try that. Good luck and fight your hardest to get out of there.

If you get your parents to complain (A LOT) you'll have higher chances of getting the school to move you before trying those methods. I had to do this in another subject. If your parents kick up a big enough stink the school will give in. They can't have the number one student not getting taught properly and it reflects poorly on them.

Its really no issue moving one student if there is room in that class. Its only an issue if more students start complaining and want to move too so if you keep it quiet and get the parents in first you might be alright. Good luck.

Last edited:
HSC

If he is super nice, and you are super dedicated, perhaps he can organise an extension session outside the normal period. Perhaps a common free period or a few minutes during break times to answer any questions you have.

Having said that though, if you know you can get into a better AH class environment I think you should go right ahead and swap.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
That sounds a bit tricky actually, because I'd assume the teacher would take offence.

Head teacher of HSIE didn't sound too helpful. Is there anyone else you can talk to higher up? Subject cordinator etc?

If you do speak to your teacher, just say something like 'the people in this class make it hard for me to learn and I think I'd get the best marks if I moved into a more settled environment in another of the classes'. Try and make the point that it has nothing to do with his teaching ability.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Head of HSIE should have been talking to the teacher. How lazy and incompetent of him. Its not her job to complain and dobb on other students. Shes supposed to be trying to learn not paying attention to what students are doing so she can dobb on them.

HSC
Uni Grad
Teach yourself!

I go to a fucking dropkick school, the majority of students in my cohort are only here because they can't find apprenticeships yet. Most of my teachers are shit an my classes are extremely disruptive, my Physics teacher says she only bothers because of me. If you can afford it then get a tutor, I've resorted to teaching myself everything and so far it's been working well (averaging 95-100% in every subject except English).

BonesFanatic

HSC
I would speak to the teacher. He probably doesn't even realise that you're being disrupted, and he might try to control his jokes a bit more. As for the students in your class, if you can't ignore them, as harsh as it is, you're going have to complain. Either complain to your teacher or complain to a higher authority. If you don't think you're up for teaching yourself, you'd better get onto it quick.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Teach yourself!

I go to a fucking dropkick school, the majority of students in my cohort are only here because they can't find apprenticeships yet. Most of my teachers are shit an my classes are extremely disruptive, my Physics teacher says she only bothers because of me. If you can afford it then get a tutor, I've resorted to teaching myself everything and so far it's been working well (averaging 95-100% in every subject except English).
This is actually pretty good advice in my opinion, and it also prepares you for university where everything is pretty much based on self learning. Lectures provide a foundation for you to adsorb the material in depth by yourself later on, and tutorials are there for you to go over what you've learned and ask questions.

I was in the exact same position, althought I can almost gauruntee my school was at the very least twice as bad as what you're describing. My business studies class consisted of things no body would probably believe, including throwing crap into the fans while the teacher was talking and watching it explode onto the white board. By the end of the year, a good 6-8 people were banned from the class for various reasons and were given activities to complete in the office. The only decent learning environments were advanced and extension english.

Deathless

HSC
Hey so as you know, i have a shit class for ancient.
They are disruptive rude and intolerable, the teacher doesn't really control them and even jokes around with them><'.
Unfortunately for me, I have the shittiest class out of all three,
he hands put sheets and I do them, and If we have topic he will explain them but i just believe that if i had another teacher my knowledge and source of information will be far greater.

In saying so, I do have a textbook at home and can study from them, I can also ask him any private questions. (he is a hsc marker)

What do you think I should do, ask to move classes, or stay in the same one.
I also wish to maintain my ranking of last year which was 1st in history.

Thanks,
^^^

Similar scenario. It worked out for me. Self-teaching is the way to go!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
OT, but Zooey is legendary!

I think you should self teach just in case you can't get out of the class. I think you are a least mildly lucky that a history is one of the easier subjects (depends on the person) to self teach if you put the effort in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)