Shit marks, need help on finding alternatives to getting into my course! (1 Viewer)

Laughable

HSC
An honest thread looking for honest answers.
My ATAR: 73.45 (lower than estimates on ATAR calculators...)
Course I want to get into:
  • Bachelor of Health Science/ Master of Physiotherapy (UWS): 98.00 ATAR cut-off
  • BACHELOR OF APPLIED SCIENCE PHYSIOTHERAPY (USYD): 98.35 ATAR cut-off

I know... I'm fucking stupid enough not to try hard for my HSC which I sorely regret over but since I can't change any of that, I just want to know if there is any possibility at all for me to get into Physiotherapy? Are there any alternatives to getting into Physio?

The reason why I haven't completely given up hope is that I know this guy who got an ATAR of 50 but he got into Physiotherapy (not sure if it was a Main round offer or Late), so I'm hoping that somehow I'll also get lucky? What do you think?

Also, I'm eligible for 5 bonus points for living in Greater Western Sydney and Centrelink. I'm not sure how many bonus points that adds up to though!

Anyway, some other courses that I'm also interested in, but not as much as Physio (not that some of them are any easier to get into lol):
  • Occupational Therapy (Either at USYD or UWS)
  • Pharmacy at USYD
  • Bachelor of Forensic Biology in Biomedical Science at UTS (I get 4 subject bonus points for Bio and Chem)
  • Bachelor of Visual Communications (Eh... More of a last resort)

Anyway uh I'm not sure if I missed anything but yeah HELP PLEASE?

Laughable

HSC
I'm not sure but I just know that I am eligible for EAS.
Ah I don't think that's the case. He said that the uni (not sure which one) he got into accepted him because of vacancies, so I'm assuming he applied right after HSC? Not sure though I'll need to ask a friend about that.

Stupid question, but what's GAMSAT?

Laughable

HSC
50.XX! I'd really like to ask him more questions but I only had a talk with him for about 5 minutes before he left (he was visiting my school at the time). He said his externals were great (band 5s and 6s) but his ranks pulled him down so bad so he ended up with an ATAR of around 50.

AH I see! I know for certain I won't get accepted into Physio immediately so I'll think about looking into that. Does it matter what course I do?

I read on the Flexible Entry scheme at USYD and there's a bit of info if you don't get into Physio:
"If your ATAR doesn't meet the required cut-off, consider the Bachelor of Health Sciences (BHS). Graduates with a credit average in the BHS, and with the required major are eligible to apply for a place in the Graduate Entry Master’s degree programs. Contact the Faculty of Health Sciences directly on +61 2 9351 9161 for more information."

Would this be a suitable alternative pathway for getting into Physio? Also is a credit average hard to achieve?

Ryan_T90

HSC
50.XX! I'd really like to ask him more questions but I only had a talk with him for about 5 minutes before he left (he was visiting my school at the time). He said his externals were great (band 5s and 6s) but his ranks pulled him down so bad so he ended up with an ATAR of around 50.

AH I see! I know for certain I won't get accepted into Physio immediately so I'll think about looking into that. Does it matter what course I do?

I read on the Flexible Entry scheme at USYD and there's a bit of info if you don't get into Physio:
"If your ATAR doesn't meet the required cut-off, consider the Bachelor of Health Sciences (BHS). Graduates with a credit average in the BHS, and with the required major are eligible to apply for a place in the Graduate Entry Master’s degree programs. Contact the Faculty of Health Sciences directly on +61 2 9351 9161 for more information."

Would this be a suitable alternative pathway for getting into Physio? Also is a credit average hard to achieve?
The Bachelor of Health Sciences at the University of Sydney would be a great option, it's a longer route (really only an extra year) but if you work hard enough then Physiotherapy would definitely be on the cards. The course is 3 years and you get to choose your major, and in your case if you wanted to do Physiotherapy then you'd major in 'Movement Science' while also completing units specific to the BHS course. It's a very flexible course. Following this, if you maintained a credit average you could apply for a Masters of Physiotherapy at the University of Sydney, and as far as I'm aware, the university holds spots open for people who have graduated with a BHS from Sydney.

A Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science from the University of Western Sydney or University of Sydney would also be a good option. It's three years but the great thing about this degree is that once you have completed it there are many different Masters opportunities you can take in the case that you have second thoughts about Physiotherapy. Sport and Exercise Science will generally be accepted when applying for such Masters courses like Occupational Therapy, Podiatry, Physiotherapy and Nutrition and Dietetics.

Laughable

HSC
Thanks for the help guys, I've changed my course preferences to help me get into Physio so hopefully things will go ok for me. :)

Laughable

HSC
I just found out that the guy who got into Physiotherapy was from last year's HSC! He got accepted into UWS's Physiotherapy course if you wanted to know.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
An honest thread looking for honest answers.
My ATAR: 73.45 (lower than estimates on ATAR calculators...)
Course I want to get into:
  • Bachelor of Health Science/ Master of Physiotherapy (UWS): 98.00 ATAR cut-off
  • BACHELOR OF APPLIED SCIENCE PHYSIOTHERAPY (USYD): 98.35 ATAR cut-off

I know... I'm fucking stupid enough not to try hard for my HSC which I sorely regret over but since I can't change any of that, I just want to know if there is any possibility at all for me to get into Physiotherapy? Are there any alternatives to getting into Physio?

The reason why I haven't completely given up hope is that I know this guy who got an ATAR of 50 but he got into Physiotherapy (not sure if it was a Main round offer or Late), so I'm hoping that somehow I'll also get lucky? What do you think?

Also, I'm eligible for 5 bonus points for living in Greater Western Sydney and Centrelink. I'm not sure how many bonus points that adds up to though!

Anyway, some other courses that I'm also interested in, but not as much as Physio (not that some of them are any easier to get into lol):
  • Occupational Therapy (Either at USYD or UWS)
  • Pharmacy at USYD
  • Bachelor of Forensic Biology in Biomedical Science at UTS (I get 4 subject bonus points for Bio and Chem)
  • Bachelor of Visual Communications (Eh... More of a last resort)

Anyway uh I'm not sure if I missed anything but yeah HELP PLEASE?
Hi, I would encourage you to apply for the Bachelor of Health Science. After studying this course for a year, you could apply for an internal transfer into the combined program with physiotherapy. Please be aware that the Bachelor of Health Science pathway to Physiotherapy is very competitive so it is a good idea to have a backup plan. For example, be willing to transfer into the less competitive occupational therapy or be happy to complete a general Bachelor of Health Science. For further information on admission into UWS, please contact us on 1300 897 669 or on study@uws.edu.au. Best regards, Team U.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Moldy..are you a worker at UWS or something? UWS course info? Huh?! lol

Do UWS Admins serve future students in the Bored of studies site too? LOL...thats funny..lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)