Short Answer (1 Viewer)

liamkk112

HSC
Yeah I'm pretty sure this would get 6/6, it's just about getting everything down in the time constraints now. Nice work. More general question, if the question asks about a specific technique (imagery, metaphor etc) will the markers pay talking about other techniques in a response? i.e. the question was about imagery, does all your analysis have to be types of images?
as long as the imagery synthesises with the other techniques it should be fine ig... i mean if the text has like two instances of imagery and its a 6 marker it would be silly otherwise

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Yeah I'm pretty sure this would get 6/6, it's just about getting everything down in the time constraints now. Nice work. More general question, if the question asks about a specific technique (imagery, metaphor etc) will the markers pay talking about other techniques in a response? i.e. the question was about imagery, does all your analysis have to be types of images?
usually if they ask about something e.g imagery its very broad, if its a metaphor then it usually is extended
the authors build these through multiple techniques in their text anyways to establish the imagery or metaphor so u can use other ones too.

qldbulls

HSC
thats good af aside from what band6 said, language like overall and lastly is like a "fake formal" voice and is redundant. my english teacher would literally kill me if i used overall or in conclusion lmao
Does this apply to the essays as well?? I often find myself using words like "firstly" "lastly" "overall" in 20 markers could this be an issue?
I used both "conclusively" and "overall" in my mod A assessment task and it got 20/20 so I was thinking those words would actually be encouraged but evidently not?

liamkk112

HSC
Does this apply to the essays as well?? I often find myself using words like "firstly" "lastly" "overall" in 20 markers could this be an issue?
I used both "conclusively" and "overall" in my mod A assessment task and it got 20/20 so I was thinking those words would actually be encouraged but evidently not?
i think its not THAT big of a deal, its just that some people are nitpicky about it like my english teacher... which is valid, as like I said its sort of redundant as ur conclusion sentence should feel conclusive and not require "in conclusion" if yk what i mean. but i really don't think it will make a radical difference

liamkk112

HSC
i think its not THAT big of a deal, its just that some people are nitpicky about it like my english teacher... which is valid, as like I said its sort of redundant as ur conclusion sentence should feel conclusive and not require "in conclusion" if yk what i mean. but i really don't think it will make a radical difference
basically if the habit is already there and its embedded in ur writing style then i wouldnt panic

band6yesplease

HSC
Exactly what liamk said in essays its your analysis that is the most important but its very icky to start paragraphs with things like "firstly"
If your analysis is good enough these things don't really matter but they will bolster up your writing, particularly when you're kindof being marked in comparison to other essays so you want to appear stronger and more confident.
But that's right if its a habit it's not that important its just a tip to make your writing more fluent

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
Can somebody inform me of best ways to:
i) answer short answers about paradox, inconsistencies and the other thing I forgot (do you just say this technique reveals the paradox of blah blah blah or what idk)
ii) answer comparative sa's (I do it like a mini module A essay but idk how you're meant to)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
i had a 6 mark paradox q in my trials i wouldve sent it but i still dont have my paper back aftr the teacher took it away... im waiting lmfaoo
iirc u first establish the paradox and answer the question within the topic sentence. then find techniques that emphasises and builds onto this idea u are exploring.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Can somebody inform me of best ways to:
i) answer short answers about paradox, inconsistencies and the other thing I forgot (do you just say this technique reveals the paradox of blah blah blah or what idk)
ii) answer comparative sa's (I do it like a mini module A essay but idk how you're meant to)
(i) basically a topic sentence that states what the paradox is. then each quote is like reveals the paradoxical tendencies of ______- / the paradox of _____. if you want when i get home i can send a full mark sample answer - what i wrote in response to a question asking about paradoxes in my trials

(ii) intro saying what one text does and then what the other text does (if it's compare you need to also acknowledge what both texts do in common - so both texts do this. while one text does this, the other does that). then two paragraphs, one of each text, each with a quick topic sentence + 2x quotes. then 1-sentence conclusion

breadcrumbs

HSC
do we need to include composer purpose or links to the audience in short answer or is it just when it says stuff like 'evaluate' or 'to what extent' or 'how effectively'

user18181818

HSC
do we need to include composer purpose or links to the audience in short answer or is it just when it says stuff like 'evaluate' or 'to what extent' or 'how effectively'
i've been told that you only link to the audience in the last sentence for 4+ markers but for anything less just techniques - but lmk if anyone else has been told other stuff because my school can be wack sometimes (most of the time)

abelsj01

HSC
i've noticed that in a lot of you guys' exemplar responses, you extrapolate outside of the text itself and talk about how this is reflective of society etc etc. is this best to do for all questions or just the longer ones? i definitely need more practice with this

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
i've noticed that in a lot of you guys' exemplar responses, you extrapolate outside of the text itself and talk about how this is reflective of society etc etc. is this best to do for all questions or just the longer ones? i definitely need more practice with this
depends on the question/author purpose

If the question is: how does the author use ___ technique in the text you won't extrapolate it much but if its something like how does the author convey the importance of family then you'd have to extrapolate to answer the question

ms_grape_taco

HSC
ps if u want more answers i suggest doing these short answer papers as ive done them already (gunning for that 20/20 in english to mirror trials)
  • 2020 hsc
  • Barker 2019
  • ruse 2022
  • fort st 2019
  • unsw prac paper
  • ascham 2022
  • syd girls 2021
  • Bauko 2019
  • Shore 2019
  • syd girls 2022
  • baulko 2022
  • Central coast grammar 2022
  • i def did a couple more i just can't find the paper names lol\
  • Barker 2022
  • Fort 2022
  • Fort 2023
hey synthesis which short answer paper do you think is the most similar to the hsc standard - as an advanced student (other than the hsc papers obviously)?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)